1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

So, About them Dominion...

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Evion, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

The plan is to make this a two-faction game, but this far everything we have seen/heard has been from the Exiles side, from gameplay to the trailer cinematic. They have made the Exile characters funny, dynamic, and interesting, and it is easy to sympathize with the motivation of the Exiles -trying to find a new home.

I am curious - How are they going to make the Dominion appealing? If you were to ask the people on this board, I'm betting the majority would respond "Aw yeah Exile all the way!" with the few exceptions of those that want to be different or play a faction for PVP balance reasons. With all of the pro-exile information we've been given, how do you think Carbine can sell the Dominion as the side you'd want to play? And if they are the "bad" guys as they seem to be, how should that play out? Should they go the route of the SWTOR Empire with "We are efficient and cold and effective" or more of WoW's Horde style of "We're just misunderstood with some skeletons in our closet"?
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I'd love to see a "We are the good guys, and the Exiles are insurgents/terrorists out to disrupt our stability/jealous of our Empire"

But if they're going traditional bad guys, then let's see a Star Wars Empire-esque setup!
    ObliviousPrime likes this.
  3. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

I would also like to see two sides who think they are the good guys. A lot of it will depend on what the Dominion look like. If they are ugly brutes then it would seem natural to have a good and bad side. If they are generally pleasing to the eye then they would be a good fit for the good vs. good scenario. They might also be crazy odd looking and would attract players based on the fact that they look different. It would also set up a nice scenario of "they don't look like us so they must be the enemy." I like that last scenario the best and it lends itself well to the good vs. good scenario.
  4. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Would this be the first time in a decade where more players played the "good" side over the bad side?

I think an idea of order (Dominion) over chaos (Exiles) could be appealing. But already, the Dominion sound evil just by their name. Most people don't like something that sounds tyrannical. The only other way I can see the Dominion sounding appealing is by making the Exiles seem a little less appealing. E.g. when I played Skyrim, I decided to join the Stormcloaks because I disagreed with the "tyranny" that the Empire and its legion epitomized. However, the more I got to know the Stormcloaks, the more I realized that they were extremely racist and constantly hunted down anything besides Nords. Suddenly, the "tyranny" of the Empire didn't seem so bad.
    Zap-Robo likes this.
  5. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

From what I can gather from reading all the interviews and such, the Dominion are getting a pretty race to rival the Aurin as well as probably some big grunt badass type race, so visially, apart from gear looks I don't actually think there will be much in the way of difference between the two factions. by that i mean they will appeal to similar people. Someone who might play an Aurin might also play whatever analogue in the Dominion. Story-wise, they would be smart to 'sell' the Dominion as the good guys from their point of view as well. Seems to be a bit of consensus there. At least it's how i'd like to see it done. Sure, both factions are against each other, but that doesn't nessecarily mean one is good, the other evil. It simply means they are opposed.
  6. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

I always like to play the less popular faction to be a bit more unique
  7. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Would also be neat to find the Eldan one day and discover they do not like either side, in fact are quite mad that we are abusing their technology. Then we could have 3 sides to play against each other.
    Frozenoak likes this.
  8. Tiktak

From what I've seen of them, the Eldan are the -REAL- bad guys!

The Dominion should look and feel bad enough to be cool, whilst not actually being the bad guys. They just see the universe differently.

(As an aside, I think we'll know the game is close, when we start to see game play footage and back story to the Dominion side...)
    ObliviousPrime likes this.
  9. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I hope I can be as sarcastic and condescending as a Sith.
    Without making them look ugly but just slightly evil and cool.
  10. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I'm real excited to see more about the Dominion. I'm also hoping for the Imperial-esque point of view when it comes to them. Sure they will probably be the "baddies" but meh. Nothing saying you can't have an army load of Darth Vaders running about, seemingly forced to be the bad guy because they feel they have nothing left, it's their only chance of survival, etc, etc.

I have always chosen the least popular faction when playing MMO's. As long as the races are aesthetically pleasing- OR -they have a rich lore behind them, I will play them. We don't even know everything about the Exiles yet, all the races, the classes, lore, etc... We need MOAR! :D
  11. Tiktak

I have to wonder how much backstory they have written up about the races and factions...

I mean, without giving much away about the game, they could do a load of WildStar Wednsdays just filling out random bits of lore fluff about the different races the two factions, even the NPC factions we won't get to play as, but will most likely end up botting around the game world...

And I don't think we have enough information about the Dominion to know yet wether they will be the more popular faction or not, heh heh. Still... Black and Red... it worked for the Sith Empire...
  12. ImmortalExile

I hope every week we get a new slice of lore info on Nexus, the Eldan, the Exiles, the different Species, etc. I guess we will start finding out more as the game gets closer. I'm a lore junkie, so I just get a little too excited sometimes. Lol! I think though, sidetracking the OP, that I'll definitely be a Scientist because of the lore background unlocks and stuff.
    Back on topic...
    Evion likes this.
  13. Evion

Hehe, yes obviously this is all speculation since our info is extremely limited (need my lore fix, man!), I wanted to focus/speculate on what would make the Dominion an appealing faction to YOU given what little we know so far (invade and drive other races from their homes).

The basic agreements so far seem to be:
    1: They see themselves as the Power for Good, painting exiles as potential radicals.
    2: perhaps forced into it, survive by joining versus fighting.

I agree that visuals will play a strong part, at least in my decision. I've always been a very visual person and play what I think looks most interesting design-wise.

Since Carbine has said they'll balance the "style" of races on both sides (something slender and pretty, something big and tough-looking) what kind of takes on those character styles would you like to see?
  14. ImmortalExile

I imagine BOTH factions having Humans. At least, I think it'd make sense. I would like the Granok alt of the Dominion to be something large, with hard skin, as well. Like a Dragon-Man-thing? Hard skin, ferocious looking with powerful features, and of course, brutal porototype weapons. I could see myself as this thing with a very cruel looking sword just running around and hacking away at some Aurin.... erm.... ahem, well, anyways...

What would make the Dominion appeal to me would be the style they take, their thought-process, lore, etc. I would want the Dominion to be powerful, but flawed in a way that they know they are weak. What I mean is, portray them as powerful, dominant figures, but also let the "human" side of them show through their acts. They enslave a planet? Well, they don't have to feel good about doing it, right? They defend themselves when attacked, but don't necessarily WANT to kill- that sort of thing.
    I guess I just want emotion to play a big part of the characters themselves.
  15. Tiktak

They are the force of Order. The main drive behind them is to bring the galaxy to the point of peace, wether through negotiation or failing that...the sword. Used as a last resort when all else fails. Thats pretty much what I'd imagine would be a cool enough backdrop for Carbine to bring me on board to ditch my Aurin ESPer Scientist and play a [pretty race] [random class] Explorer alt. :p

As to the Dominion pretty race? It can't really be all that animalistic, not with the Aurin it'd be too close. I think they will go with something else. Maybe a cutsie little person race like gnomes in WoW?
  16. Evion

I'm wondering of Carbine could pull off a classic grey alien type race with slightly more feline/elven proportions -tall, slender, large eyes, spindly fingers. But probably speculating on races is silly at this point because Carbine will come up with something cool that fits the feel of the game. I just hope we get to learn more soon!

(Oo, a cinematic from the Dominion's side with more class/race reveals for this year's Gamescom would be cool! Hehe, well I can dream!)
  17. Tiktak

That would be cool! Along with a playtest of those race/class combos with the other two paths maybe? *giddy*

In the Dominion Starting Zone too so we can get a bit of a feel for them.
  18. JarNod

Like the DragonBorn from DnD?

For some reason, I think of the Dominion as a little less eclectic than the Exiles. Like an Alliance across the whole galaxy where three species have decided on what is "best" for the galaxy. Kind of like Mass Effect's citadel races.
  19. Tiktak

Pretty much the same thing I'm thinking. 'Benevolent Dictatorship' kind of vibe too. "We know what's best for the galaxy even if you don't think we do."
  20. JarNod

Otherwise known as the Apple Syndrome... I kid I kid... :p
    Tiktak likes this.