1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

So do you have to pick the path that suits your character...For example...

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Alpen, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Alpen

Alpen New Cupcake

Does it matter if your go Scientist even if your a big Drakken Warrior? or do you have to go Soldier as your path because your a warrior? Im just wondering because I want to go esper but I think I would love to get Settler and build stuff too but is it ok to be a Cassian Esper/Settler? or should I go scientist if you go esper?
  2. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

It's totally open. Pick whatever combo you want.
  3. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Whatever you prefer. The only restriction in game is based on races and classes. Paths are open to everything!
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Unless your a min-maxer it's up to you to decide what to go, it doesn't matter (like the others said).
  5. LoweGearShift

LoweGearShift Cupcake

Mechari Stalker Soldier is where I'm going. I want to mash-up all the massive meanies! I want to slaughter anything that challenges the Dominion! All who oppose the iron will of the Dominion will fall by my plasma!

Any other characters I play will be either Explorer or Settler, I'll have to try them all to see what I like best in the end, much like my professions in WoW.
    AimLock likes this.
  6. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

I'm most likely going to be Chua Spellslinger (maybe a <Redacted> instead) and Explorer or Settler.

You pick your path at char creation and it's not restricted by class or race :)
    Rafael Dellamora likes this.
  7. CptCraig7

CptCraig7 New Cupcake

I really hope Paths don't calculate into any raid min/max, since it is a permanent choice (at least from what I have read) it would suck to reach elder content and turn out you picked a path that prevents you from pushing out the most DPS.
    Zadok likes this.
  8. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

i gonna be a aurin esper(or staff class if it comes out)/settler..........can we fix it? YES WE CAN.....if we can beat back the dominion forces first:D
  9. Evgen88

Evgen88 Cupcake-About-Town

Paths are just content, missions, ways to get xp. They are there for the types of people who play MMOs. It allows you to do content that you like. The only problem I see is that most people are mixes of the different types XD
    The most you might get is a way to unlock a shortcut in an instance like they have in SWTOR.

To directly answer the OP, if you as a player, like unlocking game lore, a scientist is a good idea for your Drakken Warrior. If you prefer exploring corners of the map, well, explorer would be better. Just want to fight more, soldier. Social butterfly? Settler. I can see settlers and soldiers being a lot more common, as Scientist and Explorer won't be as rewarding a second time around.
  10. AimLock

AimLock Cupcake

Paths are your personal play style .

But some classes will suit some path styles.

Stalkers will suit solders for example.

If you don't like lore don't be a scientist .

If you don't like jumping games don't be a explorer .

I personally like the idea of the settler but worry about competing with other players to but up structures ?
    LoweGearShift likes this.
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

It's awesome to see how you completely dismiss the fact that they also give you ''Spells/abilities'', thus having the potential of completely changing your playstyle, because you want to put 2 spells of your path in your LAS-bar.
    Also the fact how you not mentioning that you get ''items'' and other things like: A mount and something for your house, and a vanity item and ofcourse titles.
    So paths will have a bigger impact that what you just said ;)
  12. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Wonder if that stacks with chua being "tinkers"?
  13. Evgen88

Evgen88 Cupcake-About-Town

I did not realize that! I was speculating, recognized by use of the word "might" ;) and was thinking of things that would affect game play. While anything in fact does affect game play, an emote, a different visual for a mount, or a power only used for that path don't really affect gameplay.
    One path having a healing power for example, like herbalism in WoW, would make it attractive to any non healing class, and you wouldn't have to be a min maxer to do that.
    I'm glad I got you to mention all that stuff :D
  14. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

Carbine has said they don't want min/max gameplay. Their entire design is to help prevent min/max gameplay. Yes, the paths give you path abilities but they are not there to min/max your character, they are to make them unique. It would follow that the abilities are useful but when compared the multitude of other LAS combos you can build on your character I doubt they will stand out in end game content.
  15. binzer

binzer Cupcake

I'm having a hard time with this whole path thing (although I think it's awesome). At first I thought, "only 30% of the content? That's no big deal." Now I'm thinking, "Holy Moly, 30 whole percent?? That's a huge deal!!"

I know I don't want to be settler, but I'm super torn between the other 3, and I'm not big into re-rolling. I guess I'll have to research them like crazy if we get an open beta and there's more information available.

Personally though, matching my path to my class or race is completely insignificant. If anything, I think it's more fun not to match. Afterall, I don't want to just be some stereotype of my race!
  16. CptCraig7

CptCraig7 New Cupcake

That's good to know, as long as that stays true then choosing a path won't feel like investing money into tradeskills like WoW (even though you could change those, but at a cost of $$$ and time). Min/Max is nice to some aspect, but I am definitely interested to see how a non-centric min/max raid environment is like when Carbine releases elder game content.
  17. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

lol just got the mental image of a Draken Warrior Scientist - a whole new method of to dissection
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  18. Zadok

Zadok New Cupcake

At the very least Carbine need to offer a paid path change feature. Otherwise paths will create exactly the same issues that racial traits have caused in WoW.
  19. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

no. no path change - it'd be just like letting people change their class at max level - then they'd level as the easiest one and then change to the one that's best for Elder game
  20. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Sorry, not much of a WoW fan, what exactly are the issues racials caused?

I'm more of a completionist and prefer to do everything on one char, but even I think the option to pay for change should not be implemented