1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

So, should DPS classes/specs be completely balanced?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kalmander, Apr 12, 2013.

?

Should DPS classes/specs be completely balanced?

Poll closed Apr 19, 2013.
  1. Yes - All DPS classes should do the same damage! keep the world in balance, or it falls over!

39 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. No - It's ok if some claases do more damage than others. It's fine if my class is not #1 on charts.

80 vote(s)
    67.2%
  1. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Pretty straight forward question. Should Carbine strive to have all DPS classes do the same damage? Or is it ok for some classes to do more damage then others?

Is this balance in numbers so important to players, or can the developers play a bit more with the classes and have some do less damage, but have more utility, or compensated with other perks? What repercussions would this have when forming raids?
  2. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

If there was a system to keep everyone perfectly balanced I think it would be having everyone have the same skills with different names. Perfect balance is impossible without gutting any individuality the classes might have. That being said they should certainly try to have them well balanced as everyone presumably has utility to bring to the raid. If a class ends up with a bit less damage and more utility though it's not the end of the world.
    Dragnog likes this.
  3. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

No, because ranged classes will have an inherent advantage over melee classes. They can attack their target from further away and quicker. Besides, everyone having the exact same dps, is a pipedream. There are too many variables, you have the CBC, randomized stats, skills, slots, and how weighted some stats scale with other classes.

With regards to raids, dps isn't the most important thing that gets a class brought. It's usually buffs and debuffs and group synergy.
    ruff_ethereal, Khrusky and Simokon like this.
  4. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I chose option 2 . As long as I'm not 30 percent lower in dps , I'll be fine with it. This is coming from a ranged dps perspective.
  5. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

While they should never strive for perfect balance as it would be impossible or just make everything incredibly low. Any class spec'd into full damage should be within 10% of each other. The only way classes should be further then 10% apart is if they bring some kind of utility to the raid.

I don't buy that ranged dps should do less then melee. Most ranged classes require more cast time abilities limiting their mobility. On some fights being at range is an advantage and others require content movement that tanks caster dps. Most melee classes also have more survivability so it wouldn't be fair to give them a higher damage output as well.
  6. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I find it hard to think of a reason why I would pick a second place DPS class.
  7. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

I want utility builds to return. Give me a buffing DPS that does slightly less personal damage, but who increases the groups output more than a single pure would.
    Khrusky likes this.
  8. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

I think as long as each dps class can offer some sort of unique benefit to the group, then having classes with different levels of dps should be fine. If a class brings a lot of utility their dps should suffer, and likewise if a class brings little or no utility they should be very high on the dps meters.
  9. hoss87

hoss87 New Cupcake

I think if a class has more cc than another class, it should do less damage (for pvp purposes) don't want the WoW frostmage debacle do we? :D
  10. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

In most casts, melee does more damage than a ranged because they have to work their way toward the target. Ranged classes have a lot of tools to keep them away, or zone them, and a melee has to rely on their own survivability and tools to get in.

In a PvE prospective, ranged classes do move, but they can deal damage and move at the same time. Or time their movements with the global cooldown of their spells. A melee on the other hand, if they do move, they will not be on target, dropping their DPS uptime by a lot.

So melee should have more DPS than ranged. But overall, it balances out because of uptime and the like. They'll be within percentages of each other.
  11. Crybone

Crybone Cupcake-About-Town

While it seems like most people are fine with some "unbalance" in the class hierarchy. Though the voices we will hear the most is those who whine about the unbalance, i just hope the devs won't break under the pressure :p

As an example. I played thief in guildwars 2. The class was highly whined about because of a single skill was overpowered. The first nerf was justified, but people kept complaining. I played tanky thief with self healing. The following nerfs ruined my playstyle since I eventually lost all damage. This because one path was complained about.
  12. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

There aren't really DPS classes, as each class can DPS. Should each class' DPS role be equal? I think so. As far as ranged versus melee goes... that depends on the skills Carbine gives melee classes. In DCUO [during beta/release, when I played it] ranged did inherently less damage than melee supposedly to make up for the latter needing to be so close to their target, but then they also gave every melee user a Lunge ability that not only immediately closed any gap but stunned the target. I've seen video footage of Wildstar Warriors lunging at their target, so perhaps this game features a similar ability, in which case I think all DPS roles should dole out equal damage. If Carbine gives meaning to being "at range" then I probably won't mind if ranged damage is inherently lower.
  13. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

To me I really don't think the main debate of this topic should be ranged vs melee as that should always slightly favor a melee, due having to inside melee range to be capable of doing damgage. But we should be debating whether or not dps should bring unique utility as in buffs and debuffs, and how that should effect each dps class.
  14. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

With the ability to have limited action slots, I can see folks bringing all dps abilities or dps abilities and 2 buffs which reduces their dmg output by 5 percent due to less stuff to fit into a rotation but make up for it with their buffs or utilities etc.
  15. Rootmuncher

Rootmuncher New Cupcake

Well, there are two ways of balancing in an MMO.
    1) Classes have advantages and weaknesses in certain situations. The tradeoff between being good and bad at something is what balances here. This has the danger that a class can become over or underpowered in a fight very quickly, leading to nitpicking classes in groups.
    Example: This fight requires us to kill many weak enemies quickly, and Stalkers are very good at that. Why bring a warrior if his strength is in killing a single enemy quickly?

2) All classes have the same advantages and weaknesses. This often leads to classes being 'homogenized' or feeling identical to every other.
    Example: My Esper gives our group an ability that increases their run speed, but so do stalkers and spellsingers. Does it matter who we bring into the group?

In my opinion, I'd rather go with 1) method of balancing, without making strengths so ridiculous that it makes bringing other classes obsolete.
    It feels very good when you come into a fight where your class can shine, but not so much when it is so bad they won't even bother bringing you in. I'd want more a situation where you'd say, 'Cool, Stalkers do a lot of damage here because they're good at multi-target!' rather than 'We NEED a Stalker to get through this fight.'

/2cents.
    Khrusky likes this.
  16. Narthen

Narthen Cupcake

I would think that for playability you would want variation in dps output, otherwise you only have cosmetic differences in class make up and there really becomes no point in playing a certain kind of class. If the "Holy Trinity" is your game model then there most certainly has to be effectual difference in class outputs to make the game balanced and add an appeal to playing a certain class. I voted #2!
  17. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

I hope that skills get balanced for pve and pvp separately. I would rather have a different damage number on skills in pvp then skills get nerfed in pve when they were only OP in pvp or vice versa.

I assume you mean on single targets here.

Because they all should do different things. One is better on fight A and the other is better on fight B. Every class should have its time to shine on some encounter in a raid/dungeon. Some classes can bring buffs, some can bring better mobility, some can bring a bit more tankyness, some can bring more AE damage.
  18. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

1. If the mechanics of the classes' abilities are different isn't that a form of variation?
    2. Why isn't cosmetic difference enough?
  19. Eliat_kuni

Eliat_kuni Cupcake

When they are no support class, why strap a class with more CC but less dmg. They should all do in the 5-10% range of DPS of each other which means it's balance. More then 10% then even bad player playing a good DPS class would outperform a good player in a bad dps class and you don't want that because raid and dungeon composition would already be define.

Melee vs Range - Same DPS, melee should have more abitities to get closer to their opponent really fast, because why would warfare evolve with sword if you can't get to your opponent fast.

We could see more AOE dps in a certain vs single target dps in other class but with the limited action skillset. Why limiting yourself with restriction with how you like to dps? Also changing the LAS for each raid is better because it give more choice and give a sense of satisfaction to the raid crowd in thinking their skill and strategy matters.

I think we should never hear no Esper on this raid because we need AOE dps or Melee DPS only.

Would it be ok about healer not healing as effectively as other healer? Same for tank?
    Well that Warrior can CC a little bit more or that Warrior can heal a little bit but he sure can't keep agro as the Stalker. Tell me people how this would be played out in the real world.
  20. Diableblanc

Diableblanc Cupcake

It's kinda hard and dumb the way you put this poll together. All DPS classes should do the same damage? How am I supposed to answer without the most basic question, are there any other differences? Now, I could say no, some classes should do more damage than other but here I'll explain your biggest loophole, and why.

When we talk about DPS classes we talk about a certain character that deal a sustained amount of damage, now to balance that what most normal games do is put, the highest damage dealer to be paired with a low health setting, so it becomes something of a glass cannon. And that's fine for me, after all, there are many rolls, tanks, healers, and damage dealers, that's how you group together to succesfully kill something. Now if we're talking about solo'ing. Best case would be to either avoid (since this game is going to have a system where you move to evade attacks) avoid as much damage possible and keep constant moving when you attack, or find a tank that can deal enough damage to kill everything in your way.