1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

So what do you think of the faction racial balancing?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Blade, May 29, 2013.

1. Blade

Blade Cupcake

Both factions basically have the same character choices, just with different "story" and visuals.

Human - Cassian

Basic humans, bound to be popular. Somewhat generic, but that's the point.

Granok - Draken

The "warrior race" that's all about smashing stuff. One's stone, one's bestial, but they're both at the core the "fighters" of each faction.

Aurin - Chua

Furries. Both sides get their fluffy wuffy race for people who go for that sort of thing. Both basically "cute" races. The fact that the Aurin are all tree-huggers and the Chua are technophiles is nice way to try and differentiate them.

Mordesh - Mechari

The "inhuman" race for each. Space zombies or giant robots. Both seem to have a similar "outsider" feel to their faction.

What do you think of how they're basically giving both sides the same general racial options?
    Chomag and okccshell like this.
  2. okccshell

okccshell Cupcake-About-Town

I have a tendency to match Granok with Mechari for the strength aspect, and I believe the Draken will be matched with something inhuman. There's speculation about an undead-like race, which matches well with the "dragon/demon/whatever" like race to me. My opinion only, and I totally see your point in general lol

I like that no one side is "pretty" while the other is "ugly". That has happened in so many games it's unreal to me. I like that picking a side can be fore the lore, or story line, or whatever, instead of "ugh, all those look so ugly I don't wanna be one!" or "oh dear, they're all so feminine, I want to be more masculine!" or any variation thereof.
  3. Blade

Blade Cupcake

Well, it could be seen as a Granok/Mechari and Zombie/Draken matchup. Though the Granok/Draken are the races that are warriors at heart.

I do agree that both sides having attractive characters is good. As a lot of casual players tend to go with such options. Most games tend to make the good guys "pretty" while the bad guys are all ugly or bestial (WoW started off like that).

I'm probably going Mechari just because they're robots. But having undead on the good guy side is an interesting twist.
  4. okccshell

okccshell Cupcake-About-Town

I love how we agree and are just discussing options. Makes me smile to know there are others who have been thinking the same thing I have :D
    Kethrym likes this.
  5. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

I agree with your analysis, Blade, and I think it's a good move on their part. One of the things that always frustrates me with faction-based MMOs is that the friends I play with will often pick a faction that's at war with the one that has the races I like. Even in the upcoming Elder Scrolls MMO, I have to choose between playing with friends or playing the race I'd prefer.

And it should keep the factions a bit more balanced, in theory.
    eselle8 likes this.
  6. Blade

Blade Cupcake

In theory. We hopefully won't have the horrifically unbalanced servers like WoW had to deal with. Where it was something like 5 Alliance players for every Horde?

A game like this that has open world PvP, you NEED to find a way to get the sides balanced, or it will all fall apart.

Would suck to see 10 Dominion players trying to hold off 100 Exiles.
    (Though if they could do it it would be rather epic) :p
  7. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

I think it's smart. The vanilla WoW experience made it pretty clear that one faction that's full of familiar fantasy characters and that includes all of the pretty, cute, and friendly-looking species and another that has more unusual cultures and that includes all of the scary, tough, and creepy-looking species just leads to faction imbalances.

Beyond that, I think it's now clear that lots of people don't sign up to MMOs all by themselves, and that a lot of players will join with a spouse, a couple of friends, or a bunch of members of a pre-launch or multi-game guild. Having all the major archetypes present on both sides makes it a lot easier for people to agree on a faction.

That being said, not all the matches are exact. I agree on all your connections, but I'd say that there's also a tie between Aurin - Draken, in that they both attract people who want non-human characters with some sex appeal.
    Blade and Jynetik like this.
  8. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

I know various games tried to stem the tide of certain factions taking over a server by capping them until the opposite population caught up. From what I remember that never worked very well. Personally I always loved the challenge of being the underdog. I'm guessing most players aren't ok with that idea.
  9. Blade

Blade Cupcake

Well, the connection wasn't so much about appearance as general racial concept. The Granok and Draken are the "I want to kill stuff" races.

Though yes, Aurin and Draken both have the hottness.
    Course, a Mechari female could be something to admire. I know she'd make Gimpy pop an eyeball. :p
    Kethrym and okccshell like this.
  10. Huffle Puff

Huffle Puff Cupcake

I see the races mirroring each other based on the role they play in each faction.

The Exile humans/Cassian humans are the leaders, managers, bureaucrats, generals, financiers, and figureheads for their factions, but they can really follow any class and path. Humans usually seem to be the least pigeonholed and stereotyped race in games.

The Granok/Draken are the stock warriors and foot soldiers for their factions. There doesn't appear to be a lot of subtlety to these races so far; they just like big guns or swords and fighting whatever is in front of them. The mercenary Granok are driven by adventure and fortune, while the savage Draken are driven by tradition and honor.

The Aurin/Chua are the brainiacs and creative minds for their factions. The Aurin are in charge of the Exile Academy of Science, and the Chua are shown to be mad scientists and inventors. However, while the Aurin use science to understand and protect the natural world, the Chua use science to exploit, pervert, and weoponize nature.

This one is a little more speculative, but I think the Zomdacted/Mechari are the sinister and manipulative spies, secret police, and shadowy enforcers for their factions. They operate behind-the-scenes to gather intelligence about their enemies and purge dissenters and undesirables from their midst. Both the Zombacted (from the Meet the Exiles video) and the Mechari (from the Paths video) are shown to intimidate and instill fear in their own allies.
    Kethrym, eselle8 and okccshell like this.
  11. Homeslice

Homeslice Cupcake

I think that was the original case but now it is more like 20 Horde to 1 Alliance.
  12. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I give the edge to the Exiles. Give all races an equal amount of beer and the Granok are likely to remain the least affected and so have the best balance! :whistling:
  13. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

That's pretty much spot on for me. Though i can interchange them like this:

Granok=Mechari for the "inorganic" guys, technically rocks are organic but you get the idea.

Draken=Aurin for the little bit beastly peeps

Both unannounced races are the "technologically inclined/attuned". One works it, the other lives it, so to speak.

Both factions have the "plain, brain, brawn, tech" dynamic going on with a little mixup for both sides.
  14. Blade

Blade Cupcake

Really? You think a Granok can out drink a Mechari? :p
  15. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

Well if they are drinking oil then no.....I think the Mechari has the upper hand ;)
  16. Haiku

Haiku New Cupcake

the majority of rocks are actually inorganic with rare exceptions, although I agree Granok/Mechari

I also agree with this.
    Rumze likes this.
  17. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

Really? I just classified anything that forms in nature as "organic". Well you learn something new everyday.
  18. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

I think they mean by the scientific classification an organic compound contains carbon molecules (water as well but water's always a special case).
  19. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Well I figured they'd have a larger body mass - I appear to have derailed this thread impressively - sorry OP :laugh:

/hides

Or I can attempt to make amends with a joke.

How does Granok order more drinks?
    Porous another please bartender.
  20. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

Personally, I'm going to bet on the Aurin. Those girls look like they know how to enjoy a party.