1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

So... What IS the deal with 'Those Floating Islands up there?'

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Tiktak, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

Just watched the Friends and Family Update vid again.

So what are they? A mini-zone? Quest Hub or Area? Explorer Path 'quest' objective? Or simply more cool looking scenery to make the game look even more awesome?

I severely doubt it's the last one!

Personally, I hope we get to go up there and look around...
    Zap-Robo likes this.
  2. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I'm hoping it's an explorable area, myself. Maybe an area you can only reach by finishing off a quest chain and you're rewarded with access to those islands. It'd be neat if they had additional quests with some really good rewards, LORE, please? Maybe atop those islands could be the only way to access/purchase high level mounts/crafting items/recipes/gear, etc.
    I'm one for vanity pets, I like collecting them... :geek: so an in game vanity pet vendor would be neat. For me, and folks like me. :D

Anyways, hopefully we start getting more info soon.
  3. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I had a pet theory that the floating islands are the Dominion's territory - keeping an academic distance from the surface of Nexus (and stopping the Exiles/colonists from accessing Dominion technology).
  4. ImmortalExile

Interesting theory. Anything at this point is probable. Would be interesting. Hope we find out soon enough. Still so much we don't know about the game.
  5. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Can every day please be Wednesday? :D Need more info!

I love the loftite crystals and the lore behind it - the islands look to be areas tied with that. I'm wondering if they are accessed using a quest mount like a hop on an aircraft or loftite launcher.

Actually, I have the EXACT answer to what those islands are: Best freefall jump locations. EVER.
    It's like combining the foating islands in WoW's Nagrand with the height of the World Tree, or leaping out of Dalaran's sewers. I see so many corpse runs in my future.
  6. Tiktak

I kind of -like- how we don't know too much about the game.

But I'm kind of stuck.

The Scientist side of me wants to know everything, all the Lore and as much about the people and factions we're going to meet when we play through the game...

The Explorer side of me -DOESN'T- want to know. It would spoil all the fun of finding it out as I wander around, completing quests and getting to know Nexus...

Vids like the F&F Update teaser just send both sides of me in a twist, you know?

Even as I write this another thing hit me...

What if you needed a Settler to build the mount vendor/taxi specifically just to get up there?
    ImmortalExile likes this.
  7. ImmortalExile

This is the kind of stuff I really, -REALLY- hope gets implemented. The need for other paths, or certain paths. Settlers should be needed to help the process of explorers, and vice-versa. Explorers, once they find a new area, should want Settlers to create a hub where other players can stop at and sell loot, purchase some necessities, and venture into the new areas.

As far as the Scinetist and Soldier paths go, I think the SCientists should be able to figure out different strategies easily to defeat tough baddies, and the tougher Eldar tech and give that info to a SOldier to create the Public Event to where everyone works together using all their knowledge and resources to take out this Elite Mob.
  8. Tiktak

I see -SO- much potential in the Path System. I also hope Carbine are watching, reading and totally stealing some of our ideas! Assuming they aren't sitting in their chairs giggling and nodding to themselves muttering "Oh just you wait till you get playing! You don't know the half of it!"
  9. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Up to then nothing had struck me as something I had seen before, but that particular scene looked a lot like the islands floating in Nagrand in WoW.
  10. Evion

Not necessarily a bad thing.

I remember first watching the trailer for James Cameron's Avatar and when they showed the floating rocks I gripped my friend and said "I am SO seeing this." I swear they know my secret weakness if floating landmasses. D:
  11. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Nagrand was my favorite part of Outlands. I spent a lot of time there on my 2 mains and 5 alts :p
  12. Evion

Sorry to derail the thread further, but *high-fives* for the Nagrand fun-times! I slaughtered so many ogres in the grind for talbuks on multiple alts...
  13. Tiktak

*nods* Easily the most beautiful zone in Outland.