1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

So, with this C.R.E.D.D system?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gunghoe, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

So the biggest thing I seen that is different than just sub based. 3 Games have similar functions with being able to buy gold from the players in the game. 2 of which are Sellers market, and One is the buyers market.

Sellers Market
    Diablo 3 Cash for gold
    GW2 Gems for gold

Buyers market
    EvE Plex for Gold

Diablo 3 and Guild wars have nearly unreachable price points for players to be really even think about Buying the commodity... Diablo 3's case is you are buying Money. Both of those games have some huge gigantic hyperinflation going on. Like for instance to make 3 dollars in Diablo 3, you have to basically grind 24/7 for months. Guild Wars from word of mouth is no different.

Wild Star is more similar to EvE, because This Currency you are buying with gold is effectively Game Time, Neither of the others have that with the currency you are buying.

EvE is a Buyers market, from what i have heard is that, most players after a while of playing will contenually have a surplus of The games main currency, to buy the plex. The game is also in headlines about how much money people loose in the game for mistakes. Huge Wars started because of a miss-click, and the whole game is based around gigantic gold sinks. This is why that system works so well.

So for C.R.E.D.D to be obtainable by a person with lots of time, but not impossible or to the point all they are doing is grinding for the game time, while doing nothing productive other than to play for free. For me, Grinding is not fun especially if that is all people would do. Will there also be enough gold sinks in game?

So how will this be an effective way to get people to buy and sell them?

I fail to see the point of its existence beyond giving a player with a bunch of extra cash, a ton of free gold. I fail to see how this will benefit the people that want to just buy the box. At most the hardcore player and grinder will have a free month here and there.

Over all most people would not be able to use it, nor want to, and i fear they could not possibly buy them with out having a whole guild fork over gold to help pay for peoples subs, that are down on their luck that month.

All i can see is that either this game is going to be extraordinarily grindy to pay for the luxuries in the game + repair bills. In order to keep C.R.E.D.D. remotely with in reach for the player that wants to experience the whole games content free. In order for this to be a buyers market, and not a sellers, They will have to tune all in game systems, that just Bleed tons of money from players.

Do you think a person will be able to buy these C.R.E.D.D at a reasonable gold cost?

It's even more expensive than game time, so people will of course want a pretty penny in return for selling it.

I just do not see how it will work with a mostly themepark MMO.
    Chooby, Daynejah, Sol and 5 others like this.
  2. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I cannot imagine how CREDD will be even remotely affordable to the average player. It will only be a way for the hedge fund managers to convert their ill-gotten gold into free play time. It seems like Carbine is handing the asylum keys to the inmates and wishing them well. I hope they all have fun, but I can't imagine participating in any of this mess.
    Kalmander, Nearo, Picobeat and 4 others like this.
  3. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I'm really curious as how much someone will have to grind to gain 20 bucks of CREDD. It will be a lot of work (otherwise people wouldn't go for a sub) but if it's too much work, people won't bother with it. And then it will seem pointless to add CREDD in the game.
    Picobeat likes this.
  4. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

First, GW2 is wicked easy to earn gold, and gems to gold is always a very nice route. Since no market is involved, the gem prices fluctuate based on activity. Prime-time and new content releases are the worst tiem to buy gems with in-game gold and the best time to sell them.

To prevent CREDD from reaching level of insanity, they are going to need to put a cap into the system or it will only ever be used by most as a way to buy in-game gold and hardly for paying for a sub.
    RedSam777 likes this.
  5. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

you are using words like benefit and effective, it's just simply an option if you happen to have some extra gold and you want to use it for free time. It happens in pretty much every MMO that after several months, people have some excess gold and not really anything to spend it on, so now you have another option available.
    Baamz, Witless and Doomgrin like this.
  6. Doomgrin

Exactly! For me, its a sub model so I do not have to worry about missing features or functionality unless I buy it from a shop.
  7. HoneyKun

HoneyKun New Cupcake

I'm so confused. Why whould anyone buy CREDD for real money? Yes, you get gold from it, but with its $20 price tag, is it even worth it? Plus, like others have said, the in game prices for CREDD, if a lot of players DO buy, will be outrageously high. They will only be playing to add time to their game, not spending gold on in game stuff like enchanting.

Edit: I thought it was announced in a video presentation about being a hybrid model? I guess their definition of hybrid is totally different than what most had in mind....
    Snorf, Nearo and RedSam777 like this.
  8. Doomgrin

You buy a CREDD with real money to sell in-game for game gold. As for worth it, that is a question each person has to ask themselves based on their free cash and in-game value which will fluctuate with the market. Is a game worth spending money on? Personal choice; Arguments are fruitless.

I will tell you a big thing that is going to drive people buying CREDD.... housing. With reportedly hundreds of options and unique house per character, this is going to be a huge money sink.
  9. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

To give you some perspective, In order for me to pay for a plex @ 350,000,000 isk. i would have to complete 1 lvl 4 mission (hardest type) every day for 30 days. With the mission time running about 1-2 hours.

But that requires you have the right equipment and skills so you could not do that from day 1..
    Crow and Gargantua like this.
  10. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

You won't be able to earn enough gold via grinding. You'll have to work the stock markets in town if you want to earn enough gold to pay for your sub, so you can work the stock markets some more. Fun.

Part of that though is that ANet doesn't really need to worry about the price of gold all that much. If gold prices were being used to offset a subscription model they would be a lot tighter on the controls and spend more time shutting down farming methods. ANet could be a lot stingier with the gold taps if they wanted, and I expect they would be if they were using the CREDD model.

It's P2W. Let's say there's a really cool sword that takes a lot of work to get, but you don't want to work for it. You do, on the other hand, have plenty of money. So instead of working for the sword in game, you buy some CREDD, sell it on the market for gold, like to a gold seller, and then buy the sword using that gold instead.It's just a way of letting well-off players be just as good as the skilled players.
    RedSam777, Gargantua and Fishsticks like this.
  11. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

Keep in mind i am not disapointed. I rather it be this way and have little to NONE micro-transactions.... all they do is make the game less Awesome when you find that epic gear. But in the FAQ about the game on their sight, makes it seem like you will also have time for hardcore raiding.... If it is just to reward people for having extra gold here and there, and have carbine make an extra five dollars then Whats the point?

Over all I find it to be a pointless addition, that will still make carbine more money because people will inevitably want more gold but i think that the ammount of gold people will want will be way too high for people to make within a month of regular hard-core raiding, PvP, or any sort of progression end game, but gold.

From the looks of it, it seems like it may be pointless for a while for any one to want to even try to sell it, or even buy it.

They make it seam like it is an option for people to be able to have those cards to play the game for free. Like EvE i have heard that after you get your groove on, you will be able to play for free permanently. I do not think it will be possible in this game. Why have this option at all?

sure it may have it's uses, but Brofessional, will mostly be out of luck a whole lot of the time... And not be able to Meet for the next raid, which would be the next day :( sad brofessional.

If they do not plan on balancing the game around the effectiveness, and practicality of having this item in the game, what is the point?

Yeah, here and there you may get a free month. But really? If that's their goal, they sure are glamorizing this a whole lot.
  12. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Is it? Gaffney mentions they want to add things for players to sink money into. 'Bells and whistles tugging at your wallet'. It sounds like more than gametime to me. Basically it's just a cash shop. Buy in-game currency with real money. If so, I don't really have any interest in this game anymore.
    Gargantua likes this.
  13. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Before they went F2P Tera had items you pay real cash for and sell in game for money at the Auction House. These items gave you 30 days of play time. Many players who put in a lot of time in game never had to play to play. They used game gold to buy the scrolls (or whatever they were called).

Do I like this mechanic. Hrmm.. I don't have a problem with it.
  14. Doomgrin

Before you, like so many others throw around "P2W", realize that the items are available to everyone. There is no cash shop and thus no items exclusive to people spending money. People also only get gold it other players buy their CREDD on the commodities market. P2W also makes the mistake of saying items that are best in slot are even buyable on the market, or that items on the market cannot be gotten easy enough through raiding, crafting yourself or PvP currency.

Also since commodities market only gives you gold, and you earn gold in-game through normal play the prices would have to go nuts for real-world currency to have a huge influence on the auction prices. Furthermore since the items are auction house and not cash shop, there is a finite number to be bought.
    Rare Spawn, Baamz and Witless like this.
  15. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

I am "well off". I can buy as much credd as I want but I find that a bad mechanic. I try to not spend money on MMO's if I can help it. I do a lot of stuff in my spare time so I don't really want to work the game so much that it feels like work. My sweet spot would be 2-3 hours of gameplay per day. No more then that. So I like the sub model. I don't have any real concerns with the subscription hybrid model. Seems fine to me.
  16. Doomgrin

A bit over-simplistic. Gold cannot be created through CREDD. It has to be earned in-game. A CREDD cannot be sold on the commodities market until someone has the amount (and desire) to buy it with what they have earned. This prevents inflation from (further) creation of gold, and also a safer way to alleviate the inevitable issues with gold sellers.

As for Bells and Whistles that was old news. The article specifically states there will not be a cash shop at release. They may add something later for cosmetic, convenience, etc, but nothing right now.
  17. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

In any game with some kind of currency you can buy with real money, there is huge inflation.

In the example with higginbottom, hell buy credd, sell it, and get alot of gold.

With that gold, he can outpay anyone else for rare items, crafting materials, housing items, armor and weapons etc in auction hall, without putting any effort into the game getting them himself.

It also creates an easy way for goldfarmers to gain easy acces to the game, they farm all the time, earn alot of gold and just buy credd to keep on playing, they never have to pay any sub.
  18. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

I am curious how the system will actually play out.

If it can be balanced to the point where its somewhere along the lines of:

Pay & Play for 2 months while dropping a bit of gold into a savings so you can then get 1 month free.

That doesn't sound half bad.

More likely I am thinking what will happen is those lucky few people that get w/e ultra rare drops or play the AH all day and acquire a large amount of gold will turn around and buy enough CREDD to cover their subscription costs for a long period of time. In turn it will raise that lowest selling figure to a point so high that only the most hardcore or most lucky players will be dealing in CREDD.

Another scenario of course is the Guilds, I can see the CREDD as a guild incentive/prize/reward. So guild donations and/or fees will end up going towards the purchase of CREDD in large quantities.

Of course the biggest point is, CREDD is nothing more than a gold sink and more importantly an optional gold sink that will have NO effect on other players. In GW2 you could avoid the GEM system all together but certain things like mini pets, inventory space and exclusive costumes were a big fish for a lot of ppl and were always sort of dangling in your face. CREDD is really nothing more than game time passes that have been around forever in plenty of other MMO's. WoW had game passes you could redeem and guilds would use them as rewards all the time, this system is just putting an in-game currency value on them along with the real money
    one.

TLDR; Whether you like the CREDD scheme or not it wont affect you in anyway if you completely avoid it. Just think of it like this, When you hit the jackpot with that rare item to sell you now have the option to look at it as a free month of play.
  19. Mukesh

Mukesh Cupcake

I think there's an error in thinking that this will cause the game to be grindy. Because if everyone grinds, everyone has more gold, and the price of these inflates. The point of a system like CREDD is that it's entirely market controlled. I would suspect that the actual percentage of those playing month to month via buying CREDD will be proportionately small. Initially there will be a wide variance in the selling price, but as the market is flooded, prices will regulate, and eventually, the market will determine a fair price point.

As the economy as a whole inflates and the surplus in the market dwindles, the price of CREDD will reactively inflate as well. It's free market economics and it's beautiful.
    Rare Spawn likes this.
  20. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Pay to win isn't mutually exclusive with playing to win. This is just a system in which you can choose to pay to win if you prefer. Sure, you don't have to spend cash money to get the best items, but they will likely be completely unaffordable if you don't.