1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

So, with this C.R.E.D.D system?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gunghoe, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

This is my opinion as well. You may not be able to buy the very best, super rarest, uber awesome gear that can only be obtained through 40 hours of raiding and selling your first-born child, but you'll be able to buy everything else - which will still put you leaps and bounds above everyone who doesn't have the rarest, most elite gear.

e.g. Oh you've been doing some questing and have some pretty decent gear as a result of your hours of work and play-time? That's cute. I've got the best possible non-raid gear and I haven't even played the game in a month.

I, for one, plan on leveling a little, then just spending another $60 on CREDD and buying all the best possible armor for my class/tier at the moment. Then I'm gonna roll into an instanced PvP and destroy everyone that actually spends time playing the game but doesn't have the best gear because it never dropped for them......Fear my twink chumps!
    Sol and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  2. Warslyfe

Warslyfe Cupcake

You make some pretty big assumptions.

You don't know that, plain and simple, but for the sake of argument lets say you can't. I see nothing wrong with having to participate in the market to achieve this goal and its a rather large assumption that the amount of effort required to make extra gold on the market will consume the majority of your gametime.

You also assume people won't enjoy that aspect of the game.

Again large assumption that this game's top level gear will be able to be sold on the market at all. I guess by that logic GW2 or any game that allows a legit way to buy gold is B2W.

The bottom line is that this game is a sub-based game with the OPTION to spend in-game currency for a subscription. If you don't want to work for the optional payment method, then you don't, and nothing changes for your gameplay experience...
  3. Cowboy Cheese

Cowboy Cheese New Cupcake

It's mainly to give players a "legal" way to get gold without resorting to gold farmers. It won't stop the gold farmers but it will make them a less attractive option to get in game currency.
  4. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

So i guess it is over glamorized then, initially in my head.
  5. Fornix

Fornix Cupcake

This mainly, such a system is simply beating two birds with one stone.

As for the buyer's end, well that's simply going to be a matter of simple price and demand. With demand being relatively high if we look at PLEX, you can imagine that for WildStar as well the expected sum you'll end up paying for these things will be a rough equivalent of playing 2 hours per day and focussing on farming in cash during that time by minimum would you wish to pay all your gameplay through it.

Beyond that, it's just a nice way to get away of those extra credits you have lying around in the long run.
  6. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

If the gear would actually be any good and just not cosmetic, im sure it would be B2W.
    I know alot of people that have bought gold in GW2, heck even i have in some F2P games.

Not really. It will get to a point where goldfarmers earns so much gold, you will have to farm for a week or spend 3$ to get the same amount you woulda gotten in that time.
  7. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I imagine it will have a lot of sense. Basically imo they want to satisfy 3 main types of customers:

People with jobs who still want to enjoy raid content (or pvp or any other end game content). To do this two things need to be done:
    - most purple raid items must be bind on pick up so people need to play to get them and they can't be bought (otherwise there is nothing to enjoy really)
    - items like health mixtures and boost potions which usually need to be grind for before raid for a few hours should be obtainable using CREDD (so they can be bought for the real money). Basically this removes grinding from the equation as working people don't have time to grind for consumables.
    These people will have to usually pay for a game time and often more to pay for consumables. Unless they are superb guild who don't wipe much.

People without jobs (kids, etc) and those who enjoy playing this game a lot (40h+/week) and who don't mind grinding should be able to grind enough money to pay fully or partially for a play time and more if they are in good raiding guild (1%ers)

People who enjoy playing casually (around 20h /week), who more talk with friends and do quests than grind and raid and who usually spend all their in game money for a new equipment or consumables, they will have to pay for playing the game. These type includes many working people as well as kids which enjoy playing more than one game in parallel.
  8. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe, but I think they are fairly reasonable assumptions to make based on previous games and common sense.

I have no interest in playing the market manipulation game. I play MMOs to adventure, and do not care to play the markets, but playing the markets is the only reasonable way to make large amounts of gold in most games. If Carbine could ensure that the ONLY way to earn currency effectively was through casual adventuring, not farming, not market manipulation, then I might have more faith in their proposals, but based on prior MMOs would would estimate that a casual adventurer player would only be able to bring in 25% or less what a market player or farmer could make, and since CREDD is a market traded commodity, it is the latter players that will be setting the prices.

If you like sitting in town and working the auction house, then congratulations, you'll get to play for free. If you like going out and questing, I cannot imagine you'll be able to afford to play for free.

To a point, but GW2 skirts this a bit in that all the top tier stuff is roughly equivalent in stats. I mean, you can buy yourself a full set of Legendary weapons, and that would set you back thousands of gold that would be very difficult to earn through standard gameplay, but you could instead buy a full set of level 80 exotics that would only set you back a few days worth of gold and have the exact same stats, they just wouldn't look quite as fancy. I've been playing since launch and, without doing any serious market manipulation or taking the farming methods too seriously I have a decent amount of money in game, but nowhere near enough to buy a legendary yet.

Except that the only other option is to pay a subscription, and this isn't 2005 anymore, so that's not happening.
    Bigal007 likes this.
  9. Warslyfe

Warslyfe Cupcake

Well the argument is that it's B2W because you'll be able to buy top level gear. The same thing applies in GW2 as you can currently buy a full set of exotics. Even if the gear isn't as heavily weighted in that game as others, you're kidding yourself if you believe there isn't a noticable difference between rares and exotics, especially in WvW...

The point I was trying to make is that I dont hear people screaming from the rooftops that GW2 is P2W, so maybe just chill out a bit and let's see how it's actually implemented.

I guess we could just continue breaking out our jump to conclusions mats, but I don't even know where mine is atm, so I feel left out
  10. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I don't mind them adding something for convenience but I hope they they will stay away from adding cosmetic things as cosmetic may be synonymous to cool/good/rare looking thing. When I see somebody wearing/using something what looks cool (even a scarf or mount in a game) I always hope it is something rare difficult to obtain and not something which can be bought.
  11. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

Is it just me or is it exactly like the EVE Online system? iam kinda glad it is like this.

It works very well on EVE, but like the OP said part of that is because of how the game works , it's kinda grindy and the skill training system is a huge time sink.

how ever, i think it is completely fine for the game to reward subscribers like that, i wanted this game to be sub based so iam kinda biased, but that is exactly what i was hoping for.
  12. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

Buying gear in the WoW AH will net you trash.
    What makes you think it will be superior to that?
    Baamz and Kataryna like this.
  13. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

How so... I have no intentions on starting a flame war, nor have malicious intent. I'm trying to form some ideas as why they chose to have this system... And more spesifically why are they over glamorizing it, as if you could buy the game, and play the game for free If you only have the time.

I can just see the people that play the auction house, and are extremely good at auction houses and its game, will they only ever be the ones to get the item. I forgot entirely about that method that ohoni mentioned. I have no interest in playing the auction house market aside from getting the stuff I want. All this leads me to believe that the C.R.E.D.D system is just an easier way to make buying gold more legit. Because it is a player based economy. All and all, doing missions will never suffice, nor will anything that has to deal with playing the game. There is the auction house, and the people that will be able to buy stuff will have to watch the Auction house for people that put up items too cheap and sell higher. Like how most people do to progress in diablo 3 that wants to venture past Monster Power 6, with out the absurd grind and luck.
    I guess all i have to say, is that i am slightly happier that this game is a sub based game. Especially if the game is going to be successful.
    Maybe with all things considered, and things we all do not know about, it may even be easy to be able to buy the C.R.E.D.D.
    But right now, no normal person that will want to play the game and adventure will be able to take advantage of this offer. Only the people that love to play the market. But this also depends on Server population.
  14. BonusStage

The buisness model pretty much makes it so that it has to be better than that.

Look at EVE Online, the entire economy is based on the players, the devs only mess around with it when it goes off the rails and goes crazy.

that is what allows players to sell PLEX (in game time) to other players without breaking the game itself.

also they want to make crafting viable, so having viable gear on the AH for in game currency should be expected.

at the same time being able to purchase game time is the perfect time and gold sink.

so even if the gear on the AH sucks, you still have the option of purchasing game time with gold
  15. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

That's because you don't need to spend cash money to buy full exotics in GW2. A full set of exotics only costs enough gold that you could earn it in a week or so of gameplay, less if you're running dungeons and converting dungeon tokens into exotics as well. If a full set of exotics cost hundreds of gold in that game's economy then yes, it would be P2W.
  16. FairyTailisBack

No, it doesn't. People buy <REDACTED>loads of gold in wow anyways.
    Eve is a completely different type of game, so you can't draw comparisons.
    When did they say crafting will be viable? Thus far I have only seen them say the best gear is acquired through Raids, PvP, and possibly solo dungeons.

To assume the AH will have anything but mediocre gear in it is just an assumption.
  17. BonusStage

You are assuming that BiS will be sold on the AH, we already know that will not happen.

Also, you are assuming that there will be inifite avaliability of BiS on the AH, which is also false, the economy is generated by players, the market will have as much items as the crafters can provide.
    It is not an Cash Shop with a infinite ammount of Vorpal Swords +10

An assumption based on what the devs told us about how crafted gear will not be as useless as it is in other MMO's (WoW being one of them) So id wage my assumption isnt as empty as you make it seem
    Baamz likes this.
  18. FairyTailisBack

That still doesn't equate to the gear being good, and thus the game is P2W. Even WoW has good items on the AH at times, but it becomes quickly outdated, and you can't get anything near a complete set.
  19. Bigal007

Bigal007 Cupcake

Lets put it this way. if its easy everyone will do it and no one will ever sub, this system failed in Tera and it will fail here.
  20. BonusStage

If you mean that it wont be P2W, yes i agree, but that dosent mean gold will be useless either.

I have no complaints about the system, it is miles better than F2P and the current B2P (Gw2) model.

(in my opinion)