1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

So, with this C.R.E.D.D system?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gunghoe, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

They have to assume that raid level gear will be available on the AH, because otherwise they will have to face the fact that they won't be getting it at all, which causes mind-blown seizures and spasms on the floor.
  2. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

There is a entire thread on this very forum, where this is discussed betwen the comunity and the devs.
  3. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe, but there will still likely be 2ndBiS available. Here's the thing though, let's say I have a lot of cash money, and would be interested in buying CREDD. Why would I do that? Because I could sell it for a bunch of gold. Why would I do that? Because I want to buy cool stuff with that gold. Now, if that relationship is supposed to work, there needs to be cool stuff available that I can buy with that gold. If the only things that can be bought with gold is substandard <REDACTED> then I have no motivation to spend hard earned money on gold. If I don't put CREDD into the economy then the market value of CREDD would be astronomically high.

Long story short, the only way the CREDD system works is if there are plenty of worthwhile purchases to be made for gold.
  4. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

If you can pump out raid quality gear via crafting and sell those items, then people are right its P2W.
  5. BonusStage

But they can be mounts/toys/gadgets/pets. as we are all aware people are willing to spend globs of gold on cosmetic features.

Also i dont mind the guy having raid level gear, as long as the content dosent get trivialized by it, if it takes skill to raid, than gear wont matter as much.

As for PvP, i doubt we will have anything other than entry level PvP gear on the AH aswell, same as we do in WoW.
    and let's not pretend people dont buy gold on WoW, there is nothing to do with gold on that game, and people still *risk(lol) losing their accounts purchasing gold from unsecure sites.

the reason this system failed on games like Tera, is not because people dont have where to spend gold, it is because the game failed to meet it's expectations.
    Also, they want people to pay for their game, so ofc it's not going to be easy to play for free, however it's not going to be impossible either

Only if it's for everyslot and at an inifinite avaliability, otherwise it is not P2W.

someone has to craft the damn thing, it dosent get pooped out by the server, and from what they have stated to craft raid level gear, you will need to raid and get materials from raids.(unless i miss understood them)
  6. Bigal007

Bigal007 Cupcake

What other purpose would you have for buying gold in this way except to gain an advantage/ save time, this is a fail pay to win system pure and simple.
  7. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Too bad, this game had a lot of potential.
    Bigal007 likes this.
  8. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Ohoni is correct. P2W is not mutually exclusive. It's another example of internet gamer's misuing terms so often they become accepted. It's very annoying.
    Baamz, Fishsticks and BonusStage like this.
  9. Furor Tuetonicus

Furor Tuetonicus Cupcake-About-Town

Let's break this whole scenario down instead of putting up giant walls of hyperbole in either the defense or attack of the CREDD system.

The CREDD system requires that the game will have gold sinks of immense quantity to keep gold values high. We've seen some of this already, and it has already been mentioned in this post: Housing. This is a double edged sword however, as housing provides real, in-game bonuses to those who own extremely well sorted houses. The cost of housing will need to also include tokens/items that need to be crafted and that are BoP in order to keep players from using only CREDD to purchase their houses. If this does not happen, then the CREDD system will heavily undermine the games economy.

We can also assume from discussions with the devs, that high level gear will be craft-able. The fun part is, similar high level gear will be available from other sources in game, and not all of it will require raiding content. So it is very likely gold will allow some players to buy very good gear from the auction house, BUT the key here, assuming that previous posters are correct, there will be some solo/small group content that provides equivalent gear.

Another important aspect here is defining pay to win. Pay to win implies an advantage not available to other players, granted to a player who pays money to the developers. These items or their equivalents will all be equally available to all players, regardless of real world income.

The only difference is the time involved, and while yes a shortened time frame to acquire gear of a specific level does seem like a huge advantage, the reality is much different. A person cannot buy something that is not available. Period. If no one is crafting this high level gear and selling it, it won't be purchased. Likewise if no one is selling BoP gear from raiding, then it cannot be purchased. If anyone recalls the launch of GW2, and the launch of SW:ToR, then you will recall that the highest level gear was out of the reach of most players largely due to the fact that is was unavailable.

In summary, CREDD could possibly give some players a small advantage through benefits available through housing(increased rest xp, some buffs, etc), but I don't see it being a long term problem for the acquisition of gear.
    deachem, Baamz and Veckna like this.
  10. Bigal007

Bigal007 Cupcake

Put it another way, what would be your motivation to go and buy crudd, if no one is motivated then the system does not even get off the ground.
  11. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I looked up the CREDD system for wildstar and I can see some good out of it.

At least the game is sub based so hopefully none of this nickel and dime stuff that a lof of F2P games do. That was my biggest fear out of the payment model.

Since CREDD is only can be bought and then traded via in game currency I wonder how prices will end up as I don't know how much gold you can make while leveling or at final level, so I doubt anyone can answer.

A big concern from reading the posts in this thread seems to think that CREDD could potentially be a buy to win scenario since you can buy powerful items via auction house and simply put buying CREDD will enable you make lots of gold and instead of buying gear for cash you just added a middleman to the equation.

I don't see that considering other game you could buy decent high level gear via auction house and there were plenty of gold sellers and yes people do buy from gold sellers. If anything CREDD could help stop or at least slow down gold sellers.

As someone who farmed a lot in wow and had stockpiles of gold this wouldn't be a bad gold sink.
    Though I don't play as much as I used to.
  12. Bigal007

Bigal007 Cupcake

Crudd will not stop gold sellers as they can and will grind for gold and be able to undercut the market. If the game is not top notch out of the box there will nor be enough subs anyway so the market will tank.
    The funny thing is that the sub will deter alot of people who play in a casual way and would therefore be more likely to buy gold, Carbine clearly didnt think this one through.
  13. PlayerOne

PlayerOne Cupcake-About-Town

I honestly read Carbine's post on the system and went into April 1st mode. I was sure they must be joking.

Maybe they are. Maybe I missed something. I hope so.

If this is real I am amazed.
  14. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

Sigh, why do people pretend WoW is the only MMO ever invented? (this is not meant as a shot at you specifically @FairyTailisBack more of a general complaint/whine)

Buying gear in DAoC will get you everything except the very best gear which can only be earned through tokens/RvR.

My point being, using a specific game as an example and saying "Well this is how it works in WoW" is almost irrelevant, as there are doubtless countless other examples of someone else doing it differently.

Lastly, I'm not suggesting that people being able to buy items for real money makes them "win" the game - I am however, suggesting that allowing people to buy items which otherwise have to be earned greatly trivializes gameplay. If you spend hours a day working to build a model airplane for a model airplane show (assuming that's a thing...) and I just go to the store and buy the same model you've spent all this time working on 30 minutes before the show, would you think it's fair that I got to compete in the same show as you? I don't have an advantage, we have the same model airplane - except you spent a month building yours from scratch and I bought mine on ebay....does that seem right to you?
    Mellkor and Konoko like this.
  15. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Supply and demand 101 yay
  16. BonusStage

Someone still had to build that airplane, it was not farted by a invisible god.

if the show is a contest about building the model, then it is not fair, but if it's about flying it, what is the issue there?
    Rare Spawn and Baamz like this.
  17. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

You have it backwards. Gold in game only buys subs through CREDD and the CX. That gold goes to the player, and the cash used to buy the CREDD goes to Carbine/NCSoft. Therefore gold farmers are only feeding their (only legal) competitor, the dev studio itself.

The value of the CREDD is $15 to a subscriber, but costs $20 to the player. Goldseller is just ensuring a $5 per transaction to Carbine each time they a CREDD on CX :)

They cannot go the other way otherwise they end up putting to much CREDD on CX, lowering the price, and essentially paying our subs for us!
    Baamz and Cowboy Cheese like this.
  18. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

The issue is one person did nothing to earn it (not even grind or quest for the gold, they literally just click a button and get the gold required to purchase the item), while the other had to commit time and effort to create it.

Continuing with the analogy - if it's a flying show and both people have the same plane, neither will have an "advantage", but one person had to actually work for it, and the other didn't. It's not unfair, it's just being a dick to the guy that had to work for it.

Just to be clear: I'm not the guy that works for it, I'm the guy that plays 5 hours a week and has the same gear/items/pet/mount as the guy that plays 30 hours a week. I have a job, and I have money, and if Carbine is going to make me total equals with everyone else except the very best of the best that have the most elite raid-gear, why wouldn't I take them up on that? Again, it's not really unfair, because everyone has the same stuff, but I can't see how it doesn't cheapen the efforts/experience of other players.
  19. BonusStage

Does it really? because in other games the guy that built the plane would never be able to sell it.

that plane would only get built so that he could level his profession and build that end game plane that would get replaced within a few weeks of raiding.

Now his work pays off, he can use those skills that he spent hours on and sell his work and pay for the game he enjoys trough his craft.

Now it pays off to be a crafter.

It's all about perspective.
  20. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Carbine must ensure that most end game gear can't be bought and it is bind on pickup. Only exception should be rare crafted end game items which should fill max 1-2 minor slots or represent some chips. With this you can basically buy yourself a max level but you still need to earn your end game gear by hard work. Nothing wrong with that. Now I just hope they have the same in mind.
    Sol, Baamz, Dopamean and 1 other person like this.