1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

So you like open world PvP?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Trijity, May 28, 2013.

?

What's your PvP preference?

1. Open World

62.4%
  2. Organized PvP (Battlegrounds)

32.5%
  3. I hate PvP and you posted a wall of text, why am I here?

5.1%
  1. Trijity

Trijity Cupcake

I was just thinking about this topic, especially when I see a fairly vocal amount of mmo players who scream "Open world pvp is the best! Takes most skills and hardcores! BG's are stupid and =/= true pvp".

Really I just want people's opinion on open world PvP vs the organized form of BG's. From my experience I have generally 4 types of experiences with open world pvp, #4 being a 1% of the time.

1.) We have a huge zerg and are stomping everyone

2.) They have a huge zerg and are stomping us

3.) We have equal zergs and are having a mexican staring standoff

4.) We have a good open match of world pvp (as said, veerrryyy 1% ish of the time)

I love PvP servers, and always roll on them only because I like the variety and the option to PvP against the opposite faction during my leveling process. But for me to log on just to world PvP? Ehhh....not gonna happen. I much moreso enjoy the organized mayhem of a battleground, and I feel it takes much more skill in that environment compared to the "who wins the numbers" game.

As a last note, I REALLY hope that Wildstar implements a BG that is just TDM (team death match). I can't describe how many mmo's where I joined a BG and literally just wanted to kill the other team, to hell with the objectives. I imagine this is just a big arena match, but that sounds like a blast to me, especially with a ticketing system! I don't know of any mmo that has a flatout TDM deathmatch, but it's gotta be the easiest BG ever to design! Just make a simple map and your done (for the minimum)!
    Zaekath likes this.
  2. Coolio

Coolio New Cupcake

Personally, I love BG's. Now this is coming from someone who was too late on the ball to experience good open world pvp. I seen videos and it looked damn fun. However, it depends on the community if open world pvp can be successful.

I really hope they release a team death match style of Bgs. Its what most MMOs are missing in my opinion.
    As OP stated, normally people just want to que up for pvp and kill other players without having to worry about completing objectives.
  3. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

It's the objectives on top of the player vs. player conflict that make BGs/arenas immensely more fun that WPvP can ever be. WPvP has its fun moments but it simply can't compete against "mini-game" styled PvP. BGs FTW! I hope warplots blend the awesome from both types of PvP TBH.
  4. Amayasu

Amayasu Cupcake

Open world PvP isn't just ZvZ. That's the point.

When you take 'open world' and formalise it, like WvW or RvR, it becomes ZvZ. But when you build a world that houses EVERYTHING (PvE, questing, housing, social hubs) and enable PvP to break out organically great things can happen.
  5. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Themepark mmos just don't do open world pvp well. I'd like it to be good, it just isn't.
  6. Shalanigh

Shalanigh Cupcake

I honestly like both, they're different experiences. I probably prefer BGs more just because they're easier to get into and start punching faces.
  7. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

OMG BGs are so fun! I love playing the same STUPID MAP 1,000 TIMES in an everlasting instanced mini-game grind for gear! ZZZzzz...

I know most peoples' ONLY world PvP experience is Tarren Mill/Southshore zerg or being instagibbed while questing by a stealth class that's 30 levels higher than them. But there's a lot more to it. Base wars, camping choke points and taking on a raid group with a well organized PvP team, city sieges, RvRvR battles, roaming 5-man groups in EPL/WPL. If you've never done any of those things, you don't know world PvP.

There ain't much more to BGs than what I described up there. ^^^
    Sonntam likes this.
  8. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

I like both OwPvP and BGs to be honest but you don't have an option for that in your poll. :(
  9. Trijity

Trijity Cupcake

I've also seen this, but my rebuttle to this is simply that one must not like any type of multiplayer game ever with this philosophy. Dota 2 is just 1 single map and it is off the charts popular (and I think fun). Any shooter multiplayer is the same maps over and over. In fact...any multiplayer ever of any other genre offers a specific form of PvP, I imagine this is where mmo's are very special and unique in that they offer an alternative.

I enjoy the BG's though, they never feel the same to me. Every game may be the same map, but it's a different game. Depending on my team, my personal playstyle, and how we operate any given match will be vastly different to the other 50 I did.

I'll give you city seiges though, while rare those are definitely in my #4 1% of fun I've had in open world PvP.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  10. Mumba

Mumba New Cupcake

I like both types of BGs, have both good and bad experiences about them. But all in all pvp is awsomness!

A downside with world pvp can be if the balance of about of players tips heavily to one faction, but altho thats mostly in the realy big battles that you notice it.
  11. Nitebreaker

Nitebreaker New Cupcake

I just love the idea of the warplots. I like open world but this seems like a great idea.
  12. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

I like both, but obviously any decent player will enjoy organized PvP (which should include arenas in your poll) a lot more. I've never known a decent PvPer that favors world PvP, and it's always people who are bad/unsuccessful at organized PvP that "dislike" it (usually just don't participate). I do highly enjoy a good city raid, which I'm not sure I'd qualify as a regular open world experience (I think of them as the "endless dungeon" of PvP).
  13. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

WPvP is very situational. Saying you like it isn't a true representation, sometimes it bores me, sometimes I love it.

BG's are always the same, sometimes you're up for them, sometimes you're not.

Where's the 'When I'm in the mood, I'll do whatever' option?
    Huffle Puff, Outlaw and Trahma like this.
  14. Pang

Pang New Cupcake

Need a third option. Always preferred RvR still PvP. Open World type PvP with objectives and capture points, ie DAoC style.
  15. Kilowatt

Kilowatt New Cupcake

This right here.

Carbine has to put things in the open world for us to fight over. The great battles at Crossroads in the Barrens were fun but even better was the South Shore - Tarren Mill battles happened because the quest lines of the opposing factions came together in this zone. Even Stanglethorn Vale was pretty good at times. Early on I remeber logging into Ironforge and all the NPC's were dead.....it was crazy and awesome. The Hoard was raiding IF and guess what...they did it just for the fun; there were no rewards for doing it.

Structured / Battleground PvP isn't for me but I understand that a lot of people like it.......of course then you have the eternal PUG vs. Premade bi**chfest......

Ganking of lowbies by higher level players is just part of it. That's what usually started the calls for help and then capped characters from both sides start coming into the zone and then it's on. (I'm not a big fan of scaling; your level is your level whereever you take your character. )

There will be PvE servers for those who don't like this sort of fun but for me there is just an extra edge to playing the game when you have to keep one eye out for 'the enemy'. Yes, some days you log on and can't do what you had planned or you can't turn that quest in.......overall it's worth it to have this type of unpredictable gameplay experience.
    Amayasu likes this.
  16. Foozy

Foozy New Cupcake

I prefer both BG and owPVP. They both have their attractions. As long as the limit where the players can fight in the open world.. I hate being in a base questing and all of a sudden the opposite faction shows up and kills all the vendors and NPC's. There should be different areas where people will be able to owpvp. I tend not to like when PvP disturbs PvE too much. Keep them seperated as much as possible and im happy
  17. Blade

Blade Cupcake

One word: Shadowbane

Now, I'm not a fan of PvP myself. I prefer to work WITH players, not against them. Doing the PvE stuff is where I have my fun.

But I can understand why some people enjoy PvP. For the challenge of facing tough opponents, for putting your flag on land that once belonged to another.
    And of course there's the majority of PvPers I come across who are just raging douchebags who want to gank anyone they can and who's idea of "PvP fun" is 20 of them chasing down one or two players from the other side. :p

Shadowbane was a great experience in open PvP though.
    You could kill anyone, anywhere. But they had a wonderful thing in place. Accountability.
    Not to some town guards. Not to some dev overwatch. But to the player base. In Shadowbane you quickly had to join a guild of some kind or you were basically just easy pickings. And once you're part of a guild, you've got a responsibility to them as well as a public image.
    If you go around ganking people, others will spread the word. You can often find yourself booted from a guild who doesn't want to put up with a troublemaker like that (who might start a war with another guild). What you do reflected not only on you but on your guild, and if you wanted to keep using their facilities and having people to watch your back, you had to follow the rules.
    Sure, there were Griefer Guilds. But they were quickly known, set to kill on sight to town guards everywhere and basically taken out with extreme prejudice by everyone (you'd see various people from different guilds in an area all team up to kill the griefers).

Apart from the starter towns, all settlements were player built. So if someone needed a place to rest, to repair or re-equip, they needed friends. And if a guild went around griefing, they'd quickly find an army tearing down their town.

Having players control the world instead of a prebuilt land like WoW has was amazing. You had towns appearing across the map, alliances made, wars waged and diplomacy everywhere.

I loved it because being the carebear that I am, I often was hired as a negotiator between various other guilds.

I would love to see that level of player control in Wildstar.
    Wolf Shaman likes this.
  18. Vhael

Vhael Cupcake

First off, I'm just going to state that I am not generally a fan of PvP in MMOs that are not 100% equalized to give all players an equal chance regardless of time invested into the game. However, if I had to make a choice to PvP in an MMO I would never do so in an open PvP server. Despite my dislike of MMO PvP I am a competitive gamer and I personally feel that any PvP that is initiated in a way to grant one an unfair advantage before the match begins entirely contradicts the competitive nature of PvP. I feel that PvP zones and BGs are much more sufficient at providing an actual competitive environment that I can take seriously in any way.

Comparing organized PvP to open world PvP to me is like comparing a Street Fighter tournament to a Mario Party tournament. Sure, many people may enjoy Mario Party, but very few would take it seriously as a competitive title. The "PUG vs. Premade" arguments can be avoided simply by having a sufficient matchmaking system. All the system would need is a team/solo queue that matches people based on the size of the team wishing to enter. This would prevent randoms from getting teamed against full premades.

If "ganking of lowbies by higher level players" is just the initiation before all of the high levels start coming in so the fun can start, I fail to see how it's possibly better than just having designated PvP zones/BGs for people of equal level. This allows us to remove the ganking aspect that people get upset about and just move on to the larger scale combat. I'm all for unpredictable gameplay, but logging in with a reasonable chance that I cannot get anything done that day except get trolled by people that I have no means of competing against besides begging in chat in hopes someone can/will come and help me is never a means of fun in my book. Logging in and not being able to do anything can easily chase away a lot of players that do not have a lot of time to invest into the game.

I've tried quite a few PvP servers in varying MMOs and the only thing I've ever seen them offer that designated open PvP zones/BGs do not is the ability to gank lowbies. "Keeping an eye out for 'the enemy'" is not really all that valid in any game that offers stealth classes. If you can see the enemy then they can potentially see you, and if the game offers heightened maneuverability as you progress then just seeing the enemy first will mean very little in means of survival for lower level players unless they just so happen to have sufficient cover. Overall I find PvP servers follow a simple formula of high level(s) trolls lowbies>lowbies complain in chat/switch to alts if applicable>more high levels enter>high levels continue to enter until chaos ensues>side that got largest army of higher levels prevails in the end. I suppose some may find joy in this, just as many enjoy the random nature of party games, but from the standpoint of providing a competitive environment I find it to be strongly lacking.
    Arrclyde and Apostate like this.
  19. Sephel

Sephel Not a Cupcake

a TDM sounds really fun, either with YOLO mode or 3 stock.
  20. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

Same maps = boring, no matter what game I'm playing.

Another part of the problem I have with instanced PvP, is that it's all mini games. I want WAR. Clicking flags is not WAR! Avoiding fighting the enemy for objectives is not WAR. It's barely even PvP...

Arena is okay, aside from the fact that certain comps stomp other comps. I remember times where it was like, "We keep getting X comp, you sit, you sit, bring in Y class..." So lame. Also, lol... Player vs. Pillar. And it's just all so contrived, same with BGs. I really hate the e-sports aspect of it. I just get so bored so quickly.

And most of all, it means absolutely nothing. I remember base wars from SWG being the ultimate faction vs. faction battles. You destroy what your enemy worked hard to build, and you defend what your faction/guild worked hard to create. There was intrigue, espionage, drama, faction pride, all-out-war. The gameplay was bad, but base wars were amazing. And no one complained that PvP wasn't instanced, and couldn't be accessed from a menu while sitting in a safe zone.

One thing that seems to happen nowadays in MMOs, is that your own faction is more of an enemy to players than the opposite faction. That in itself should tell you that there is something wrong. You're completely detached from your own enemies and the only people to dislike are people that you're competing against in PvE. Yes, even on PvP servers. That is so ridiculously carebear. It drives me nuts.
    Wolf Shaman and Sonntam like this.