1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

So you like open world PvP?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Trijity, May 28, 2013.

?

What's your PvP preference?

1. Open World

62.4%
  2. Organized PvP (Battlegrounds)

32.5%
  3. I hate PvP and you posted a wall of text, why am I here?

5.1%
  1. Elrodeus

Elrodeus Cupcake

Posting again for awesomeness. I didn't kill lowbies...but hell yea I was in your city.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was in BOTH cities lol. Stormwind and Lagforge (Ironforge).
    Sonntam likes this.
  2. Vhael

Vhael Cupcake

Well of course it does. Any concept brings a community together. Even people that hate everything can have communities dedicated to how much they hate everything. As long as there is something that someone likes or can relate to, which is pretty much anything on this planet, it can bring a community together.

Not attempting to be condescending, but the fact that you also responded to World Defense does not change the fact that most people probably just considered you that "typical ganker scum that they hated". Trolls are generally the most well known and have the most notorious reputations in a community. Everyone on the server likely knew you, but most of them likely considered you as little more than a ganking troll. Most people likely ignored you on that bridge because they thought, "Oh, it's that over-geared troll again. Ignore him and hopefully he'll go away." Not saying you were indeed over-geared, but that's likely what most people thought.

If you want a 1v1, there are many 1v1 arenas out there. There is also always the option to duel random people. 1v1s are the easiest form of PvP to initiate in any environment, open world or otherwise. Considering that PUGs are rarely very coordinated, while it has been forever since I played WoW, it was never difficult to get a few 1v1s in a BG. It has been a long time, however, so people may just be more coordinated in WoW BGs than they were before. I would not personally call this a bad thing. The only thing that open PvP offers regarding 1v1 situations that organized PvP does not is the ability to 1v1 people that are not prepared for a 1v1. I personally do not find this fun regardless of which side I am on.

Overall, all forms of PvP are about safety in numbers. The only exception to this is 1v1 only content. If you're playing any form of PvP that is not inherently 1v1, whether open world or organized PvP, and are not utilizing safety in numbers then you're generally just not doing it right. This is why people zerg in larger scaled battles, which is more common in open world content - 40 people in a large group will quickly trample over 40 lone players that are spread out. Personally, if I was looking for 1v1 situations I'd look into one of the many genre of games designed for this purpose and steer clear of MMOs altogether, particularly those that are gear driven.

I acknowledge that this comment has a satirical tone, but just mentioning again that the mindset that most people likely had when they saw you was the one you mentioned earlier. The ones that most people generally view as "really good at PvP" are the ones at the tops of the rankings in the organized PvP structures, not the people that stand in opposing faction territory ganking lowbies. Regardless of how good you may actually be, your behavior tends to have a far greater impact on people's impression of you than how well you perform in PvP.
  3. Kilowatt

Kilowatt New Cupcake

Another excellent explanation of open world PvP. Instanced battlegrounds take you out of the world. They can be fun mini-games but they should be a nice diversion not the main form of PvP.
  4. Cruxxis

Cruxxis New Cupcake

So let me get this straight....you don't like cake?
    Compella likes this.
  5. Vhael

Vhael Cupcake

Cake I have no problem with, I just tend not to like the frosting. Some cakes have decent frosting, I just find most of it is too sweet and detracts from the cake itself. I tend to prefer doughnuts or muffins because it's far more common that they do not have this problem. Sure, there are cakes that are made without frosting, which are what I would partake in if I had to purchase a cake for myself, but they tend to be less common and if somebody shows up with cake, it probably has more frosting than I would like.
    Sonntam and Cruxxis like this.
  6. Cruxxis

Cruxxis New Cupcake

That was great.
  7. SuperomegaOP

SuperomegaOP New Cupcake

my most memorable pvp experiences came from mostly all world pvp in a variety of games... whether it was a 1v1 while questing to city crashing to full out organized brawls in the middle of nowhere it was always intense and almost always fun. Less and less games do this and it really sucks, Ive had to resort to private servers for a few key games and let me tell you something... The magic and memories weren't just nostalgia.
    WakeskaterX and Compella like this.
  8. Seahorse

Seahorse New Cupcake

I enjoy all forms of PvP, but world PvP is one thing I really miss. There are so many MMOs these days that don't even give you the chance to do so.

Just being able to gank someone of the opposing faction (or be ganked) adds extra thrill to the game and if people don't like it, they can just play on a PvE server.
  9. McSteezy

McSteezy Cupcake

World PvP is ridiculously awesome...
    I've always experienced this Guild v. Guild kind of world PvP, where you and an opposite faction guild form a rivalry, just by being the most active PvPers in the "world" on your server. It always gets super intense, with hours upon of hours of city raiding and just full out wars in questing zones... and even though you "hate" them, you come to be fond and have respect for them. I love that.
  10. Nullius

Nullius New Cupcake

An open-world PvP setting along with the choices WildStar is offering has me excited about the possibilities of gameplay---especially towards Eldergame. Couple with that a dedicated community of gamers who are just as enthusiastic about the possibilities of WarPlots, Battleground-type environments, Arenas, Open-World PvPing, etc, I think there's a lot of fun to be had as you coordinate, strategize, and execute those plans with friends/guildmates to either fight on offense or defense to progress in the game world. :p
    Voison and Teehk like this.
  11. Nitebreaker

Nitebreaker New Cupcake

Actually I brought this stuff up in a path thread. How will the paths be introduced in the open world pvp aspect? Like the settler adding defenses for invading faction, or having the explorer open up hidden paths into the enemy towns. I just think open world can be more dynamic and fun and the possibilities are endless with this game and paths+classes+2 factions.
  12. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

Hey guildie :),

World PvP back in the old days of World of Warcraft really kept me playing, the feeling of ganking noobs in TM or crossroads with some guildies or some friends just brought the MMO experience to a whole knew level. You will never have a better MMO experience than being on Vent or TS with some friends at 3am just killing the <REDACTED> out of NPC's and other players, then eventually getting a larger group together going into thunderbluff and knocking people off the elevators ....mmmm :inlove:
    Voison and Nullius like this.
  13. Alex Moore

Alex Moore New Cupcake

Well of course, there doesn't need to be one or the other. You can have world PvP and organized PvP. (Of course organized PvP is more competitive, that should go without saying).

World PvP can be broken up so many different ways... But really there is that random PvP you experience while you're questing along, maybe just a one on one with another guy your level. Then there are the 5 man groups that just want to run around and stomp on noobs questing. Also there are the people who do get the huge raids together and raid towns. Which can be a blast.

The awesome thing about town raids is, yes the group (assuming it's a guild event maybe) should be relatively organized and balanced out, but they not only have to fight masses of random people, they need to fight the NPCs as well. It really makes it exciting for the random guys who feel a desire to defend their land and deprive the enemy faction from getting achievements or feeling accomplished. But it's also intense for the raiding group to keep things together because you're always going to be out numbered. Yes you're the elite group, but 40 people against 100+ random people (with npcs/faction bosses mixed in) is not always a walk in the park! Not to mention the longer to stay, the more and more random people build up and eventually you can't do it. That call to arms that you hear in the trade channel telling everyone to get to orgimmar because the alliance are invading... that is really something exciting and special to be a part of no matter your level really.

Now going back to the other times of world PvP, I believe they need to be preserved completely. No restrictions. I've always played on PvP servers and refuse to play any MMO that doesn't have factions/world PvP. I have spend days going back to stranglethorn vale to camp lowbies. But I have been camped countless times by people as well. It's the beauty of the game. You grit your teeth and take it because you know that eventually you'll pay them back. Factions should hate each other. I played horde 100% of the time. I hated the alliance. I would waste an hour chasing one down to get the a kill. That made the entire experience of living in that world, with that lore, so special.

It also meant that if I got killed by alliance one day, I felt better if I killed some the next. Even if it's not the same person, they're still alliance, they're a family, and so was the horde.

Some people might come in here and complain that they were camped once for hours and that it's not fair or fun. My experience is, usually people get bored after a few kills. You usually have to kill one of their characters to get them that pissed off to camp you. Not to mention there is a crazy mind game (or was in vanilla wow) where a low level character could out wit high level characters and escape them (epic mounts were rare back then, of course no flying mounts either). So there was a fairness to it all, yet the thrill and excitement of seeing someone from the enemy faction, stalking them like prey or running the heck away... it all added to the charm of the game. The overall journey that made WoW special.

It sounds like in Wildstar... you don't even run back to your body? You rez in town or something, so camping shouldn't be much of an issue. Again my experience is high levels kill lowbies for fun because they were killed once upon a time, and after a couple kills they more on and look for new targets.
  14. Level9Zubat

Level9Zubat Cupcake

I like both, as long as "Open World PVP" doesn't include being camped by max level stealth units (or flying mounted guys) who just log in to make your life hell for a couple hours.
    Arrclyde likes this.
  15. Seahorse

Seahorse New Cupcake

Eh... It's part of the fun! Even though it's not really fun when being camped, but always log a high level toon out close. :)
  16. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

I love open world PvP, one of the things I'm looking most forward to in Wildstar. :inlove:
    Teehk likes this.
  17. Level9Zubat

Level9Zubat Cupcake

No, it isn't fun at all for anyone except the jerk doing it. It's nothing but a huge-douche move and frankly should be bannable if it's continued for too long. A kill here and there is fine, whatever. But actually camping someone who has no hope of fighting back is harassment.

And not everyone has a max level character decked out in good enough gear to fight off the camper.
    Arrclyde and Apostate like this.
  18. Voison

Thats what a PvP server is tho... People will be dicks to be dicks, thats why you rally up some friends or guildmates and take him out. I honestly have fun when I either get ganked or I'm the ganker.
    Teehk likes this.
  19. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

exactly
    Voison likes this.
  20. Voison

Yeah don't get me wrong, it can be annoying to get camped by a max level. But if you don't like it, you might want to play on a PvE server. I plan on ganking plenty of people. Not always low level people, but RED = DEAD.
    Teehk likes this.