1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

So you like open world PvP?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Trijity, May 28, 2013.

?

What's your PvP preference?

1. Open World

62.4%
  2. Organized PvP (Battlegrounds)

32.5%
  3. I hate PvP and you posted a wall of text, why am I here?

5.1%
  1. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

I would love to have GvG PvP, Open world pvp is always fun as well, until max level characters come around 1 hitting low level characters haha. Then it gets a bit yeah. >.> A free for all coliseum I think would be really interesting to play with as well.
  2. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

I will join you guildie :)
  3. Level9Zubat

Level9Zubat Cupcake

No, a PvP server isn't a "see who can be the biggest arsehole to one another" contest. It isn't about griefing, not at it's heart. Anyone who considers a PvP server to be around to camp low levels for hours on end just to make them suffer is a jerk. No sugar coating, they're just jerks. Each and every one of them. Killing some low level is fine, as long as you don't make a day of it and ruin his/her entire morning by just pitching a tent and ruining his experience.
  4. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

It's not even fun anyway. I tend to kill lowbies as I pass them but I definitely don't stick around to harass them. Thar be nodes to harvest and quests to complete! >:O
  5. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

Everyone has different ideas of fun guys ^^
  6. Xlugon Pyro

Yup.

I'm basically saying that I don't find it fun. Being a bully isn't amusing. :(
  7. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

Its not really being a bully, your the other faction i hate you so therefore everytime i see you i kill you...thats just common sense, and if i know theres gonna be more of you or your gonna come back to this same spot then your gonna die some more its that simple
  8. Xlugon Pyro

Normally I'd agree, except that there are other people who play this game. Faction pride doesn't justify harassing players. It's fine to get jumped, but not to be camped. This is my opinion though. I just feel we should respect the fact that others play the game in their free time and to not give themselves too hard of a time enjoying it.
    Edouard Seryozhenkov likes this.
  9. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

Playing in a dangerous world where anything can happen at anytime is the real draw of the open world server. Anything less and you are not getting the full experience of an mmorpg game.
    Teehk likes this.
  10. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

This. But this is also the reason why I think that we should not have a gear for PvP separated from PvE (let's not start a new thread about it).
    Also, let's not forget about simple minded PK. There is nothing more satisfying than killing some random players in contested areas and knowing that they are screaming for help or switching to their high level alts when we have already moved along :D

You should scream for help and if other players from your faction don't want to help then just switch :) I think that harassing of this kind is fun for one side an challenging for another. Problems like this can be overcome by in game cooperation between players. If you don't enjoy it PvE servers are for you.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

I was actually discussing this from the perspective of the more powerful player. That said, often people DON'T help when someone is in distress so griefing/camping usually goes unopposed. Switching is only an option if you have a high level toon that can deal with the pest, and even then it's probably a better investment of time and fun to log on a higher level character (if one exists) and go do something else entirely. Otherwise you have to just put up with high-level griefers who you can't kill and can't get help to kill. That isn't challenging. That's just unnecessary frustration.

Now don't get me wrong; I enjoy PvP servers and I like competing with opposite faction players in the same level range as I am in a zone. It can be fun and in those situations you CAN more often find other people to help you - at your level that is, not high level guys unless you're extremely lucky. The thrill is great as long as frustrations are kept minimal.
    Arrclyde likes this.
  12. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

You must know that if you are attacked by really high level player he won't stick there for too long. It will get boring for him as well. It's not a race, you can wait. We should also have other areas of similar level so you can go there (I at least hope we will have a choice where we level). Anyway, this problem is not "permanent" like class imbalance that you have to wait for a patch. And we have PvE. If there is a better solution to it I'm sure it would kill the fun of higher level players who like to PK from time to time :)
  13. Hellspawnx

Hellspawnx Cupcake

I love open world PvP, it makes the game more exciting and dangerous. Do I get ganked and curse up and down because I was 5% health away from downing that world boss when someone pops out of a bush and ganks me. Sure I do but hey you know what I consider ganks as a mechanic of the game its just one more thing you gotta be aware of and it hones your skills.

Plus once I hit max level I get to put the levelers through the pain I endured, being ganked is like hazing or a right of intiation, popping your PvP cherry you could say. The day you go from happy no worries in the world leveling bambi too laying face down in the dirt being T-b.. well you get the idea, Thats when you go from being a bambi to a player.

And no defeat from any boss will ever be as haunting as your first gank it makes you hard makes you prepared for lifes dissapointments, IT MAKES YOU A MAN..... or a WOMAN with muscles.
  14. Xlugon Pyro

Some will stick around, but obviously they won't be there FOREVER. All it takes for a griefer to ruin someone's game time is 30 minutes to an hour of abuse. I think there could be a good solution to dissuade griefing while keeping WPvP alive but such ponderings would warrant a new thread for discussion.

Rolling on a PvP server is just a greater risk and those who decide they'd like to roll there should be aware of what they're getting themselves into. There's nothing wrong or unskilled about those who opt out of PvP play. It's just not their cup of tea and I respect that. Each server type has its share of pros and cons. It's up to the player to decide where he or she would best enjoy their investment of time into the game. If there's an RP-PvP server at launch, there's a good chance I'll end up there, for example.

I hate the analogy but I see what you're saying. XD
  15. Lipgloss

Lipgloss New Cupcake

People don't like organized PVP because they get rolled. Open world PVP will always exist, no reason to pit the two against each other.

Just like top raiders like to see their realm firsts, top PVPers like the recognition and competition of an organized system. Stomping randoms all day in "Open World" simply gets old.
  16. Kluzu

Kluzu Cupcake

Open world PvP can have a number of different types of encounters. From 1v1s, 2v1s up to some amazing 5v1s. Then you can have some 2v2s, 3v2s, etc etc. You also don't know exactly when and where the fight will take place, so a lot of the fun (for me anyways) is using the surrounding environment to my advantage where as in BGs/Arenas it's standard knowledge that can't be exploited against similarly skilled players.

Both formats of PvP test different types of skills, either creativty or map knowledge. They're the same when it comes to amount of players fighting each other, even terrain that's used to its full expected effeciency, and there's no PvE/BG or Arena style buffs involved in any way.

Arenas are controled comps with nothing truly exciting or chaotic. And open world is purely chance, the thrill of the hunt, hiding, running and surviving where anything can happen and anyone can interrupt.
  17. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

A good combination of instanced PvP with open world is the best imo.

I don't think that Carbine needs to go out of their way to encourage open world pvp. They just need to be sure not to hinder it! Don't put level 6000 guards everywhere + make the daily quest and resource areas bleed over into each other. Only allow the best resources in the game to be acquired in hostile zones.

Just spit-balling ideas.
  18. Level9Zubat

Level9Zubat Cupcake

I've known people to camp for over an hour, flying above your corpse waiting for your to respawn to instantly gib you. That's not PVP at that point, that's being a Jerkoff.
    Arrclyde and Rogosh like this.
  19. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

Sadly its going to happen to you or someone you know.. Don't get me wrong, I hate it but I find my self killing lowbies sometimes. I never really camp dead bodies unless someone really upsets me. My A.D.D. makes it impossible to camp bodies. :p I just personally think people who have an issue with people camping bodies should play on a PvE server, till they're ready for PvP. What I did in WoW when I first started, also did it on Rift.
  20. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Agreed. Though Zubat seems to be stuck on high levels camping lowbies that isn't the main problem. The problem is usually that there is no one to help them. I camp lowbies as well: friendly lowbies. I can spend an entire day following lowbies about if they've been screaming for help. I find it fun and rewarding in it's own way. Our lowbies get to level and I get some PvP.

As a lowbie myself though, I don't ask for help for dealing with high levels. I let people know there are some enemies for them to kill in that area and then I just go somewhere else...