1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

So you like open world PvP?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Trijity, May 28, 2013.

?

What's your PvP preference?

1. Open World

62.4%
  2. Organized PvP (Battlegrounds)

32.5%
  3. I hate PvP and you posted a wall of text, why am I here?

5.1%
  1. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

Well now you can just post in guild chat, and someone from TL will help out. "We go a-ridin' into town, a-whompin' and a-whumpin' every living' thing that moves within an inch of its life." I wouldn't say there is no one to help them, like you said you like to help them out. Plenty of people like to camp outside low levels and support them. Sometimes its just someone helping a friend, but they get bored and see red. Red = Dead!
  2. Level9Zubat

Level9Zubat Cupcake

Perhaps I should clarify my previous posts further (though I think I already mentioned this); I have no problem with open world PVP, or even high levels killing lowbies (I even kill them now and then, but never repeatedly, that's just being mean).

The problem I have consists of higher levels deliberately trying to ruin a lowbie's day; be it through spawn camping, killing quest givers repeatedly or leashing dangerous monsters into your AoE then using an Agro Dump (like Vanish in WoW) to make them swarm you and kill you.

Again: Open world PVP good, being an insufferable cod-gargler bad.
  3. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

I really dont like skirmish based PvP, its way to predicatable and you always know where the enemy will come from.
    Im not a fan of ganking people in PvE zones either.

What i really want is sperate huge zones with castles and sieges where i can go to when I want, on MY terms, no queues.

Warplots sounds to "planned" for me, other games like AoC have tried it, and it didnt really work.
  4. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

Why not both?
    CaRaDaGaiTa and Afrotech like this.
  5. Nearo

Nearo Cupcake

I think PvP's alright, I'd definitely partake in it sometimes, but honestly I wouldn't wanna play in a scenario where someone can just murder me whenever they feel like it, anyways. I'd rather avoid a server with open PvP as much as possible. Organized can be tons of fun if in the mood, just.. yeah.
    I don't play MMOs specifically for PvP, at any rate.
  6. Celebrochan

Celebrochan Cupcake

The only open world pvp I have experienced is being greifed by lvl 60 people in a zone half their level. Funny thing, I have experienced this in over a dozen different games, and immediately makes me tell my friends "yes I love you guys... but I'm not playing on a open world pvp server."
  7. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

^^^^^^^ This

I'm what you call an all purpose pvp'er. I love pvp in both it's flavors instanced and open world the more pvp options the better.
    Being able to switch gears between the two breaks monotony for me.

Aside from the excitement of combating real players I like instanced pvp because, of the progression and I like open world pvp because it brings an element of unscripted danger to the world.

Every MMO I have ever played is based around 2 or more factions engaged in a war setting. A war setting with no element of danger from the opposite faction is as emersion breaking for me as a static world with no day night cycles or random weather conditions.

Aside from the Path system I think it would be quite a shame for Carbine or any developers to painstakingly create these amazing huge open worlds and the majority of the time that will be spent in it will be during the leveling stage and ultimately farming.

Yeah so is both too much to ask for?
    Xevius likes this.
  8. Ashardalon

Ashardalon New Cupcake

After getting pub-stomped in TERA the whole idea of open-world PvP doesn't appeal to me, plus there are people who could be enjoying themselves, RPing, etc. that don't want to be interrupted, but OWPvP allows for griefing of that sort.

Then again this could be a bias because I hate PvP since it brews anger in people when they lose so it's totally butts come on people.
  9. selodaoc

I guess "areas" within the PvE zones ,that i think Wildstar will have and Warhammer had, are fine.

I agree on having as many PvP systems as possible.

The only downside i could see is that we MMO players by nature always tries to find some way to maximise our farm, and if you for example get "pvp points" for both skirmish and open world pvp, people will farm the easiest way, which usually are by making a good group and farm pugs in skirmish.
    And making battlegrounds empty in the process.
  10. Afrotech

No worries other than the appeal of open world pvp itself the only reward for it will be experience points for level appropriate enemy faction kills.
  11. selodaoc

Ah, so there arent any PvP ranks, "points" to trade gear for etc?

The only way to get that is in skirmish on none at all? Not really a fan of farming skirmishes..
  12. Afrotech

Not sure about specifics but, it's my understanding that there will be gear progression through instanced pvp, but it doesn't apply to or include open world pvp.
  13. selodaoc

<REDACTED>, ill probably still do it, but <REDACTED> :p
  14. Bifurcation

Bifurcation Cupcake

I like both, but I have grinded a lot of bgs/arenas in the past. So.... world pvp > instance pvp
  15. Tonks

Tonks Cupcake

Its very sad to me that so many of you attribute world pvp to merely getting griefed by someone twice your level. When people share their fun experiences around world pvp you don't usually hear things like "man i loved getting camped on my level 10 by a level 50 guy!" or "I totally cleaned up that low level zone by one shotting all the lowbies!". Its closer to "a friend an I were questing with a couple mobs on us and all of a sudden a group of 3 enemies came out of no where! We had to take care of the mobs on us and heal ourselves up while mitigating the damage and CC of the other group. Then while we danced around other mob spawns in the area we had this great 5 minute fight where my friend Jimmy got killed in the end but we ended up taking down all 3 of them with mobs on us and then i ressed Jimmy and we all had a great time!"

Its sad you people don't get the tense experiences of Darkfall, the joys of small group vs raid wiping from beta WAR or the older DAoC or even the fun of vanilla wow camping blackrock pass so horde guilds couldn't get to MC or killing the crossroads flight master until there was a giant backlog of 60s trying to kill you and your group since every flight path went through there.
    Wolf Shaman likes this.
  16. Anstalt

Anstalt Cupcake-About-Town

I'm a world pvp man myself. When I look back at the MMOs I've played in depth (swg, lotro, war, sw:tor), my favourite memories from each are from world pvp.

In SWG, the memory is of my first base defence. I was a complete noob in swg, but through endless rancor quest farming and some kind guildies I had myself a good set of gear and a good template. My first base defence with my guild (RFR, euro-chimaera) was awesome! It lasted for what seemed like ages with the enemy getting close to blowing up our base, but we managed to hold out. I dont think I got any kills but the fighting was epic.

In LotRO, my memory is from when the Delving of Fror was released. DoF is a dungeon area under the usual pvp map where freeps and creeps can go to farm NPCs for good rewards. It is open to both sides, though only one side can enter at any given time (access was granted based on state of the ettens). Anyway, on this occasion my guild and I were farming lizards in the middle area when we were ambushed by a similar number of creeps from the main creep guild. One of our hunters panicked and immediately zoned out (much to our amusement and his eternal shame) but the rest of us had a great fight. We eventually won but I was literally the last man standing!

In WAR, my memory is of my first fortress siege. This was the first time Destruction on Karak-Azgal had secured enough keeps to make it to a fortress so naturally the entire server turned up! I reckon maybe 600-700 were there on each side, so needless to say it was a slideshow followed by server crash, but it looked immense and it felt great to be part of that experience!

In SW:TOR, my memory is just of a small-scale fight in the centre area, but as the rest of the game was so poor this is the memory that stands out lol.

There are a number of things that really make world pvp stand out for me.

1) Objectives. Taking a keep, advancing on the opposing city etc all require large co-ordination to achieve and really make you feel like you've done something worthwhile when you do it. This can't be replicated in instanced pvp due to the transient nature of instanced pvp. Whatever you achieved will be gone within 5-10minutes.

2) Group Sizes. Yeh, the zerg is a problem but assuming the combat mechanics are good then world pvp allows you to enjoy yourself whether you are solo or in a raid. You can stick with the main action or go for a wander. Basically, you can have the fun you want to have rather than being forced down a certain route (instanced pvp).

3) Scale! I love large scale fights, despite my lack of a good computer. Large scale fights just feel more epic, they look awesome and they stick in the mind. This can't really be replicated through instanced pvp either. My favourite pvp zone from WAR was Prague. It was a burnt-out city with loads of side-streets and objectives which meant it was easy to avoid the zerg. The zone was thus full of small roaming groups and as fights broke out, they'd escalate as more people came to join in until someone won. Traps, counters, ganking, zerging, flanking and bottlenecks were all common and were only possible because of the scale of the fighting/zone.

Now, I will agree that world pvp, once the numbers increase, tends to be less about individual skill and more about numbers / group skill, but that is OK for me. Personal skill still plays a part when the combat systems are well designed, for example in WAR the best guilds would often wipe twice their number through superior tactics and player skill.

The things that typically ruin world pvp, for me at least, are:

1) Lack of objectives and incentives.
    Whilst I love world pvp, without objectives and incentives it is basically just sparring. Objectives give meaning to your actions, encourage you to attack/defend and basically encourages prolonged pvp.

2) No dedicated zone
    This combines with lack of objectives, but with no dedicated zone you either end up annoying too many people (ganking the pve'ers etc) or you end up spreading out the fighting too much so pvp becomes rare.

3) Lack of self-balancing mechanism.
    One side will always outnumber the other, no matter what. Given that numbers count for a lot with world pvp it is important that the game puts in a self-balancing mechanism to give the underdogs a chance. At a simple level, this might be just adding NPCs / safe zones that the underdogs can fall back to. It might mean giving a buff to the underdogs. Hopefully, it is something more advanced. In SoA LotRO, the self-balancing mechanism was the Delving of Fror. When one side was winning, they'd gain access to the DoF which was the place to farm good pvp items. So, half the winning team would disappear to the DoF which then swung balance the other way. The underdogs became the winners and they themselves would gain access to the DoF. The cycle repeated, to everyones benefit, for about 6 months before too many people had all the epics they needed and so stopped leaving.
  17. selodaoc

Two side realms usually dont work to well though since it turns into camping.
    Its better with 3 sides like DaoC to prevent one side beeing to powerful.
  18. mmofan

mmofan New Cupcake

when i got seriously bored in wow a few years ago, i joined a wpvp guild. it was the most awesome time i had in wow. you'd log on, there'd be chatter about one of our rival guilds in team chat, then EVERYONE GET ON TS NOW, you log on and your leaders would be gathering a defence raid for ogrimmar. all hands on deck, alliance spotted coming en mass through south gate. cue a very coordinated defence raid - every class had its role to play, melee to the front, healers in position, spellcasters on roofs, a few rogues spying behind their lines. we'd rive them back, they'd disappear. scouts were sent out. 5 minutes later... they've been spotted in a nearby zone, every in the air, GOOOO!!!! we wipe them. then its revenge time. EVERYONE TO THE RENDEVOUS IN THE TOWER OUTSIDE STORMWIND. kill some guards, decoy attack, then swoop down in the city while they were distracted. massacre everyone there. this could go for hours.

that's world pvp. there is simply no comparison to instanced battlegrounds. it's a sandbox.
  19. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

I love PVP. World pvp, bgs, arenas, duels, ganking, i love. I just hate siege... siege sucks...

Ganking lowbies is so fun! Can't wait to do that in W* :D