1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Soldiers and PvP

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Avecinna, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Avecinna

Avecinna New Cupcake

Well, basically, since I couldn't find anything about this in the search bar, and I have neither twitter, nor Facebook (shh... I know), I finally decided to make an account and post this noobish, and probably already asked, also fairly obvious question here.

The soldier path is supposed to make you more powerful damage- and burst-wise, right? At least that's what I got from the presentations of it (i.e. fighting multiple mobs alone in god-mode etc.).
    So, how will this work in PvP? Will the effects not work in Arenas and BGs? Will the effects not work against players overall? Or will soldiers get this kind of OP buff that makes it the go-to choice for PvPers who wish to dps? I mean, I am sure the rest of the paths would have their own function if the latter was the case, but nothing really does compete to burst damage when it is too high, does it?

...Or have I gotten it all wrong?
  2. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

The 'known' (I'm not sure if they're official or beta leaks) soldier path buffs right now are either stat bonuses or summoning pets to do damage. I'm fairly certain in terms of burst the explorer path has the most bursty ability.

Path missions (and abilities I hope) are supposed to be more about how you want to play your game while you level/dick around in your down time rather then hugely important endgame stuff
  3. Avecinna

Avecinna New Cupcake

Thanks for the response, but that still leaves the question of a PvP system where paths play a bigger role than they supposedly should to?
    Though maybe all four paths will have a greatly balanced damage system, but that feels a tad unlikely.

Maybe it's just wait and see for now! :)
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well from that presentation they kinda mean it as in a quests way, you'll act all mighty and go kill alot of mobs.
    But indeed in PvP they seem to be (a bit) balanced, the numbers are NDA material so we can't discuss that but they can always nerf the time it's active or the damage it does or anything else.

I think they want to avoid the case were 1 path is best for raiding and another is bestt for Arena so every min-maxer goes that path.

But we'll see eventually.
  5. Avecinna

Avecinna New Cupcake

Thank you for the responses.

Sounds great then, hopefully it will stay balanced and not be like Extatica said, with optimal paths for your role and such.
  6. column

column New Cupcake

carbine says that they don't want anyone to have to reroll there character only for a path, and if anything is imbalanced they will nerf/buff it to fix that path. They also said they don't want paths to be the "center" of gameplay, more about a general type of play enjoyed. I also believe (again no source, ive just looked up wildstar information for hundreds of hours) they said they don't want paths to effect PVP gameplay to a large degree, however they want different paths to add different unique things to warplots (no further information on this however)
  7. FhaTe

FhaTe New Cupcake

I'm hoping that the paths don't factor soo much in PvP because, honestly it would then be a bit like forcing people to go with the vanilla paths just to compete on an even plateau. Though I enjoy the affinity purposes of the paths, I just hope it stays more so focused heavily in the PvE aspect, unless they have a good way to limit the "skills" of the paths.
  8. The Big Q

The Big Q Cupcake

I mean worst case scenario happens and one path is dominating in pvp. All carbine has to do is turn off bonuses for pvp. Boom paths are irrelevant to pvp, which honestly isn't that big a deal as they are mostly designed around pve content anyways. Maybe not the optimal solution, but certainly not a terrible one.
  9. Expulze

Expulze New Cupcake

I think with most games on launch, the dispravity between paths may not necesarily be obvious in PVP, but after a few weeks when people are max level, if abilities are usesable in PVP, there could be a big difference. Its down to how the devs respond to this, will they simply let it go or with they re-patch on a regular basis. Having PVP updated regularly requires Devs to have their own team dedicated to this, which requires funding. The game will have very little funding at the beginning as they would have alreay spent so much on the marketing, but it is NCSOFT, so lets hope that they have taken all of these things into consideration for launch.
  10. Zadok

Zadok New Cupcake

I personally don't mind how much paths impact gameplay, as long as there is an option to change paths at level cap. I'd suggest making it a paid process to ensure it still feels like an important decision, and additionally improves profits for Carbine.
  11. GloryHogXL

GloryHogXL Cupcake

I hope paths come with certain bonuses specific to PvP and PvE. Just like PvP gear will offer a different stat than PvE gear. Really it all comes down to balancing. Its about making choices.. If being a soldier gives more damage in pvp and PvE so what. If being a explorer gives more Sprint/movement speed in PvP and PvE its ok with me.. I want to make those kinda choices.If balanced correctly it should not matter because each path will have their roles in wildstar.
  12. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Cupcake

True to a point. But if paths matter in PvP it will force me to play one over another. For instance, I play a ton of PVP so for me I get my carnage kicks there. But when I'm out questing or what have you I'm not in need of a greater amount of mob destruction. I plan to do settling or scientist. Now if those bonuses are more geared to support or healing or what have you, then I'm forced to play soilder in order to achieve max DPs at endgame. So I really don't want it to count because my main in PVP is always mele dps and I don't like the soilder path really.