1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

some concerns about Wildstar combat

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by jimjimjim, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Huntress-Rune

Huntress-Rune New Cupcake

Ah you are right, I also went back to check the film. I am sorry that I called them "scorpions" when their name was "Scrab Strikers" and that I said "kill 5" when the quest was actually to kill 8 of them....

Personally I think people like you are not willing to listen to any reasonable discussion about the game, without trying to dismiss it as "whining" and "using WSC as your personal blog".

I am only stating my concerns. Maybe I am wrong. I hope I am wrong because I really WANT to enjoy this game. But the game is in development, and people need to voice their concerns so that they can be addressed. It is up to the devs (and other people who should also voice their opinion), to decide whether this is actually an issue or not. But trying to shut down any voiced concern about the game without any consideration at all is close minded, and with such thinking nothing in the world would ever improve.
    sidhia and Tex Arcana like this.
  2. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

Watching the latest twitch video i cant say im impressed.
    The combat looks like alot of AoE spam buttonmashing while strafing as much as possible. CC is pretty much worthless thanks to easy breakout. Not 1 second you dont have to strafe/dodge out of telegraphs.
    And it was even worse in PvP, that just looked horrible.

54:40 AoE SPAM while running around like monkeys!

My concerns for the combat in WS has elevated alot.
  3. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

It was a ‘Challenge’; an optional timed quest (9 minutes), with varied rewards dependent on the number of kills in the time frame, which is part of the layered content… that the Dev was obviously ignoring. There were two 9 minute Challenges during this time, and the Dev ignored both of them.

I felt/feel you were deceptive with your example; you played the Kill # of MOBs are boring card, making the Challenge sound like the long drawn out, mandatory quest that are standard to many MMOs.
    If you had just said that you found the Warrior gaming long and boring in the vid we would not be having this discussion.
  4. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

Sel , I think I gotta say WildStar may not be the game for you. You have mentioned previously you don't like/understand the Action Combat Style and above you call the combat "running around like monkeys." But Let's face it W* bills itself as a faced-paced action game. Not really sure why you expect something else. I see the LiveStream combat very differently from you. WoW combat seems almost stagnant to me now after GW2 and the likes. W* looks like a melding of the old and new to me. An Updated more frenetic version of WoW. I'm not saying you are wrong. We are just looking for different things. But when W* says there will be a lot of movement in their game, that the whole combat system is being modified to fit all this movement (Break outs, Telegraphs, Move casting....) then you might expect a good bit of movement during combat. For my money, the game seems to be doing whats its advertised it would do.
    Leiloni and Bnol like this.
  5. selodaoc

Just annoying when you like 9/10 things about a game, but the 1/10 is such an important part.
    Really dissliked the combatsystem in GW2 and this looks like even more running around and even less fighting.

There arent any good mmorpgs out there right now, and the only ones in development are stuck in action combat.
  6. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

If GW2 is the only "action combat" game you've played then please branch out. GW2 is truly a hybrid game - it's half action combat, half tab target and the lack of a trinity was a large part of the problem with combat although it most definitely had other problems. I personally was not a fan of GW2 combat, either.

But there are other action combat games out there that are fun and give you a taste of what can be done with such a system. Wildstar is doing their own take on the action combat thing and so far it looks pretty awesome. TERA and Neverwinter are two of the more popular F2P action combat games that are worth checking out; a lot of people say SMITE has similar combat to Wildstar with the telegraphs although it doesn't have dodging and whatnot. Vindictus and Dragon Nest, while not quite what Wildstar is going for, are different types of F2P action combat games that a lot of people enjoy as well.

You might have a different perspective on that Esper stream after trying out some of those games.
  7. selodaoc

Played both Tera and NW until i maxed my chars. Combat wasent that great but it had decent cc mechanics and avoiding telegraphs didnt take over to much of the fight.WS seems more AoE spammy then both of them
  8. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

AoE spammy in what way? Both of those games had plenty of AoE-based skills similar to the ones Wildstar has (limited size and player limit, etc.), both on the side of players and enemies but once you got into it they weren't being spammed. There was a purpose to skill use and strategy to combat in both games like there will be in Wildstar. Any game is going to look spammy when you don't pay attention and understand what's going on - even a tab target game.