1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

some concerns about Wildstar combat

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by jimjimjim, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Katherine

Katherine Cupcake-About-Town

So basically the worse player you are, the harder it is? Well hello there Captain. Obvious. All that you've described really doesn't consitute anything remotely hard to do. I hope Wildstar has a bit more than buff & resource watching to make it a challenge. I'm sure your friend was a decent player and all that, but a decent player does not a hard game make ;).

A healers job is only as hard as the raid makes it, frankly, unless the combat specifically gives you something to do. Its not hard, it's never been hard in any MMO I've ever played. Is it amazingly easy? Nope. Mechanics make a fight hard, not your role. Playing the bar-filling game is pretty damned straight forward, especially if you have fewer types of abilities at your disposal.

Anyway, if Tera's combat is all that and was so challenging, why are you waiting for Wildstar? I was perfectly ok to say leave it at that whilst letting you know my opinion on a game (note: not player). Jeeze.
  2. Katherine

Hah! What? No we haven't. We've given an opinion on why too much action isn't always a good thing, and had the fanboy rage in response defending their beloved Tera.

Agreed.

My main worry about Wildstar combat is not having any meaningful cooldowns. Also, in the vids it says that stuns etc: make the target take 50% (?) increased dmg, does this include players? If so, cooldowns would sink in nicely with that.
  3. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

What?... I don't think any of my posts could constitute as rage. All I have been doing is correcting or giving more insight on the mechanics of the game since you are clearly lacking on that front. But I guess lowering yourself to insulting was the path you wanted to take. Congratulations.

The reason I don't play TERA anymore is because combat isn't the only thing that makes a game. It lacked substance on other fronts. It was a horrible gear grind and I just couldn't push myself to go through another masterworking/enchanting nightmare that TERA can be.

I've only been "defending" TERA because I feel that even with its many flaws it still has some good things that can be taken from it. The sense of danger being one of them. Having action combat without a limited action bar being another. Some people didn't like it but I thought it added another aspect was the animation lock. You couldn't just spam attacks, you had to make sure you weren't going to be hit while in animation (probably wouldn't work in Wildstar though). Collision added a whole different aspect to PvP and PvE.
    Leiloni likes this.
  4. Katherine

^

Must of misread them then, apologies. Bygones and all that, lets move on to Wildstar.
    Vunak and OriCakes like this.
  5. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face> And there was me fetching my paddle. Remember to keep it civil guys, people should be allowed to voice their opinion without being relentlessly attacked for it. </Mod Face>
  6. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

This is the interwebs Ico :p flaming and fanboyism goes hand in hand with it

I dont like WoW.
    But i prefer the older combatstyle since i think its much more strategic and requires more skill then action combat.
    TERA is much better then GW2, but i rather see a mix between EQ (oldstyle) and TERA combat.
  7. Haellion

Haellion New Cupcake

What I've noticed from the released videos (Namely the stream) is that there's a greater emphasis on landing your telegraphed attack in the hit-box of the enemy you're fighting, rather than focusing on whether your character's animation actually hit the target. This disconnect I find is rather immersion breaking...

Also I'm not liking the pacing so far. During the level 3 stalker fights with the scorpions, it felt needlessly drawn out. It was even worse for the spell slinger. They took forever to die. I also really do hope mobs are more dynamic than what I saw, or chances are I won't have much fun with Wildstar in the end. (Mind you, I've just come from playing dark souls, so I'm already having high expectations for combat.)

I know better than to draw to conclusions on a game not released that I haven't even tried, so I'm still waiting on the beta to give it a shot.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

From what I've heard, those early mobs are dull for a good reason; they're meant to be easy. I also recall hearing that Carbine is doing a lot of revisions to the classes so perhaps those early fights won't last as long.

I also heard stories of how people thought early combat was pretty dull and simple, and then they tried to do Whitevale and the challenge skyrocketed big time.

It is early and Carbine is in the midst of some pretty significant overhauls. I'd stick around to see what changes come our way.
    Leiloni likes this.
  9. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, just keep in mind this build was about 6 months old roughly. They've changed a bit since then, including having mobs go down faster I believe.
  10. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

I would like for skills to have more "oompf" aswell.
    Watching the stalker video pretty much all skills looked the same and had no "hit" feel in them.

Im not the biggest fan of NW combat, but i liked the feel of hitting the enemy in that game
  11. mykx

mykx New Cupcake

Hello, in this post I am going to discuss some concerns I have with WildStar pertaining to the look, sound, feel of combat based on gameplay footage I've seen. I'll be using warrior and stalker gameplay footage from the videos below to make my points.

- There are no impact when sounds when attacking enemies. In the warrior video at 2:20 you get the sound of the warrior swinging into thin air, it sounds the same when attacking enemies; same thing in the stalker footage around 2:20; its like you're swinging through air when attacking enemies - no impact. The attacks need some type of impact sound when hitting something to add weight to the attacks. Also the sound of the stalker filler attack is too sharp; I feel that a deduction of the swing sound (the metal part?) coupled with an impact sound would do wonders.

- This point pertains to the warrior filler attack relentless strikes. I feel the animation sequence could run smoother. At 2:20 - 6:26 you see after each sword swing there are pauses at the end of the animations - swing pause swing pause swing pause. Why are those pauses there? The animations need to transition smoothly back to the combat ready stance so the attack doesn't look slow and choppy. The pauses really detract from the visceral feeling that could be had with that attack.

- Lastly, I will be touching on attacks that have an animation sequence - this pertains to filler attacks mostly or attacks that can be spammed. For example in the warrior video at 2:20 and 21:52 we see some of the warrior filler attacks; there is relentless strikes - left swing, right swing, spin - and the big overhead swing the draken was using, when these skills are being used in succession they look repetitious which in turn gives combat a "spammy" look. One way I think to remedy this would be to randomize the animations in the abilities that have an attack sequence. So with relentless strikes instead of left swing(ls), right swing(rs), spin(s) repeat it could be random, for example, rs, rs, s, ls, rs, ls. Now attacks with only one animation (the filler move the draken warrior was using 21:52 and power strike spam at 12:28 - and I note the lack of an impact sound) could use more attack animations, even one extra would do, so the sequence could be randomized thus detracting from the repetitious look of said attack.

The animations themselves look spectacular (I really enjoyed the look/sound of the filler attack the draken warrior used); I just feel that they could be utilized better to give the ambience of combat weight and a more visceral feeling, look, sound.
  12. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

I personally can't comment on the animations, but the impact effects of hitting enemies is something they've said they were/are working on, including giving enemies flinch animations and grunts. It probably wasn't included for time reasons in the warrior video.

The stalker video is months old and thus isn't going to look anything close to it.
    Kataryna and Leiloni like this.
  13. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

Comon Guy, Its beta!
    Kataryna likes this.
  14. Xlugon Pyro

Everything you talked about is being addressed and fixed by Carbine.

/thread
    Leiloni likes this.
  15. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

:coffee: Let's have some coffee and wait for the changes now shall we?
    Leiloni likes this.
  16. Xlugon Pyro

Or we can just eat Extataco. Delicious, spicy chua caked in cheese...
  17. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

18. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

The hit impact was commented on in one of the patch notes or future points that will be added in if it was for CBT4 or 5, i can't recall however.

Spammy feel of each class was also to be addressed or already has.
  19. Pinga

Pinga New Cupcake

Which actually makes this kind of feedback even more important.
  20. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face>Threads merged for topic.</Mod Face>