1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Sooooo Scientists questions

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Bargehst1210, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Bargehst1210

Bargehst1210 New Cupcake

Ive always been a lore nut so Im quite certain Ill be playing Scientest but other then the focus on learning story/logic puzzles is there any chunk of info i could eat? I remember hearing that as a scientist you get bonus's on damaging creatures you've studied but I dont remember anything specific
  2. Garalia

Garalia New Cupcake

Have you seen the Press Tour video?

At around 08:30 they're doing some Scientist stuff, and you'll see the same area demo'd several times in various videos. I don't remember reading anything about gaining any advantages to damaging creatures through the path, but you do get missions to scan various things, unlock certain puzzles and hidden rooms, and all kinds of lore-related unlocks. There was a comment about scanning loftite crystals (those blue floating crystals) which would then allow you to jump higher and more effectively when loftite is around.
    MrDreadful likes this.
  3. Baeldan

Baeldan Cupcake-About-Town

I've got a question about them myself if someone can help. From my understanding scientists use scanbot things to scan everything they want to 'science' (heretofore science is a verb). Is it possible to... not? I'd love to play a scientist and grab extra lore and research creatures to gain advantages and science all the things, but I'd rather do it myself than have a robot do it for me. Bit of an immersion breaker.

I appreciate why heaps of people might love the scanbot, but to me it's comparable to having a Settler robot that constructs building for you while you run around killing things - you/your character isn't the one with the skill.

Pretty obvious I won't be able to science things myself but I guess I may as well ask.
  4. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

The Scan-Bot is comparable to your office computer--while it is possible to do your job without it, it will be marginally harder if not impossible in some respects.

So no, your Scan-Bot will do all the usual things like taking samples, analyzing data, and coming up with mathematical conclusions, not you. You, however, will be the one taking it to exotic locations, ordering it around, then defending it from whatever unholy horror you unearth.
  5. Bargehst1210

Bargehst1210 New Cupcake

Would be awesome if they gave the scanbot a claptrap like personality when it'll make funny comments when you call it down
    Hy'Tchok likes this.
  6. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

I wouldn't put it past Carbine to have AI's and voice packs. An assistant is only as good as he can communicate with you, after all.
    JackyVee likes this.
  7. Hy'Tchok

Hy'Tchok New Cupcake

Not sure what their source is, but the links below seem to imply you will get some sort of bonuses specific to Scientist. Bonuses against flora & fauna you have "studied" makes a lot of sense (and I vaguely remember hearing that somewhere as well). Keep an eye out for these links:
    Soldier - seem to get some sort of rage (so dps) bonus
    Explorer - seem to get speed & endurance bonus
    Settler - not yet known
    Scientist - not yet known
    JackyVee likes this.
  8. Roda

Roda Cupcake-About-Town

With the one scientist puzzle we've seen, I'm a bit worried that the randomized "puzzles" will wind up only consisting of "did you pick the right combination" without really requiring any investigation beyond checking an abstracted yes/no indicator. :c

I mean, if my job as a scientist is to gather information, it would be nice to actually use the information I had already gathered in my quest to find more information!
    (No, the use scanbot on loftite to jump higherer does not count. I want to do the work, not have my bot transfer improved performance to my character without me actually having done anything!)
    Baeldan likes this.
  9. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

[​IMG]
    Kataryna and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  10. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

edited via time mage: http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-gameplay-hands-on/ Around 7:20 he's scanning some snails and talks about getting bonus' from scanning wildlife, doesn't explicitly say "you do more damage" but its something.
  11. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

I believe Scientists get a self heal and some other interesting path skills. So, even though they're more about Lore than combat or anything else, they get a self heal... So, that automatically makes Scientist good, especially in PvP...
  12. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Soldiers have been hinted as having the ability to summon reinforcements as a path ability. A stalker can 'clone' themselves as a class ability. So a Stalker with soldier path could be like a little mini army using both together.

That being said, I wonder if another Science Path ability would be something like "Summon Reactivated Eldan Doombot".
  13. Roda

Roda Cupcake-About-Town

Have your little robobuddy go berserk mode then have to recharge? :p
  14. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

This came up in another thread, but it's also related to this thread. So....

First, assume there is a faction communication barrier. Make it like the weird talky talking in World of Warcraft.

Now, scientists eventually unlock the path ability to speak Eldan.

Scientists from both sides can speak Eldan.

Scientists from both sides can now insult each other with mathematical formulas and references to a limited gene pool!

Self destruct mode! Like Girr from Invader Zim.
    Mondasin and Roda like this.
  15. Eversannik

Eversannik New Cupcake

Imma sing the doom song now! Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom lol
    Mondasin and Inukeu like this.