1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Spellslinger: Throwing opponents of the mountain

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Hy'Tchok, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Hy'Tchok

Hy'Tchok New Cupcake

There was a nasty but genius little trick in WoW where rogues would purposefully jump off a ledge to lure an enemy in to doing the same. At which point the rogue (with excellent timing) would shadowstep (while falling) to his target and reappear at the top of the ledge. Meanwhile the opponent typically leaps to his/her doom...

Spellslingers have an ability to SWAP places with opponent...
    /MWUAHAHAHHAAAAAAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAA

Anyone know if you can cast while jumping/falling in WS?
    Anyone know what the deal is on fall damage in WS (sadly seems minimal)?
    Tribe and Roda like this.
  2. JackyVee

JackyVee Cupcake

From the videos it looks like fall damage has been turned off, but I would expect some degree of it - especially to add some risk to the Explorer path!

I guess we can't say for sure, unless any smart Chua out there can enlighten us with a citation saying one way or the other?

As for the body swapping thing, I'd guess it can be used on the move as that's Carbine's intention with the game, so it would fit the action combat theme.

I know it's a pain, but clever use of the mechanics to lure Avatars into suicide is just what it is - innovative. Don't jump off of high ledges is one of the more standard of rules, even if somebody else does it before you. ;)
    Sonntam, Kash and Roda like this.
  3. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

Pretty much anything can be done on the move. This should work, assuming there is fall damage. Hell, it would still be funny even without fall damage.
    JackyVee likes this.
  4. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

there is fall damage but its quite minimal from what I have seen and the swap places ability I have only seen the gunslinger use it stationary not sure if that one can be cast while moving
  5. Hy'Tchok

Hy'Tchok New Cupcake

I can still dream :)

Even if minimal damage from falling, it would be a great way to separate a couple people in 2v1
  6. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Diabolical. I like it.

Here's hoping that Engineers have access to elevator skills, I mean it would only make sense. Right?
    Jaques Veles, Leviathain and Roda like this.
  7. Roda

Roda Cupcake-About-Town

That might just be the most beautiful video I've seen in my life..
  8. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Yay! I'm a Mechari teaming with my Chua friend who's an explorer! Little chua knows so many places that he shows me! This one time we hiked up a mountain! Then my little chua friend slipped! Oh noes!

But it was okay. My little chua friend used his craft super smart Spellslinger abilities to swap places with me! So he was saved and I fell. Yay!

On a related note, must upgrade Mechari firewalls.....
  9. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

This thread reminds me of the good 'ol days of mind controlling noobs off cliffs to their death in WoW.
  10. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

Reminds me when my Father would screw with Horde bot-ers up in Azshara, Control pet > attack bot with pet > run pet off cliff > Bot follow's pet off cliff and either dies or gets stuck in the ocean. > call pet back.

Doesn't this position switch have a cast time of some sort?
    Sonntam likes this.
  11. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

it does have a cast time Zap uses it a couple of times in the pvp video he recently did vs Arawulf since it apples the disorient cc effect I think still tho even if you cant jump and switch off a cliff just switching out nearby could be enough since there controls will be all messed up they might just run off the cliff themself
  12. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-gameplay-hands-on/ at around 5:47 he leaves an anti-gravity area and takes some damage from falling
    Sonntam likes this.
  13. Hy'Tchok

Hy'Tchok New Cupcake

Nothing worse than being on the receiving end of that... But fun game-play for sure
  14. Roda

Roda Cupcake-About-Town

What if you had..
    #BREAKOUTGAMEPLAY
  15. Hy'Tchok

Hy'Tchok New Cupcake

lol... what a genius idea! I would love to play a game like that!
  16. Roda

Roda Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, me too.
  17. Azzizabiz

Azzizabiz Cupcake

As someone for whom the Lumber Mill in Arathi Basin (WoW, if anyone didn't recognize that) was one of my absolute favorite locales in all of MMO-PvP, on multiple classes (though Priest was my main), I have to agree that tricks to either fool or blast your foes into that swan-dive to oblivion are a great deal of fun. That said, if abilities with the potential to create such a situation are not present on all classes, it can be really unfair, and almost game-breakingly upsetting to anyone that plays a class left without such a capacity.

I'm going to bet that while the location-swap ability that Spellslinger's have is usable on the move (which would make sense given the style of combat in Wildstar), I strongly suspect it will not be usable when not on the ground (such as mid-jump or falling).
  18. Hy'Tchok

Hy'Tchok New Cupcake

19. Jaxxa

Jaxxa Cupcake

I don't know about the swap ability but Hy'Tchok's link shows that there is some room to cast while jumping. Earlier in the Twitch video at 25:30 Scooter jumped off a steep cliff and he made sure to mention he had slow fall on the way down...suggesting that a tall cliff fall would normally kill you. I know that doesn't answer the question of how much damage a fall does but it implies that fall damage can kill.
  20. Agneos

Agneos Cupcake

All casting, aside from channeled or charge-up spells, can be cast while jump/falling. So as long as this Swap ability is an instant cast, I don't see why not?

Also, the fall damage in demos are turned off. There will be fall damage, and it will be very lethal from high drops. The only reason it's off in demos is because they don't to be exploring to show off their world, and keep having to revive because they died to fall damage.