1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Stalker: Likes & Dislikes

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Sephel, May 25, 2013.

1. Sephel

Sephel Not a Cupcake

So I played a Rogue for 7 years in WoW and so naturally, I'm leaning toward playing the Stalker (on a PvP server of course). I live for moments like stealthing in the bushes to camp other players and becoming the most hated/annoying ganker in town. But I've been following the Stalker for awhile, and I have a few concerns.

Concerns:

-The size of the claw animation. Its absolutely massive, has anyone else had this thought? Even if they just decreased the size by 30% I think it would make a huge difference.

-The noise of the claw slashing. High pitched and slightly irritating.

-Variations in the claw animation. I don't know if different weapons change the size/color/sound, but I could see it getting old fast if not. Because otherwise I'm just going to feel like I'm using the same weapon the entire game. Its a bit strange to have these massive claws at level 1, and then to see a level 50 with with the same animation.

Other than this, everything is looking good to me (however, I would definitely prefer perma-stealth). Maybe someone could reassure me here? Does anyone else have any concerns for the Stalker?
  2. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

There's something about the abilities of the stalker I've seen so far that leave me pretty of underwhelmed. I know not every class needs to have fancy moves that require a lot of set up or have crazy AoE effects, but all the demos with stalker seemed like the class basically involves running (or stealthing) straight up to a mob's face and standing in front of it just hitting it until it dies. Much the same as a standard warrior type class, except with claws instead of a sword.

I'm probably just spoiled because the last rogue class I played was in GW2, which basically had you jumping around your opponents like you were on cocaine and I found the mobility exciting. Compared to being all over the place, just running up and hitting a dude looked kind of one note. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and it could just be that I've only seen low level gameplay. Anyone know if there are any stalker vids that show off a range of abilities?
  3. Acrowe

Acrowe New Cupcake

Keep in mind that youtube videos you see, and even demos you may have played at venues are dumbed down. You aren't max level, or even given the ability to see high-end abilities, and normally those are the ones that count. Most video's I've seen are someone standing still, showing you the animation, not accurately weaving abilities in and out to maximize the effectiveness. PLUS, let's be real... beta. Don't worry, flashy stuff comes later. Right now we're just foaming from the mouth because of the things we imagine from the possibilities of what we've heard.
    Cottonspore likes this.
  4. Cottonspore

That's what I'm hoping is going on, yeah. Love the quick fighter types, and I really want to get excited for stalker. I think the problem is probably less with the class and more with the fact that esper and spellslinger look so flashy and exciting right off the bat compared to the more subdued gameplay of early level melee classes. I'm sure you're right and the good stuff is later on.
  5. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

I too played a WoW rogue from late Vanilla to now, so I'll voice some thought too.

I definitely echo your sentiments regarding perma stealth. It's hardly a big problem to people.

Personally, I LOVE the sounds. WoW Rogue lost it's flavour (or never had it), and I think audible sounds and distinct animations are a breathe of fresh air. Although I see your concerns, it's pretty big. But I wouldn't want it to become unnoticeable in the midst of raiding combat (shadow blades), and if that was the case I'd go for overt instead of covert!

I am 100% with you on the animation. I think a cash shop with optional variations in colour/size/sound/animation would be so good. I seriously would pay a lot of money to pick and choose whatever I'm in the mood for.
  6. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

you're in luck - they've stated that they have perma-stealth in instead of just a timed stealth.
  7. Sephel

Sephel Not a Cupcake

I must have missed it. Where do you read this?
  8. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

in the AMAA that they did a couple months ago. will find it for you.

found it:
    CRB_Hugh: I just wanted to chime in about comments we have made in the past about stealth... We have received a lot of player feedback on this topic, and going into beta the Stalker WILL have permanent stealth.
    It may change in beta, but for now stealth is not limited by any resource (you will still get broken out of stealth when dealing or taking damage).
    Also, we have given the Stalker the ability to activate stealth while in combat to give them “Partial Stealth” and access to their “from stealth” ability perks. This can only be used every 25 seconds but being able to use those stealth perks (such as disarm, bonus damage, etc) can be the difference maker in longer fights.

from the following thread: post 16:
    http://www.wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/combat-pvp-reddit-amaa-on-wednesday.1604/
    Sephel likes this.
  9. ShadowNugget

ShadowNugget Cupcake

10. Cottonspore

Huh. So it really is "run up and hit a guy 3 times" or "run up while invisible and hit a guy 3 times."

Edit - well, there's an option to expend some kind of resource and dash forward before you hit a guy. That's alright. I hope there's more of that later on.
  11. bigbadmojo

bigbadmojo New Cupcake

All of the Stalkers cool abilities are in the patch notes. A variety of missiles plus some sort of boomerang razor disk, and mines. The claws are just the beginning.
  12. Sephel

Sephel Not a Cupcake

Thanks for finding that for me Kata! I really hope this stays so Stalkers can remain very distinct from Warriors.

What are you expecting from a class called "Stalker"? The role is to deal lots of damage while being elusive, and there is no indication anywhere that it will take 3 hits to kill every player. I highly doubt it will be as you described.

I wish they'd at least give Quick Strike, Tactical Strike, and Staggering Strike different animations.
  13. Cottonspore

Now that sounds cool. Looking forward to seeing some of those.
    Something more interesting than 3 abilities that are all the same thing? Apparently there will be, and I have faith in that, but current gameplay doesn't look super exciting. But even something like "dash to the side while holding out your claws, dealing damage to up to 3 enemies in a line" would be appreciated.
  14. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

I.. .... I can't argue with you- you're entirely right as rogues tended to be those little <expletive> that ran around like a hyped up druggy. That and mesmers....

Though on topic-

More or less sums it up. When it comes down to it you're trying to compare a level 10 to a level 60 and how the play. If you remember back when you FIRST LEVELED your rogue in wow from level 8-19 (if you were in vanilla I feel sorry for your pain you suffered) it was rather brutal and not that fun or interesting.
  15. Sephel

Sephel Not a Cupcake

Ah I see, I must have misunderstood what he was saying. I definitely think the abilities need to be different as well. Right now as some have mentioned, the gameplay doesn't look very exciting. I would really like more than just running in circles around someone spamming Sinister Strike Quick Strike, Tactical Strike, and Staggering Strike.

I had a blast playing vanilla at those levels as a Rogue! Even though it took me NINETEENS DAYS OF PLAY TIME to get to level 60, it was my first MMO (and I was 14 years old at the time), so naturally I just enjoyed every moment regardless of how bleak.
    Cottonspore likes this.
  16. Cottonspore

Yeah, it's looking more and more like that! It's annoying that the really engaging abilities locked away behind who knows how many levels, but on the other hand at least it gives you something to look forward to unlocking. Unlike GW2. That system was really a double-edged sword. I wasn't going to have a stalker at all, but I think I might make an alt after all.

Definitely! I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with you on the importance of running up and hitting dudes. That'd be pretty silly, after all. It just seems so basic, it's odd that there is more than 1 ability dedicated to it. A lot of what we can see so far of the stalker almost looks like constant autoattacking due to the similar animations. I am with you that we need different animations to make those skills more interesting at least.
  17. Skruggs

Skruggs New Cupcake

I am more concerned about how the Stalker will be used as a tank!
    I would love to tank as a stalker, but until now all the skills you can find are far away of being useful while tanking.
    Hope there will be some more nice tanking abilities.
  18. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

Im not sure why you think this is an issue, spells in every MMO always have the same animation regardless of what you have equipped for asset minimisation and pvp balance concerns.

They have positional bonuses so they're likely going to get a shadow step/dance move. They also use some gadgets.
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

A few things that you need to keep in mind:

1. The size is huge, but mayby it's needed since the game is alot of action/moving oriënted reducing the size means it's far harder to hit moving target (in PvP that can become a huge problem if you downsize it alot).

2. Sound....well that's kinda personal....i don't mind it, and i ussually play with music on anyway :p

3. Each class has 60 different weapon models, and those weapon models use different slash/claw animations and colours! And ofcourse the size of the weapons are different (but not the hit cone). And this has been confirmed!!!

4. As for the Perma-stealth, Kataryna made excellent remarks to that.
    Sephel likes this.
  20. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

With the first instance that we know of being level 17-20ish (available at 17 tuned for 20 I think it was?) you'll probably see tanking abilities start to creep in towards that whereas press demos and stuff have only been the first few (7ish?) levels (as far as I can remember).