1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Stalker Stealth

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Unseen, Apr 13, 2013.

?

Will Stalker have unlimited stealth later on?

1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  1. Unseen

Unseen New Cupcake

I personally see stealth being permanent as something that can easily be balanced. People keep saying on here, "the timer gives more strategy." Although with how slow you move you usually can't get close to them without them either seeing you as you go into stealth, or by the time you get to them you're out of stealth before you even get your attack off.

Now if they did want to go the route of a timer on stealth, then the run speed should be just like normal speed. That way, you can get to the target within that time span. Or they can lengthen the timer to something reasonable enough to actually reach a target without the player seeing you go into stealth.

Yes there's sprint and other abilities to help out with that, but the cool-downs usually are very long and if you were to finish off someone, you then have to wait another (X amount of minutes) to actually have stealth be useful again.
  2. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

I used to play Witch Elf in Warhammer Online, and their stealth drained resource points for every second it was active and if I remember correctly you could stay stealthed for a maximum of 20 seconds if you had a full resource bar, while the cooldown was 30 seconds. It worked very well, imho, wouldn't mind if Stalkers stealth worked similar to that.
  3. agien

agien Cupcake

Perma Stealth is A. OK in my book. As many have said stealth gives an opener and that is it. So long as Stalker does not have insane CC and damage at the same time (which they will not). A class not relying on openers for damage has plenty of advantages over a stealthy.

My problem with the stealth we are seeing at the moment is how slow you move in it. Somebody can just walk in a straight line and you will never catch them. I VERY much hope they allow us to spec into moving faster.

Also crossing my fingers the last Dominion race can be stalkers. Midget stalkers please please please! (sorry that was off topic)
  4. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

From this thread

Stalker Skill Breakdown:

Quick Strike
    (Tier 1)
    Range 5m
    Instant
    Strike 3 targets up to 3 times dealing (80% Weapon DPS) + (80% Dexterity) damage to the target with each hit.
    If striking from behind: Increases the damage of your next Quick Thrust within 3 seconds by (50% Weapon DPS) + (50% Dexterity)

Stealth (Tier 1)
    Range: 0m
    Cast: Normal
    Instant
    Activates Stealth. Drains 5 Suit Power per second.

Tactical Strike (Tier 1)
    Range: 5m
    Cost: 100 Actuator
    Instant
    Deals (330% Weapon DPS) + (330% Dexterity) damage to a maximum of 3 targets in front of you.
    If striking from behind, deals (430% Weapon dmg) + (430 Dexterity dmg).

Staggering Strike (Tier 1)
    Range: 5m
    Instant
    Cooldown: 15s
    Puncture your target 4 times dealing (125% Weapon DPS) + (125% Technology) damage and stuns the target for 3.5 seconds.

Concealed Slash (Tier 1)
    Cost: 15 Resource3
    Instant
    Deals (540% Weapon DPS) +(530% Technology) + (??? Dexterity) damage to your target.
    Must be used from Stealth.

Ambush style opener - check
    Kidney shot style stun - check
    Positional backstab style damage bonuses - check
    30% damage stat buff (Raging slash - not shown in list) - check

The numbers are not correct as this is prior to the shift over to 'assault power' we've seen from the latest patch notes. While we don't know how they translate to combat (ie do they make a target go pop instantly or simply take 30% of the health in an typical opening combo) it certainly has the hallmarks of a 'stealth opener/high dps' class. Percentage scaling buffs are also typically easy to get the best out of (that is of course if raging slash is still in the game/operates the same way).
    Not saying you're right or wrong, just that I'd be careful making statements like that when we know so little, especially given the skill templates Stalkers have which seems counter to your statement.
  5. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

See knowing that right there is what makes it seem to me that perma-stealth is ok, because you can't just run at >= top speed to gank someone all in stealth. The way I see it, a stalker runs visible till he gets close to his target and then stealths for the gank. Since from the patch notes that were released it was noted that sprint and dash(tbh I don't know how good they are, not beta-ing) do not break stealth. Sprint is somewhat self explanatory, don't know about the cooldown or duration, and dash I think is their version of rolling? But, like I said, if you slow way down it causes you to work with your team to set up ganks and gankpoints and forces a stalker to actually pick his battles.

I remember rogue, WOW, and Op, TOR, just running up to people regardless of what was going on and nuke them dead in 7 seconds(Op so easily with their hidden strike). Then just re-stealthing and running at top speed towards another one. Personally, that was kind of boring, ganking like that lost it's luster for me somewhat fast.
  6. agien

agien Cupcake

My statement about Stalkers not having crazy damage and crazy amounts of CC stem more so from the fact we as players are rather limited on how many abilities we can have at any given time.

1 stun is not going to keep an enemy from fighting back. I would say 2 isn't enough and you still need to put damage moves on your 7 slots, you may want damage buffing moves on your bar, you prob want some kind of defensive CD in case things go wrong.

So limited I kind of am disappointed they brought us down to 7 choices in the name of people who cant use key binds well. I hear they are trying to find out if maybe they can bring it back up by asking people how many key binds they are comfy with though.

This is off topic for a moment.
    1 2 3 4 5 are easy to reach for anybody qerfcxz again all easy to reach add 2 out of the 3 modifiers as some people tend to not like using one or an other. you have 12 x3 = 36 keybinds with out even reaching.
  7. Unseen

Unseen New Cupcake

I agree on your statement, even if they added 2 more I would still say Stalker's should have infinite stealth (until hit, hitting, or whatever else).

Although I can say I feel having "less" buttons do cater to the casuals a bit more; BUT it will make it easier to balance in my opinion with less skills to choose from. If each casual can manage their buttons better with less, congrats; we'll have a better experience in PvP and PvE HOPEFULLY!

Who knows, I'm sure a BUNCH will change throughout closed beta, and open beta; and we'll all have our say.
  8. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

I think it will be permanent just because it has a 20 second cooldown.... seems rather extreme for a 5-20 second use...
  9. Unseen

Unseen New Cupcake

Well, it's almost 50-50 that's great. And yeah, if it is a 20 second cooldown; I would hope it's infinite -- that is quite a long cool down for something you could only use situationally if it was the other way around.
  10. SituationSoap

SituationSoap Cupcake-About-Town

The 7 different abilities is probably partly for convenience and partly for balance. It means you're making interesting trade offs in how you build your character. The key is to make sure that there's still enough to do, and lots of different choices to make; GW2 got boring very quickly running around with what was basically 3 attacks for a given weapon.
    Críostóir likes this.
  11. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Guys, read the stealth thing. It's limited right now.

5 energy from suit for every second. Depending on how energy for rogues work, that might be a MASSIVE amount of time, or it might be only 30 seconds worth of stealth.
  12. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

I think permanent stealth classes are important to BG pvp from a strategy point of view. That being said I would recommend not front loading all of their damage to be from stealth the way many games have done. Disarm sounds great, but I think having your biggest attack be from stealth is a mistake. Being able to stealth should be a big enough advantage without having the ability to basically kill someone inside a stunlock.
    Veckna likes this.
  13. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

I believe in a permanent stealth class, but as long as it does have flaws. For instance: A stalker approaches a player from behind who has no idea he's there. As the stalker approaches, the player turns around, and begins to walk in the stalker's general direction still unawares. The stalker is now in the players line of sight though making his digital camoflage more noticable now that he is no longer behind his intended target. If he stays in this line of sight too long, or is damaged by AOEs his charade will fail, and bring him out of stealth.

This kind of stealth system works for me, and hey if they can incorporate such things in the game like shadow usage for better stealth, dampening fields (Character, and AI controlled) that make such tech inoperable, and other means of bettering, or detecting stealth, then I am all aboard the train for infinite cloak.
  14. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

The problem with permanent stealth is it makes BG pvp way to easy and it is op in arena, in my opinion. The permanent stealth also, generally, implies that the class' damage is all front loaded and can kill in the opener/stunlock. To me, giving stealth a time frame to use it in means that they will have more out of stealth viability.
  15. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

That's an older build as I mentioned in my post - the devs have said that the stalker currently has permanent stealth. Whether it remains so will depend on the feedback they get no doubt.
  16. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

No one pays attention to me :(

17. agien

agien Cupcake

If they were to put stealth back on a time limit I think they would need to make it so stalker can move at like 150 or 200% movement speed. Atm as I said above a stalker would prob waist its stealth a lot because of how slow they move in it.

From what I have heard the stealth is perma atm but there is no real vanish. The vanish only brings your visibility down to 50% so I do not really see any issues.

Where is all this stun lock stuff coming from? I have only noticed mention of 1 stun ability for stalker. 1 stun is not enough to 100 to 0 somebody unless they are just total <REDACTED>.

And at the moment each class only gets use of 7 abilities really limiting the utilities a class can pick from. If a stalker goes pure upfront damage with no D at all they are going to be in a bad spot the moment the burst is over. I just do not think it will work the way people are trying to make it sound.
  18. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

There are more than 7 abilities on the hotbar. There are 7 class abilities, and approximately 11 overall currently. Also, supposedly every class can be tailored to be heavy on crowd control abilities.
  19. agien

agien Cupcake

If you are doing heavy CC you are not going to have high DPS with only 7 class abilities though... People are making it sound like you can have a crazy amount of cc and damage at the same time and I just do not think it will be so
  20. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Only need one ability for DPS, HEARTSEEKER!
    Sol likes this.