1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Stalker Tanking, Not Taking Hits So You Don't Have To!

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Bellaby, Mar 12, 2013.

1. JCwildthing

JCwildthing Cupcake

I can't remember exactly where it or when I saw this but I am pretty sure that carbine has stated there will be a limited ability to perform certain actions like dodging and rolling. I think some have referred to it as stamina (probably stemming from Gaffney's AC days).
  2. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

It's been shown in every gameplay video they've shown thus far.
  3. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

I'm so glad so many of you are contributing!

I am almost entirely certain dodging will be limited in some way, whether by cooldown or energy I'm not sure. Infinite dodging would ruin PvP :p
  4. Yermoh

Yermoh Cupcake

i do believe in this, i tank-dodge in Tera with my warrior, and i keep the aggro and all... But, the bad thing is... i even dodge the heals :p
    Bellaby likes this.
  5. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

That actually sort of sounds badass. Like something Chuck Norris would do in WoW.

And dodging is limited, yeah. This doesn't mean of course there might not be systems in place that allow you to build your character to have faster dodge energy regeneration.
    Bellaby likes this.
  6. HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger Cupcake

Dodging in Tera is limited as well, but the Warriors in Tera at end-content has to block more than dodging, it's very gimmicky and a ton of Warrior-tanks agree that it is more gimmicky than it could be. It is however a very refreshing way to play since you fight with 2 badass swords with attacks that makes your jaw drop. (Warriors in Tera are a light-armored class however, despite the name).

As opposed to the heavy-armored Lancer who can move around and block massive amounts of damage (due to better armor-class and shield), Warrior Tanking amongst players in Tera is most of the time taken by players of all ranges who has top-end gear (mostly B.I.S), mostly because they want to be able to run through the Dungeon ASAP and Warriors happen to generate the most threat in a really tiny window; on top of the healers being strong to the point where doing it all really fast is not an issue if the Warrior skips a few blocks to maintain the aggro as much as possible due to the steamrolling made by the others DPSing. (But not dodges, at max you might use 6 or 7 of them during a 10 minute fight of said group)
  7. Bellaby

That'd be cool, if Dexterity decreased the charge time by a small amount per point or something! Great thinking!
  8. Yermoh

Yermoh Cupcake

There are plenty ways to dodge-tank with the warrior buddy, not just block!
    Basic dodge, Cross parry (Block), Backstab (teleports you behind the foe), Death from above (INMUNE while casting), and Smoke flanker (Leave a shadow clone that tank the foe for a while).
    Just need to use them wisely and you can move freely and keeping the aggro!

I think stalkers could have many skills that could work this way, i dont see why not.
    its skill based right?
  9. Bellaby

They totally need to give us the ability to phase in and out of like a parallel universe or something! A sci-fi genre really un-limits possibilities :inlove:
    Yermoh likes this.
  10. HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger Cupcake

If you use the teleport you'll get flamed, considering you're a bad tank if you -ever- turn the boss against the direction that the party is facing.

And it's a stupid gimmick that Tera-Warriors has to put in three-times the effort to be just as effective as a Lancer. Some might enjoy it, but once they go for Lancer they'll question the design-choices.

If you don't block more than you dodge, people WILL complain and people WILL think you're a horrid tank. Any why use any of the abilities that resets your threat? people will surely fire their cannons at you.
  11. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

That just depends on the boss i.e. does it have frontal aoe or cleave style mechanics (if it does are they on a cooldown/predictable timer etc). Had a fair few bosses where running through them to avoid something was a perfectle viable strat to avoid an attack (then run through again once they finish the attack and turn to face you).
    Yermoh likes this.
  12. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I did some looking, and I can't find a video that shows dodging taking energy. I also noticed a lot of videos showing people walking out of telegraphs.

Another thing I noticed is that monsters ,outside of a few exceptions, monsters don't re aim their attacks when you dodge them. That would make it easier to be a dodge tank because you could dodge into your group without the attack following you. Except when it is one of the following attacks, then you want to lean them into some kind of trap.
  13. HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger Cupcake

If you missed what we are talking about, we are talking about T-E-R-A.

You can't run through bosses or mobs in Tera, so don't get out of context.
  14. Veckna

My bad - the guy you quoted mentioned the stalker in Wildstar (in case you didn't see that part of the post you quoted) so I thought you meant generally. No need to get on the high horse about it :D
  15. JCwildthing

JCwildthing Cupcake

True, but OP was referring to Stalker, so...
  16. HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger Cupcake

If it's Stalker, I'd say that tanking in WildStar can be done in any way shape or form, but it would be a stretch if you could walk through bosses somewhat. HUGE Bosses that has a huge gap between their feets I'd be okay with, but this would open up opportunities of exploiting where you'd just walk through the boss (and stand at the very edge of where the telegraph starts).

I'd not find very much enjoyment from that really, to just walk through something and rince and repeat that.
    Bellaby likes this.
  17. Bellaby

Yeah seems pretty cheap, I'd rather roll back and then charge back in after the attack! Or maybe jump/climb over the boss :p
  18. HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger Cupcake

Oh wow, climbing bosses sounds badass.

But for what we've seen, I think the engine isn't that simple to even allow that.

But my god would that be awesome, would make me feel like I'm playing Dragon's Dogma or something.
  19. Veckna

Might want to check out the latest Deradune gameplay vid on the official site then. Look closely around 4:36 and you can see the guy stood inside Metal Maw's leg hacking away, so similar to WoW etc bosses would not appear to block movement (ie AoC style).
  20. Bellaby

Yeah I suppose the games where hit boxes are solid objects, like TERA, have some pretty serious issues as a direct result, such as the large groups of tiny mobs preventing you from moving away from a Boss' attack.