1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Tagging Mobs: First Come First Server, or Does Everyone Get A Piece of the Action?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Zapp Brannigan, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

Long thread title and I apologise if this has already been asked/answered.

Does anyone know the system of mob tagging that Wildstar will be using? I've experienced two methods:

First-come-first-serve (closed tagging), where the first person to tag the mob 'owns' it; if someone else were to attack the mob after the first person had tagged it, they wouldn't be entitled to any of the experience, loot or quest credit. This is the model used in WoW/SW:TOR.

Conversely, in GW2, everyone who hits a mob twice(?) gets the same amount(?) of experience/loot/quest credit (open tagging), so it really doesn't matter how many people are doing a quest at once in terms of there being enough mobs to go around.

Does anyone know which system WildStar will be using (if not a different one altogether?). And, to facilitate discussion, what kind of system do you prefer?

Edit: Thanks Yakzan for the proper terms.

Edit2: I liked this thought from Kalmander:

2. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I am pretty sure that mob-tagging is a thing of the past and it will not be a feature that is present in Wildstar. It just creates an unnecessary hassle for players and has long outlived its usefulness. I am pretty sure that Carbine is going with the GW2 system, or at least something really close to it.
    Mudfin likes this.
  3. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Good question, I have no idea. But I really, really hope it is the 2nd kind. The one in GW2, or DCUO. It foments a good, helpful community. We should not have to "fight" for mobs when we are on the same faction, we should actually help others when they are surrounded by mobs, and everyone gets credit for it.

Contention within the same faction should really be reduced as much as possible (in mobs, loot, resources, etc. That's what we have the other faction for!). GW2 did a pretty good job of it, and I hope Carbine takes a similar approach.
  4. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

I believe the more common terms, at least to me, are open tagging and closed tagging. Open tagging is what I'm seeing happening in Wildstar though I have no idea whether it is. To me, it makes more sense for the kind of game it is. In fact, the fact that WoW hasn't adopted open tagging baffles me to no end because its current content design and target audience conflicts with the closed tagging design, at least from how I see it.

That said, I have nothing against either design. Closed tagging has its purpose for the games suited for it. Likewise with open tagging and I believe Wildstar would benefit from using open tagging rather than closed.
  5. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I would love open tagging. It makes folks go out of the way to help others because they get a benefit out of it.

It really was the best idea from gw2.
    Malorak, Mudfin and Kalmander like this.
  6. Sideros

Sideros New Cupcake

I'm against open tagging for the majority of mobs. Only time I'd be for open tagging is if it applies to public quests. Besides, closed-tagging allows us to see what kind of person that player is early on when they are stealing or camping mobs. I'd prefer to find out about that person's character then rather than later when I'm running dungeons or after inviting him to my guild. Same idea with nodes- if you tag one, its yours.
    CRB_Gortok, Mizpah and Lethality like this.
  7. Krakuun

Krakuun Cupcake

As much as it can be frustrating to have a mob "ninja'd" in a closed tagging system, it does give a bit more edge to the game and motivate you to be on the ball. And as was mentioned previously, it does distinguish the character of other players. Frustrating 30% of the time, more fun 70% of the time (carefully researched statistics.. *cough*).
  8. LJJ1991

LJJ1991 New Cupcake

From what I've seen in videos, it looks to be open tagging. In TotalBiscuit's preview of WildStar at PAX East 2013, you see the developer attacking and killing the same mob as another player, after the other player had already started attacking it, yet the developer still received loot and experience. This is a good thing, in my opinion. Closed tagging is something that causes hostility between players and there really isn't any purpose to it other than slowing down quest-completion.
    Shadix likes this.
  9. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

I think it should be a little of both. I think the person who "taps" a mob should get 100% xp. etc .. and if a second person is helping before the mobs is almost dead he can get 100% too, but .. well I just hope there isn't an asston of zerging in wildstar .. open tagging isnt a direct factor in zerging, exactly .. but that is the only portion of the discussion I am leary of. Otherwise I agree it should be heavily open tagging oriented.
  10. Kalmander

I would like to hear your reasoning why you would consider closed tagging a fun mechanic 70% of the time. Not attacking your point of view, just curious why you would think close tagging can be more fun. On the competitive side? I would agree against the other faction, but not within the same faction (we are allies after all).

I just can't see how close tagging could be more fun, or community building. You get people fighting for quest mobs "Hey, I still have 10 tigers to kill, go somewhere else!!". If it is like WoW, then it would be even worse, if someone helps kill a mob you tagged, you get even less experience, so it's actually viewed negatively "Hey! your stealing my experience!". And the worse part, is that you see a dude getting attacked by 3 mobs, and later get killed, and then insults you because you did not help him out... That last one is a classic...

So I really do not see any advantage to close tagging. I would not mind of the first person to tag it gets 100% xp and loot, and any other person that helps kill it gets less (50% for example, or % of damage done). It's still something and promotes helping your faction.
  11. Sideros

Sideros New Cupcake

I wouldn't mind seeing an implementation of both. A percentage of XP for helping somebody kill a mob they tagged first and still get quest-related credit for the kill but no loot is dropped for you and body cannot be harvested/skinned (if there is such an action).

For those advocating for complete open tagging- it can be as easily abused as closed.
  12. Zapp Brannigan

I can see both sides of the argument, honestly.

Perhaps there could be some kind of middle ground, where tagging a mob will grant full experience and loot to the attacker, whereas contributing to a kill that someone else has started grants quest credit/quest items and a smaller amount of exp?

edit: ninja'd.
  13. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I concur! I see no reason to hate someone for making things easy for me!
  14. Kalmander

I would be fine with something like this. As long as it promotes cooperation in your faction, instead of hampering it, I'm all for it.
  15. Krakuun

Krakuun Cupcake

Honestly, I don't mind either system, but wanted to give a shout out as it were, for closed tagging. For me the fun part is in the competition, which isn't community building, but not all activities need to be community building. Either way will work, with open tagging being generally friendlier. The appeal of the closed tagging is more competitive and won't appeal to everyone. It's one of those small things that gives the game a bit more edge, which a lot of games have forsaken (maybe with good reason).
  16. Kalmander

Hey, understood, and it makes sense from a competitive point of view. Maybe have both systems? open for regular mobs, quest mobs, etc. Closed for rare spawns (sorry dude! I tagged it first!), some world bosses (to avoid them being from being zerged), some special resource nodes (Wooo!! a rich laminum node!! all mine!). I would not mind a little competition, but not if it affects general play and not all the time I guess.
  17. Zapp Brannigan

^That sounds like a good compromise.
  18. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I know in Totalbisquit's video I think I saw open tagging (can't be sure though they attacked at roughly the same time). But in other PAX videos I know I saw people attack the same mob another person had started attacking a few seconds before and they got nothing, I don't know what to think.
  19. Krakuun

Krakuun Cupcake

Sounds like an interesting idea. I think given the overall aim of the game to be cooperative, you're probably right on a design that tries not to affect general play.
  20. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

I think that a closed tagging system is required to have contested dungeon/raid content that can actually be challenging and reward competition. Obviously most content wont be contested but I'm holding out hope they will give us a reason to group out in the world, even at max level. Having good contested mobs is a great catalyst for open world pvp as well.