1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Tagging Mobs: First Come First Server, or Does Everyone Get A Piece of the Action?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Zapp Brannigan, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Clickbeast

Clickbeast Cupcake

I don't think there will be a tagging system because of how the combat works. It doesn't make sense to do tagging since the combat is not "auto lock, auto attack". It would be hard for a player to know what's tagged and what's not. The entire process would be confusing and frustrating for new players with this combat system...
  2. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Shared mobs is really the only way to move forward. I think everyone is tired of having to wait for respawns. I have actually waited until like 2 AM server time in order to play in some games just because populations were out of hand and questing took too long.

I mean, even WoW has been experimenting with shared mobs as of their last patch, IT'S THE FUTURE!
    Blegvad, Liris, Archales and 2 others like this.
  3. Sideros

Sideros New Cupcake

My biggest concern with open tagging is it really removes the incentive to group with others to share kills and objectives together if there aren't enough mobs to go around in a specific area. Some of my greatest memories in MMOs were from grouping with others initially to help kill and tag the same mobs which would led to some pretty epic party questing adventures that lasted for hours. With open tagging, what's the point of grouping? You could solo the entire thing.
  4. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

There are other ways to incentivize grouping, like bonus xp or bonus gold or heck chance for bonus loot.
  5. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I'd only support open tagging of named NPC type quest objectives, not general open-world mob open tagging. And definitely no shared resource nodes!

WoW has been doing it since Wrath I believe... for key named NPCs that might be quest targets. I think that's the right compromise if we have to share tagging with non-group members at all!
  6. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I sound like a curmudgeon a lot of times when it comes to newer mechanics. But, outside of World Bosses, I think closed tagging is a thing of the past and needs to stay that way. Closed tagging only gives you a better opportunity to be a d-bag in the solo world of MMOs today.
    Blegvad likes this.
  7. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

its nice in a sense... but everyone tags everyone gets also lets leachers tag and run making someone else do the work and you get the xp from it.. I would very much love shared tags if I never saw someone tag and wait while i took out a group of mobs solo and he said thanks/loot/run off. or follow me and tag everything repeat. if a shared tagging is in the game I hope each person has to contibute a certain % of dmg before they can benefit from the spoils
  8. Archales

Archales Cupcake

Yes, but with their last patch all new rare mobs and some world bosses are shared as well.
  9. Bellaby

Well, that's not really a common occurrence, and it doesn't really hurt anybody, aside from in WoW the mob takes a few more seconds to kill, but really, it's a victimless crime, and an annoyance at the worst.
    Now, people sniping a mob right before someone else hits it, and then that person getting aggro and having to kill it with no reward, THAT hurts.

The percentage thing sounds nice on paper, but basically comes back to someone possibly not getting anything. What if I'm a healer, so I don't do a lot of damage in single hits, I tag a mob, but some pew pew DPS comes up and steamrolls it. I did like 5% maybe, and he did 95%, so he gets all the reward...

TL;DR = Shared tagging is the lesser of the evils, as having individual loot tables means that even if someone tags the mob and doesn't help, the player fighting it doesn't actually lose anything.
    Veckna, Blegvad, moneda and 1 other person like this.
  10. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

This doesn't make sense. You don't have to be in a party to "group up" to fight mobs - not in open tagging. All I've seen closed tagging systems do is incentivize a "me first" attitude. With open tagging, there's no reason to not help someone else out.

[edit] If an MMO wants to create incentive for grouping, then they should get rid of the idiotic split-XP system, where the more people you have in your group, the less xp you get per individual. TERA was the worst culprit I've seen of this, and it made fighting BAMs while leveling almost pointless unless you went at them solo.
    Mudfin likes this.
  11. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Open tagging where everyone gets credit. Mob stealing is really lame, especially if you're suppose to be on the side of the other players fighting. You're not fighting for your character's specific needs, you're fighting for your faction's conquest of Nexus. Great way to destroy teamwork, and help in general, is having a closed tagged system.

GW2 was nice for this and I didn't experience anyone calling me names until the daily dodger quest, where some folks called me one-liners because I killed their dodging monster haha. I seriously had no idea, until a couple times later, what was pissing them off.

So easy for people to turn into d-bags online, let us at least keep this option out of it :cool:
    Mudfin likes this.
  12. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Since there are so many differently shaped AOE's in Wildstar's spell arsenal, I think closed tagging would be counter purpouse, because it would be too easy for one person to either accidentally or on purpouse tag every mob in an encounter, rendering that encounter worthless to anyone else who may want to join....

...Which in turn would mean most Soldiers would find themselves running their hold area quests alone, without any help from random people passing by, because it would too easily be "worthless" to them...
  13. Bellaby

The worst thing to experience in a MULTIPLAYER game, is to realize that you dislike running into players that are on your side!

When you start to see your allies as competition, then the game ceases to be cooperative.
    Liris, Mudfin, moneda and 3 others like this.
  14. Eluldor

Please don't go this way. External rewards for grouping is not really the route to take. You should group because you like the people you're playing with, not having it a requirement - because a group gets better exp and loot. If you're in a group, you'll still go through mobs faster and have some company - that should be enough.

I can imagine the outcries at all these bonuses being implemented into a game.
    Bellaby likes this.
  15. Bellaby

Some people (actually according to Carbine, MOST people) like to level alone in MMOs, and being strongarmed into grouping will just breed disdain for the game.
    In addition, Carbine has said that levelling in a group is a whole different path that will be viable in the game, seperate from PvP, dungeons, and solo questing! So you can expect that to mean it'll have its own rewards that are appropriate for grouping, whereas solo gameplay will net you gear ideal for solo gameplay. What this probably means is that gear you get while in a group will tend to carry the "support stats"(ie, Wisdom and Tech) whereas the Solo would carry more of the surviveability stats.(Just a guess)

Also, it has been stated that there will be a system in place to allow players to cross over into those other settings with minimal annoyance (such as PvP equivalent stats based on your PvE stats while in a battleground)

Sorry I don't have links, I simply don't remember the specific videos they came from! I'm sure Innocent will come along and know exactly where they're from : P
  16. Dtrain

Dtrain Cupcake

Open tagging sounds great, but you lose the excitement of snatching your friend's mob *evillaugh* :roflamo:
  17. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Well it isn’t enough as GW2 proved; unlike CoHV which had nice bonuses for grouping. I never had a problem finding/starting a group when I wished in CoHV, for any content. When dynamic zone events happened people would come running, and multiple groups would form up, and sometimes your group would go on and do regular content within the zone. I never had or saw this happen in GW2.

Yeah you should have seen all the threads in the CoHV forum, decrying group bonuses every time the Devs improved group bonuses. NOT
    Mudfin likes this.
  18. Eluldor

Is your response primarily based on a game that is shut down? Sorta bad comparison (not going into why the game was shut down). From my short time in COH, the audience was one of the most mature. The gameplay and upgrade system were also different than the "norm".

I play GW2 on Tarnished Coast and people group up a decent amount for groups. Sometimes I reject the invites though. Any bonuses for grouping up in this game are minimal.
  19. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Well I’m going to. CoHV was active from April 2004 until Nov 2012; that’s 8 years and 8 months. And when I say active I mean active. CoHV Devs were putting out regular content right up till they got the notice to shutdown. Every indication was that the Hybrid Subcription system had made it even more profitable. It was closed by NCSoft beancounters, to show the NCSoft shareholders that they were doing something about the loss in their share value that year, despite CoHV actually showing a profit.

Now if had used Tabla Rasa, or Auto Assault as my example, then there might have been a point to your comment.

The gameplay was not different from the “norm”, unless you had not played anything else but WoW. It had a ten hotkey LAS where you chose from a list of learned abilities, which you gained as you leveled, just like all the other MMOs prior to WoW. It had a Tank/Healer/DPS, but you did not need the Tank and Healer. Your Support and CC classes could fill these needs. It had open world content, missions, and raids (Hells they even tried to have PvP.). It had guilds and pugs. It also had a steep learning curve just like all the other MMOs prior to WoW.

A decent amount; that is a totally arbitrary quantifier, you could have at least used a percentile on your guestimation.
    Mudfin likes this.
  20. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

True about the Healer doing less dmg and not getting credit. I do support the shared system VS tagged so you gotta find other mobs while someone else nukes the area leaving you waiting till they are done. I'd rather have the leachers and still get my stuff done VS the KSers who leave you even more frustrated.

Shared xp = Get all your stuff done regardless of who is around and work together creating social fun and faster xp with only drawback of the very select few who tag your group run to another tag theirs and run to another and tag to collect 3 other peoples kills. Either way those other 3 get what they want.

Non shared = Who ever tags first gets everything almost forcing you to rush your quests to get things done so you Can get things done eventually leaving others to wait on respawns creating stress and either a negative social gaming experience or no social.

so your right.. Shared Wins!!! Just think of the people who get a hit or 2 on your mobs as an extra attack and keep on going :)