1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Tanking in Wildstar!

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Jenk1ns, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

I would assume it would use ur stamina bar (sprint/dodge bar for other classes) ....
    ruff_ethereal and Jenk1ns like this.
  2. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

I am always leery of evasion-tanks like RIFT riftstalker and how stalker seems to be advertised. They are very difficult to keep alive based on the spikes between taking hits (usually not a lot of mitigated) and completely avoids hits. HoTs are almost wasted on those sort of tanks limiting your effect healing pool.

I am not saying they do not work, just require more finese and some understanding groups/raids and healers experienced with that sort of tank.

For me, I will be tanking in a big beefy warrior or I will look at the unrevealed classes to see what they have to offer.
    Sonntam likes this.
  3. Jenk1ns

Jenk1ns New Cupcake

Also, Stalkers don't wear have armor which could be a big factor in defense too. UNLESS, they game makes the different armor types share the same armor stats.
  4. Cartographer

Cartographer Cupcake-About-Town

Isn't the stalker defensive stat tech? So their defence could be construed to be much more "active", holograms, shields, health-regen on demand etc. rather than passively via evasion or whatnot.
    ruff_ethereal, Sonntam and Genoshock like this.
  5. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

I heard somewhere a support stalker can use heavy armor ....
  6. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

it is they are light Armor standard and go up to medium in support role. Warrior is the only heavy revealed thus far
  7. Jenk1ns

Jenk1ns New Cupcake

I doubt that they'll only put one class in the game than can wear heavy armor.
  8. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

The medic should be able to use heavy armor. And the engineer will probably be the last tank class with some type of mech function.
    Sonntam and Jenk1ns like this.
  9. Ennui

Ennui Cupcake

i am gonna be either an aurin stalker tank, or a mechari stalker tank. a robot wearing medium armor? haha. yes please.
  10. Jenk1ns

Jenk1ns New Cupcake

Why stalker? Just wondering.
  11. Ennui

Ennui Cupcake

Because warrior is so generic. And I like tanking. Don't get me wrong, eventually I'll level a warrior tank as well. Pretty much I will be levelling everything as either a tank or a healer so I know how to do those roles. Cause DPS is easy.
  12. Jenk1ns

Jenk1ns New Cupcake

Yeah I get you. I just feel like you can't go wrong when picking a warrior when it comes to tanking. If they reveal a third class that can tank I'll probably go with that.
  13. Shonk

Shonk New Cupcake

I too love tanking and so far the available options are pretty straight forward. I'm very happy that Wildstar has the holy trinity because when I play in a group I want to know what my responsibilities are.
    Jenk1ns likes this.
  14. Jenk1ns

Jenk1ns New Cupcake

I totally agree :)
  15. Shalanigh

Shalanigh Cupcake

I think it'll be interesting if one of the new classes revealed could be a ranged tank. I plan on being a tank, still waiting for the rest of the races and classes to lock down my choice. I think it'd be a nice variation to have 3 different types of tanks, each having something they can do a little better, but say if you don't have that type of tank the others can still do it. Like a ranged tank could kite a boss easier then say a warrior tank could...but it's not impossible for a warrior tank, it's still possible for them to do it.
    Sonntam likes this.
  16. Ennui

Ennui Cupcake

ranged tank doesn't have to mean they kite a boss. all i'm saying is that if a tank used a ranged weapon... a shotgun blast to the face is certainly going to draw a lot of aggro.

but yes, i hope that if they have another tank, that its a ranged DPS/tank.
    ruff_ethereal and Sonntam like this.
  17. Shalanigh

Shalanigh Cupcake

I agree, a ranged tank is a viable option as the last class reveal.
    I was just using an example of something one tank could have a small advantage over another type of tank. I don't want it to mean that if a boss needs to be kited it has to be the ranged tank, I want it to be ideal but not necessary.
  18. Vox_Populi

Vox_Populi New Cupcake

It wasn't until SWTOR that i ever tried tanking and then tried both types, mitigation and evasion. Tanking PVE i actually found boring Generate threat>Hold it>Rely on Healer. In PVP was great though, throwing up guard and getting liberal with taunt and sonic dart. So definately gonna give Stalker tank a try. Only thing making me a little catious is stat allocation.

Having to put so many points into tech, and possibly grit also, is there gonna be enough left over for brutality? Or perhaps are there tech based dps skills available to keep my damage up.

But like any plans made before launch, everything is subject to change.
  19. cirk

cirk Cupcake

I love tanking. Playing a healer or dps feels now way too passiv. It is so rewarding to know that you can carry the entire group if you perform exceptional. A good healer with a bad tank can do nothing about it. And even if you use your characters abilities perfectly like a good dps there are so many other things like positioning, control, awareness, communication and leadership that allow you boost the entire group if you do them well. And if your healer tells you afterwards he never had such a good time in a dungeon you know you did a good job. If you are willing to carry the responsibility and invest extra time in researching every encounter beforehand, I believe tanking is the most rewarding experience you will ever have in a game.
    Sonntam likes this.
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Oke.....just because you give off the feeling of shipping off healers as something inferior i've rewritten it:

It is so rewarding to know that you can carry the entire group if you perform exceptional. A good tank with a bad healer can do nothing about it. And even if you use your characters abilities perfectly like a good dps there are so many other things like positioning, control, awareness, communication and leadership that allow you boost the entire group if you do them well. And if your tank tells you afterwards he never had such a good time in a dungeon you know you did a good job. If you are willing to carry the responsibility and invest extra time in researching every encounter beforehand, I believe healing is the most rewarding experience you will ever have in a game.

I hope i did just showed you healing is as important as tanking. In WildStar healing is a bit different then in some other games, so positioning etc. is as important for a healer then a tank.
    So with that comes the awareness and communication, we don't got all target heals anymore. So people will need to know if there are healing orbs that they can use etc.
    Leadership can be done by any role. I've been in different guilds with the raidleader being the tank, dps and healer it doesn't really matter as long as they know the encounter and can explain it to others (taking the lead).

I normally play tank and healer (i hate being dps), and both roles are as rewarding and important as the other.