1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Tanking variety and flavor

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by D3athcr33ps, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The names aren't considered leaks anymore. It was shown in an interview with Carbine staff that has been uploaded with their consent.
    Any info on Engineers in-game is indeed considered ''leaks''.
    As for that...I can't use it, and therefore my claims still stand firm :p
    Sonntam likes this.
  2. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

If you look on the forum,tens of people name the last 2 classes way before that video (video which is 100% a slip-up by Carbine,i can't see how they did that on purpose).

Any leaks are not to be trusted for 2 reasons: one,you don't know how true they are,and two:they are usually preliminary work,subject to change,but they give a general idea of the 6 classes anyway,skills may get changed,but the general "feel" of the class will stay the same.

Since none of us is playing the final version of the game that will appear at launch,we can only speculate with the info we have atm (patch notes,leaks,gossip,developer hints in interviews,etc),as long as we don't give specific information and talk in broad strokes,i don't see any problem with it.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I know but thanks to that ''slip-up'' they can't be called leaks anymore from now on.
    I personally try not to use leaked info at all, hene the missing of the engineer tank completely. Even if I know something about it (what I won't tell anyway) I won't use it.

So for now if we compare the warrior with the stalker the Warrior tank seems to be more suited for saoking up damage then the stalker tank. True or not? (completely disregarding leaks)
    Sonntam likes this.
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Rift had Rogues tanking.

that is all i have to add - i never tank ;) lol!
    Extatica likes this.
  5. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

You can look at the patch notes,see what skills they have,and yes,this is the conclusion .Warrior is like "no matter what,i am tanky",while the stalker seems to be required to prepare himself for incoming damage,or use evasive skills,so more skill based tank,while the warrior seems more derpy (these are suppositions ofc,you can't really judge a class until you play it to cap and beyond)
    Extatica likes this.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Good we can agree :D

That's the whole reason why I quoted those milestone things (and said they are changing them). Just to make a more ''based speculation''.

And trying to reduce those WoW comparisons :p
    Apostate likes this.
  7. Greenies

Greenies New Cupcake

I just hope we can get shields back :)
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Can I really be the first to Shatter your dreams?
    AWESOME!

[​IMG]
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I liked bear/DK tanking because of the lack of tradition in tanking. I believe shields in WS are more hi-tech anyway, as they should be.

I'm hoping the "engineer" tanking can be cool because ATM it's like the only class that sounds really interesting me. I hope my imagination doesn't fail me. >_<
  10. Greenies

Greenies New Cupcake

True, but one can't disagree that a shield adds some flavour. From what I can tell at the moment it's pretty monotome in the weapons department. They still have time ofcourse, but adding a shield is a quick way to add some flavour to the arsenal.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

True but at this point, adding shields just to look cool seems to be more of a waste of time IMO. Just work on some cool weapon models instead. :)
    ruff_ethereal and Apostate like this.
  12. Greenies

Greenies New Cupcake

Don't see how those two don't mean the same thing.
    Adding a shield is the same as adding a weapon model.
  13. GITOUMAFACE

GITOUMAFACE New Cupcake

I'm interested how the different tank play styles will work around holding aggro. A warrior tank will probably have cool downs and enough mitigation to stay within melee range for sustained dps/threat generation and the Engineer should be able to maintain similar threat from range while dodging telegraphs or dealing with other adds. The stalker on the other hand will need to be a skilled dodger and be able to maneuver into melee range to generate threat.

Do you think that each of the tanks will have separate threat modifiers to counter their play styles? It may make sense that the advantages of being a ranged tank(or semi ranged tank if it is like vanguards from swtor) are countered by the need to be more skilled at maintaining threat where as maintaining threat may be very easy for a stalker but dodging in and out of melee range and telegraphs requires more skill.

Could add a layer of depth to the tanking choices based on a players skills and favored play style.

Warriors must be skilled at active ability mitigation
    Stalkers must be skilled at avoiding damage with movement
    Engineers must be skilled at maintaining constant threat

Of course all three of these skills will be needed to tank well but a player will get the maximum potential out of each tank if they are especially talented in the proper skill. This is all theory crafting obviously but I think would give each tank a nice flavor.
  14. Esauya

Esauya Cupcake

Well in TERA, warrior tanks generated threat FROM dodging. So it'll be interesting to see if there are "milestones" or specific "dodge skills" that make that happen. Or if Stalkers are just going to have to know when to land their big threat generators while moving around.

I think it goes with out saying that ALL tanks will HAVE to attempt to dodge all skills, however, some will be better at it while others will have skills that help them mitigate the ones they can't. I really see a big skill gap difference between good tanks and bad tanks rather than just getting by.

Also; we can sit and argue about who knows what from where, but no one is going to know until we are all playing release. Furthermore, we aren't going to really really know until enough time has passed in the game for people to be doing Elder Game content and exercising everything in the game to really know all of the mechanics.

I think we just have fun on these forums throwing theories and speculations out based on information that we think others may have missed or not looked into with the same perspective. A lot of wishful thinking through it all and mostly subjective.

Everyone should stop being so hard on each other and trolololing. We are just all super excited and want to share ideas.
  15. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

Dude, speculation is srs bidness. With only a few gameplay videos online it's pretty much boiled down to what comparison can you make from other games. Are they like Terra tanks, WoW tanks, or Star Wars tanks? In all honesty, I want to see elements from everything.

I was not aware of the shield bar for the stalkers until someone brought that to my attention. That sounds pretty dope.

I'm curious to see how the aggro system works out and how they can provide the tools to fill a role with only 6 buttons. There needs to be a careful balance between PVE tank abilities and PVP.
  16. Sera Serenity

Sera Serenity Cupcake-About-Town

Now that's just mean ...
    Extatica likes this.
  17. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Hopefully they won't go back to a "wait for three sunders" style of aggro generation. I doubt it will work like that though.

LAS mixed with all of the avoidance mechanics that seem to be implemented in WildStar gives me the impression that there will be limited time and or skills on my action bar to generate threat.

To me this adds up to a more dynamic and interesting tanking experience.

Time will tell.
  18. Xlugon Pyro

Extatica is mean. I mean, he's of the Dominion! Those people have asshattery in their genes.
    ruff_ethereal and Sera Serenity like this.
  19. Ahkronn

Ahkronn Cupcake

And SWToR had ranged tanks.
    And both of those work great *nod*
  20. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

Looks like a shield to me... maybe they will be in the game at some point.

[​IMG]