1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Tanking variety and flavor

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by D3athcr33ps, Sep 20, 2013.

1. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

They already are, only not in permanent form. The Warrior's shield is stored in their arm gauntlet, same with their cannon and any other auxiliary trinkets, to be deployed as necessary.

Lore wise, I believe it's to lessen the weight and the problems of having a physical shield deployed at all times.

Meta wise, I believe it's so you can relegate a single "plasma" shield or other model to the skills rather than making a plethora of permanent models, like their swords.
  2. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

That big shield just doesn't look like it could come out of a wrist piece. Oh well, the cartoony chunks when you kill mobs doesn't make a lot of sense either. :roflamo:
  3. ruff_ethereal

Not if it's a plasma shield or tucked away with convenient space-saving technology. Plenty of explanations.
  4. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

WildStar doesn't strike me as the kind of game that would care about realism too much.
  5. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

But the shield in that picture isn't plasma and it doesn't look like it could fold up and tuck away.
  6. ruff_ethereal

*shrug* Could possibly be a leftover. All I ever see is the plasma Rip-Saw.

Anyway, the shield could be warped into battle. I'm pretty sure there's teleportation in WildStar.
  7. Jicmonster

Jicmonster Cupcake-About-Town

I enjoyed my Powertech in SWTOR so if the engineer has a similar flavor (various shots/grenades/gadgets) I'd probably be happy with it.
  8. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

That picture most likely had the shield edited into it. Check this out.

[​IMG]

Same place, same Granok, same sword, same armor, same Aurin Esper, no shield. The actual shield is made of plasma just like the plasma saw, and you can see it in the Devspeak videos. I think specifically Aiming.
  9. monko

monko Cupcake

the warrior in Tera was a great idea implemented horrendously. it was buggish and mechanically unreliable. they should consider implementing the concept of evasion tanking into Wildstar, or have something moderately similar at one point or another.

for those who are unaware, the Warrior was considered a tank in Tera. wore light to medium weight armor and literally dodged moves and stuff. could be a main tank with an off tank to soak up major damage in certain mechanically heavy fights et cetera.
  10. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

I just don't want there to be the "top tank" BS like in other games. I remember being a feral druid in vanilla and idiots would say "you're suppose to be a healer. only warriors can tank." I understand class mechanics are up and down all the time, but I at least want to be viable. If all top guilds use a certain tank through 90% of all heroic instances, someone screwed up.
    CaRaDaGaiTa, Xecks and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  11. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

so true. bear is for fite.
  12. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

By evasion tank, do you mean someone who runs away, or someone who stacks avoidance?

The run away tank is just a recipe for failure period imo.
  13. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

Tanking in TERA is a bit different and as much as warrior(pre QoA2 when they added block skill) would be a good example for evasion tanking made quite right, you can't use lancer/warrior comparison in parallel with warrior/stalker in Wildstar.

From what we've heard so far, Wildstar warrior is a soak-up tank known from point&click mmos(with occasional dodging for sure, but mostly passive mitigation). Lancer in TERA is different - you have to block actively so it's actually also evasion tanking in a way, just without mobility. Blocking is easier than dodging/i-framing though, so warriors used to get hit more often than lancers. Because of that, despite wearing medium armor they are actually *more* durable than lancers due to having far more endurance(which together with armor makes your defense) and highest HP pool in the game. Stalkers seem to also have some bonuses to make up for their armor, but I'm pretty sure it's still not enough to be even with passive tanks(because, duh, that'd be OP).

Now about the "run away tanking" part.
    Evasion tanking in TERA was completely viable and in no way worse for party than blocking, yet is has been almost taken away from the game with QoA2 patch, by addition of block skill to the warrior class(almost, because it's still possible to evasion tank new content, but nearly no one does it for some reason). The problem was not design(except for some bosses maybe *cough*Kornus*cough*), but the player skill and mentality. A good warrior tank would just dodge to the sides and backwards while using his movement skills to get back to boss' face immediately after avoiding damage. A LOT of people though, seemed unable to grasp the concept of group play and here we ended up with a ton of noobs, jumping through bosses and turning them around like if they were soloing. I really hope that Carbine will make proper evasion tanking on stalker possible and won't chicken out some time later like BHS did, just because people want to do things they're not skilled enough for.

Can't provide my own example because of terrible fps while recording, so have some pre QoA2 Teoh:

tl;dr
    Evasion tanking if done right can be as stable as traditional tanking, but TERA is a bad example for class balance because there is no passive mitigation tank class.
    Leiloni likes this.
  14. Yule

Yule Cupcake

This. IMO, Rift actually got this part down. Every tank is viable for all fights, but a certain tank might do a fight better then the other options, which is perfectly fine IMO. Its all about finding the sweetspot where the tanks have their own flavour, strengths and weaknesses and still have them close enough that the difference does not affect their viability.
  15. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

My guess is that the three tanks will play very differently, according to lore and style.

The warrior will probably play exactly as we expect, soaking up big hits (they can even use a holo-shield). This class still feels like the typical shouts, slams, and stuns could fit for aggro mechanics.

The stalker I bet is going to be stacking some sort of dodge stat like crazy. Evasion will likely be the key factor, using smoke and mirrors to piss off and distract their targets.

We know absolutely nothing about the engineer except that it's ranged. I thought it was neat that SW:TOR had a ranged tank, but it seemed like all he did was sit around and take hits like the melee guys. I'd love to see the engineer focusing on complete avoidance, with speed boosts and snare/slow effects to kite. The best part of ranged classes is STAYING AWAY from things that hurt, so hopefully they'll give us tools to do that. Seeing how movement based WildStar is gives me hope that we could eventually see a truly different tanking style. Since it is 'engineer' and not 'hunter' maybe it'll have access to some nice high explosives that will aggro bosses nicely.

Over all I am extremely excited that there seems like a good amount of variance here. "Let the players tank the way they want to tank."
  16. Madly

Madly New Cupcake

Not sure if someone mentioned this already, but in Rift the rogue class has a tanking spec.
  17. Madly

Madly New Cupcake

I REALLY REALLY hope this is the case. My main in SWTOR was a powertech tank and, as someone who likes to play tanks, I can honestly say it's the most fun I've ever had tanking in any game. I think I would pee myself if the Engineer played similarly to a Powertech.
  18. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

What made the Powertech so fun compared to other tanks in SWTOR or tanking in other games?
  19. Rysta

Rysta New Cupcake

Easy: Jetpack fueled rage jumping at peoples faces, a grappling hook, lots of flamethrowers and a cryogenic freezing spray. :3

And if you meant playstyle wise. You were sort of the "block" tank in SWTOR, you had a lot of chances to pop your shield and the absorb of Powertechs was just insane. Then you had a boatload of utility and you were the only tank who actually had a hook and a charge. AE tanking was pretty easy and solo tanking never really was rocket science in that game.

In all honesty, i've got high hopes for the engineer as well.
    Madly and Tribe like this.
  20. Yule

Yule Cupcake

Would need to have a lot of snares then, or melee DPS will hate them forever.
    Sonntam likes this.