1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Tanky Melee Healer Class?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Monarc, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Monarc

Monarc Cupcake

Not exactly speculation of the new classes, but just a comment on the lack of my usual go-to class, the paladin, cleric, guardian archetype.

Basically the magical melee healer that usually has a shield and heavy armor and can take a lot of punishment while dishing out good heals and mediocre dps (or vice versa). Often can serve as an off-tank as well.

Not saying this class isn't one of the upcoming reveals, but without it as an option I'm going to be a little bummed out. Unless there is an aspect of the warrior class that I'm missing...

Anyone else usually play this sort of class?
    ruff_ethereal and kanochi like this.
  2. Baeldan

Baeldan Cupcake-About-Town

Well from what I can tell, both factions are largely secular. The classic paladin archetype therefore doesn't really fit the lore. Obviously they can tweak the theme of the paladin to create something like... an armoured chemist or something?

However the way the classes are set up, each class can do DPS, and one other role - heal or tank. A paladin is talented at both and that's not something we're going to see.
  3. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

I really enjoyed the paladin class a lot to, being able to tank/heal was my favorite two roles in games so I was all for them. ^^ Hopefully the remaining classes will have something that goes along those lines. ^^

Some type of engineering heavy armor with shield type thing lol and mechanical heals or something might fit into the lore and be a really interesting aspect lol, though I'm just throwing out random ideas.
  4. NerdEsq

NerdEsq Cupcake

Melee healers that wear heavy armor are my go to type. If it's available, it's what I'm playing. :D
    If it also has the option to tank, it's just perfection imo.
  5. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

Sorry, but you'd be disappointed. The whole class design revolves around giving each one a set function of dps/tank or dps/heal, that way it's easier for grouping. Maybe they'll add a tank/heal class down the line but they'd have to change the whole system because a class like that won't have a dps role so they have to implement it in a way that won't terribly gimp the class' damage. Not to mention that you won't have a "tanky healer", you'd just have a class with two specs of healer and tank.
    Edouard Seryozhenkov likes this.
  6. Monarc

Monarc Cupcake

I get what you're saying. Although I'd be okay if the class was heal/dps/melee style with the armored, hard to kill aspect which is really more what I'm referencing. Or even tank/dps without heals, just something to fill the gap of the "knightly" style class. Yes I know it's sci-fi but it's not like this game doesn't have swords and magic...

I mean it's a common class in almost every MMO I know of, seems hard to buy that it just doesn't fit in anywhere...
  7. Baeldan

Baeldan Cupcake-About-Town

Strong tank/dps is called 'Warrior'. :p

As for melee heal/dps, we currently have 2 melee tanks and 2 ranged healers. Not outside the realm of possibility that one of the unannounced classes is a melee healer.
  8. popober

I'm not saying that it doesn't fit in the setting, I'm saying that the current class system can't work with it. Right now the classes are all designed with dual roles that play separately. So while a warrior can tank and dps, he can't do both at the same time, he can spec into a tank or a dps role. Likewise with a SS, you can heal OR dps, but not both. Of course maybe when more info is release it's possible that you can make a somewhat tough damager, a tank with considerable dps, or a dps with a heal here and there.

But being able to heal AND DPS at the same time isn't possible, same goes for healing and tanking. If they ever implement a class with tank/heal roles, it won't be a tough armored healer, instead you would have to pick between either going healer or tank, which I afraid doesn't sound quite what you're expecting.
    Edouard Seryozhenkov likes this.
  9. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Do you have a Dev quote on this?
    My understanding was you could split your abilities and stats right down the middle between DPS Heal/Tank if you chose to do so.
  10. Jatlantis

Jatlantis New Cupcake

With the class system they have shown so far, I agree. A class that is only split between Healing and Tanking is unlikely.

It would make soloing more tedious than it had to be, probably.
  11. Monarc

Monarc Cupcake

The specific class role aside, I was more referring to a common rpg archetype that seems to be missing from this game, more the overall concept of the class vs. the specific role. I'm curious how class roles/builds will work, don't really know much about the system to be honest.

I'm still very excited to play many of the currently revealed classes, just realizing that I may not be able to play the class-style I've grown accustomed to from other games.
  12. popober

I honestly just took that from what's been shown on the class page and what I've heard from some videos. But I could just be talking out of my ass. I did say that it's possible come release that you can make a sort of hybrid, but nowhere near what's suggested in this thread. Not like it's possible to make a tank/healer anyway,

While there's no "paladin" class, the Warrior is pretty much the knight archetype; focused on heavy armor and melee. No magic though and the support role is tanking. The devs seem to prefer making a clear separation between classes in terms of design.
  13. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

It's unlikely you'll be able to get enough of both your dpsing and your tank/healing stat to effectively act in a any sort of hybrid capacity in PvE.

You can put all the heals in the world on your bar if you have no support power you might as well not be there.
  14. Jeuraud

First; whether it’s a viable path or not was not the point.
    Second; Raid and PvE are not synonymous. Raiders do not get to claim PvE as their own, despite them often interchanging PvE and Raid in their discussions.
    Third; you have the ability to plug in 2 Stat chips per circuit; but you can only plug an Ability in, one per circuit. This means that there is no reason to not plug in some of your secondary stat so that you will have some support power.
    Fourth; you no more have a clue than I do about viability, unless you’re in Beta.
  15. Inv1cted

It's entirely the point your first post was quoting a post saying just that. It also speaks directly to the OP's question.
    Pointless inflammatory statement, I never explicitly outlined a raid environment, I never said optimal either I said effectively function. Now you can argue semantics all you want but a heal hitting for its base value I'm sure most people will agree isn't really going to be considered effective I don't care how basic the content is you're doing.
    There's no reason you can't there's also no reason you would or should, I mean what does it achieve? Not really being able to dps well at all and not being able to heal well at all but at the same time?!? Not to mention the Devs have explicitly bound your dpsing stat and your healing/tanking stat to two different primaries to ensure you don't get into situations where a piece of gear could be mistaken for a healer or dps piece or a tank or dps piece. I can't imagine they did this just for funsies.
    Besides there has been example drops posted on this forum and less scrupulous members of the community have even seen posted drop stats. With all those secondary stats required to function effectively I don't see a lot of room to whack on enough of an entirely superfluous stat and still function well even during questing.
    No one knows what's 'viable' (of course we could all use common sense or previous precedents but that a wholly tangential argument I don't want to get dragged into because of the 'it will be different this time from every other mmo ever guys for serious' because it won't be) not even people in the beta because no one is max level. Superfluous point anyway most posts are just hearsay and conjecture or people misinterpreting what a dev said or people taking one tine grain of information from an offhand comment and extrapolating massive conclusions.
    Zwipe likes this.
  16. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

From the information we have, it seems you can distribute your points any which way you want. I dont see why you couldn't go like 70/30 and still be really effective and a hybrid. But anything more equivalent like 60/40 or 50/50 and you gonna get none of the highend milestones which are gonna hurt you bad. You will also be missing alot of mini-mile stones. It may ofcourse still be effective in whatever way you play depending on how your gear and play style fit in, but not likely
  17. Jeuraud

My first post was directed towards someone who said you could not split your abilities and stats, and I used the 50/50 as an example that I thought it could be done. I did not say anything about it being viable, but you had to put your 2 cents in about it not being a viable build. I don’t give a <REDACTED> that it’s not viable to ‘you’. I am not a Raider, and I will never put myself up for your inspection. If you were to try to do so in a PUG I would tell you to go <REDACTED> yourself; unless I’d been falling on my face. This would not be likely being I’m primarily a Soloer, and I have yet to find a build that was viable in how I choose to solo, and not viable in a small group.

Also my post has nothing to do with this
    which is the OPs question.

And I never “explicitly” said you had; but I find it interesting that you did not deny the point. You just used lawyering, just as I did.

The rest of your post is your opinion on what I should do; or more of this.
  18. Inv1cted

Tell me Jeraud are there a lot of off tanks in solo content? What about healers? I'm sure nowhere ever could you find examples likening soloing as a healer to masochism. Clearly the OP was talking explicitly and only about solo content.

Yeah, I think you're reading more into this then is there. I'm not those PUG leaders who told you your solo build was crappy or your GS was too low don't take you frustrations out on me. I'm not that tank in LFD who pointed out you were doing less dps then him because half your talents were healing ones.
    I really don't care how you choose to play solo, its simply par the course that when you play in a group you play 'properly'.
    Although that's entirely tangential.
    Apostate likes this.
  19. Amenar

Amenar New Cupcake

Its usually my go to class aswell. So far I believe it to be possible. Since magic already is involved in the game I dont see a problem in a faction/school/religoin believe that the magic comes from a divine entity. And there is always need and want for a hybrid.
  20. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

Unfortunately Carbine doesnt want a healer/tanks class.