1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Teleportation in Wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gempulse, May 24, 2013.

1. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

When I hear developers talking about how they are going to implement ways for players to teleport all over the world, I can't help but wonder why? Teleporting to places frequently and easily is an immense hindrance on the game, because it severely trivializes the size and scope of the world; even more so than flying mounts do.

When I first heard (at PAX) that Carbine was seemingly carelessly implementing flying mounts into the game, I grew worried. I was relieved of this worry when I heard that they were reconsidering flying mounts after listening to community feedback on why they can be detrimental to the game world (world PvP, exploration, having people actually on the ground).

Then I heard that the LFG Tool they designed will instantly teleport you and your group to the dungeon entrance (after you have discovered the dungeon). Also, players can instantly teleport to their house "anytime, anywhere." I am puzzled by these decisions. You are reconsidering flying mounts, yet you keep this implementation in the game? Why make this big and beautiful game world if players are just going to bypass it all by teleporting everywhere?

Flying mounts and teleporting are the two biggest causes that I have seen in MMOs for worlds being vacant. Do not make these mistakes; allow your world to feel alive by incentivising world play. Do not discourage it.

I am not saying that there should be a complete absence of teleportation. Teleportation can be great, if it is a limited convenience feature; like mage portals in WoW. Teleportation should be used as a way for the community to connect on another level.

Here are some examples of ways teleportation was, or can be done right:

1. Using my "mage portal" example again, these portals forced players to communicate in WoW. If someone was in Stormwind City, and needed a portal to Ironforge, they could simply find a mage and ask he, or she to port them. This might seem like an insignificant form of community building, but it all adds up. Based on what we know, I would say that the Esper is a great candidate for a porting spell.

2. Thirty minutes to one hour cool-down on the teleportation to your house (hearthstone-esque feature).

3. Summoning stones (as seen in WoW). When a queue is complete in the LFG tool, require two players to run (or taxi) to the dungeon entrance and summon the remaining three members.

4. A member of our community (Sabre, I think) had a nice suggestion in IRC last night. It was to have Settlers build teleportation devices in the world and players can use them when they are in need. Perhaps Settlers could be the new "mages," so to speak.

I know that many other community members here on Wildstar-Central and on the Wildstar subreddit feel as strongly as I do about this, and I hope that they chime in and express their concerns about this as well.

In conclusion, I say:

Carbine: don't be afraid of forcing people to experience the world, even if it is an "inconvenience."
    Vunak, mindsk, Sephel and 8 others like this.
  2. Azalus

Azalus Cupcake

Settlers have a lot of community connection as it is, if anything I'd like to see it be something scientists or explorers did.
    Teehk likes this.
  3. Gempulse

I would agree with you, except that Settlers are supposed to be the "community builders." The whole path is based on socialized game play.
  4. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

At first, I loved the convenience of being able to warp around at will in GW2, but it definitely did have an impact upon my view of the world around me.

Teleportation to Dungeons via the LFD tool though, the last I heard at least, this was the case.

Lethality likes this.
  5. Gempulse

Yes, this is why I posted this thread. Because it has been confirmed that players teleport instantly after their queue is up.

Edit:
    Yes, I too disliked the waypointing system in GW2. They stated that mounts detracted from the size of the world; in actuality, waypoints made the world feel tiny.
  6. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I do agree that too much teleporting could be bad for the game. Too much convenience in general can be bad, too little convenience can be bad as well. So yeah, I would like to see limited teleport use. The dungeon teleport. I would prefer if you are teleported to the closest flight master, and then have to walk to the dungeon. I mean, the closes flight port is where you would fly to anyway (and you cannot be attacked while flying), so a telerport there would be ok.

Regarding the house teleport... I'm not sure on that one. We are not 100% sure on what the house will have or how much it will affect our regular playing, so not too sure on that one. Another option could be to have it accessible from any flight master, so we can get to it easily, but not too easily... Dunno, we'll have to wait and see what part, and how important the house will play in the game.

The settler summon stone idea sounds pretty good as well.
  7. Mihtjel

Mihtjel New Cupcake

I approve of this message.

Make sure the world remains a viable place to move around, and not something that's easily bypassed to get to the dungeons and raids. In my view, it is essential to expose new and levelling players to the higher levels by having higher-level players pass by in the lower-level zones. This creates a desire for the low-level player to achieve the same level, gear, skills etc., and keeps the game interesting.
    Milamilou, Dnevnoy and Azhdaha like this.
  8. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

When it comes to being teleported to places the only convenience item that bothers me is a 'looking for raid' implementation because of the dumbing down of content to a 'free loot face smash' que.

Flying mounts are fine by me as long as they don't take away from what an explorer is suppose to do.

I like the idea of a Settler Summon craftable node near raid/dungeon entrances. That is a neat idea.
  9. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I was also in favor of dungeon teleports to the zone or flight master, not in favor of a summoning stone.
    If houses are instanced or in the sky, then the only way to them would be a "hearth" port, which seems reasonable.
    I don't think there is a reason for mage/settler ports.
    Don't want a raid portal, you should taxi to the zone and make your way to the instance.
  10. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

When I got to this bit I smiled. :)

Another part of my suggestion is that each path has their own way of transporing themselves and others to different parts of the world.

Explorers can open up new paths, scientists can hack certain things that enable their group to travel, soldiers can fight enemies to get some form of fast travel, etc.

Also, I believe that when you teleport to your house plot you'll teleport back to where you came from when you leave, so it's not someway to get around easily, just so that you can go there if you need to. I'm fine with being able to teleport to your house, because if you have to go back to town then it limits people who actually want to be out in the world.

RE Summoning stones: I believe with enough alternative transport methods (to be able to get to nearby cities) you can make each path have ways that enable groups to get to any area quickly without making it something that only 2 people have to worry about. Note: Settlers are the exception since part of the path is the social aspect.

With the settlers building teleports idea there will almost always be teleports built up in cities that are nearby frequently run dungeons and otherwise you can get there via other path's special transport methods.

Edit: I could go on, but I'll let people discuss first. :)

Edit2: I feel like given enough alternate transportation options there should be no need for a "free teleport" such as in LFG or in house raid portals. Facilitating as much to players with limited time is good, but I feel it shouldn't be something that is implemented just for them - it should be what makes the game feel alive and awesome for everyone.
    Menchi and Gempulse like this.
  11. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

I would personally really dislike being able to TP as much as in GW2. it really made the world feel... weird. I'd much rather have had mounts and some other fast travel options instead.

Though I doubt wildstar will feature that much teleporting, after all, we have mounts AND speederbike rentals, and teleports would kinda make both of those obsolete. SO i doubt there is going to be much in the way of that.
  12. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

They've said that they're listening to feedback about it, and that if it really comes down to it, they'd not have flying in at launch. Unlike that though, we don't seem to be able to get them to at least think about cross-realm instant-porting PvE and PvP content.
  13. Sabre070

The real problem with GW2 teleporting is that it was just a simple click and you're gone system (you could port from anywhere as far as I recall?).

I had the same problem with Oblivion and Skyrim, but loved the way that fast travel worked in Morrowind.

If teleporters/fast travel is costly and time consuming (so that it has a benefit for long distance, but not short distance) then it would be fine - the speeder bike rental and ground mounts are still going to be the best way to get around between nearby towns.

Travel is something that can really make or break a game for me, it's such a big part of the game - you really have to get it right.
  14. Haoli

Haoli Cupcake-About-Town

With the limitation placed that your character must have been to the dungeon entrance before, I am fine with the teleportation aspect of the LFG tool.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  15. Mayjinx

Mayjinx Cupcake

yeah but you have a problem its 50/50..maybe 60/40 for flight...so unlikely...
  16. Sabre070

It's more than just the LFG tool that you have to consider here.
  17. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Hopefully, they make the open world interesting with lots of content, and they wont feel the need to put in teleports because people will be out in the world exploring and doing the content and wont feel compelled to skip around the game world.
  18. Rownan

Rownan New Cupcake

I have to say for the most part I agree with you Gempulse, while some players do enjoy the ease of flying mounts and long-distance teleportation, it takes away from the point of developing a fully functional world.

The developers purposely designed every aspect of the world for the main reason that they expected players to be traveling on the ground, so I am not sure why they would even consider long-distance teleportation or flying mounts.

The only thing I do not agree with however is your idea of implementing the "portals". I feel that the portals would defeat the purpose of the Explorers ability to run underground to shorten travel time. Since they have this ability I feel that would make up for portals and player travel in general.

Now with there idea of teleporting the players to the dungeon in their LFG(Looking for Group) System I must say I agree with you again. That would cancel out the purpose of the fully developed world. But again I feel they already did a fair enough job on providing players with quicker opportunities to get to places with the Explorers abilities. Hopefully the Carbine team will read your post however and re-consider this idea.

Thank you for making this post though because I must have missed the news on this.
    Dnevnoy and Gempulse like this.
  19. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

I don't like instant porting but I like flight. Instant porting takes me out of the world entirely, but flight allows me to see the world from a different perspective.

I understand everyone concerns though. I'd suggest a series of quests before a dungeon where you earn a talisman of some kind that will allow you to transport and you have to go to a certain place in the city to use it.
    Once you successfully use the talisman, it disappears.
  20. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]
    Ronwan and Joukehainen like this.