1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Teleportation in Wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gempulse, May 24, 2013.

1. Dnevnoy

Dnevnoy Cupcake-About-Town

RE: Make stuff to do so people will go there, travel is irrelevant.

While I agree the first step is to have stuff out in the open world to do that on it's own does not solve the concerns some of us and bringing up. If you have flying mounts + teleporting you still have a pattern of fast traveling to an objective, completing it and then flying/teleporting away. You are still minimising the time spent out in the world (relative to what it would be with longer travel) and you are still lessening immersion and lessening the sense of world.
  2. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

On the topic of flying, I am very open to either way but I do believe if there will be flying mounts that there should be restrictions on it. The other thread has a lot of different ideas to deal with flying mounts. They do have the tendency of making the world feel smaller, trivializes explorer challenges and become the 'best' way of travel.

In regards to making the world feel smaller, I do feel teleporters like GW2 have a negative impact and should remain taxi services. I have no problem with there being quite a bit of taxis throughout a zone especially with settlers (love it even more if they're the ones adding them, great way for socialization).

I'm very torn on teleporting for LFD. There has been quite a few suggestions that include not including teleporting to teleporting to a nearby hub, etc. I feel both of these bring up weird conditions when grouped with people you don't know/other servers. If there was no teleportion, Random Dungeon could not exist especially in a large world unless they let you know during the queue which one you were doing. If it didn't do this, it would promote hanging out at a central hub as to be able to get to the dungeon the quickest. If you happen to get someone who is lazy or slow, your dungeon is going to take much longer as you wait for them. Wait, what was that - just kick them? If the ability to remove a member from the party is that easy, it will be abused. Don't have raiding gear or are sitting in pvp gear, I don't know you -kick! I'd like to think it wouldn't be like this but it happened all the time in other games. Maybe the ability to kick if they are out of the dungeon too long? Perhaps they were on completely the other side and is working their way there as quick as they can; however, without teleportion and wanting a large world, this is going to take time. Perhaps summoning stones. These would have to be in the dungeon and people aren't making their way there anyways, they are being teleported there. This can lead to people always wanted to be summoned anyways so isn't promoting the trip to the dungeon.

For Crossrealm groups, you have the above problems but what if you're grouped with someone from a pvp server? If they get ganked repeatedly, you cannot go help as they are on a different server. If they're lost, you can't just pop out and show them where. Ported to a nearby hub on a pvp server - there will definitely people there camping the area to gank as this occurred all the time in other games.

My point is that convenience is sometimes well worth it as the negatives from not having that convenience can negatively affect your playtime. If there wasn't a LFD and you were all on the same server, you could at least combat above and not being able to teleport would be fine; however, Carbine has stated they want LFD and the xrealm ability.
  3. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

First - I am more in the pro-flying crowd...but

I also have concerns about portal hopping and have been giving a lot of thought to past travel experiences in mmo's that worked for me, those that didn't, and why.

In WoW, I liked the travel paths, boats, underground trains, flying mounts and flying blimps. WoW has a great variety of different travel types.

EQ2 did traveling with their griffins and boats...at least it kept you in the virtual world looking at scenery for a bit. Also, I liked that I had to use other methods of travel to get to the boats and wait for scheduled runs. Such a minor inconvenience, but this more closely mirrors our own world of minor inconveniences.

Even though I knew what was happening behind the scenes, the appearance of a real vehicle and small travel time, allowed me to SUSPEND DISBELIEF. That is key, I think, whatever you do for travel, WS has to find a way for the player to kinda buy in emotionally that this is a 'real' way to travel ... that there is a semblance of truth to the mode of travel.

Yes, a 'want-it-now' player will beef about that, but the problem with these players whether hardcore or casual is that they are game-locusts. They don't seem to PLAY in a virtual world. In fact, this type of player would be happy with a series of mini-games where they hit each one in a progression style of play. That's not what an mmoRPG should be about though.

And that is why I don't care for any type of simplified portal. It feels like I am just going from one mini-game to another. yuck.

In Rift, you have portals...and they left me feeling ... blah. In fact, in every game that I've played where they've had portals blinking me in and spitting me out, it was ... blah. Wow has one or two...again... blah.

If portals are absolutely necessary, I think it would help when using a portal ability that you give the player an EXPERIENCE between entering and leaving the portal. AC2 did something like that, and I liked that better but portals should be used sparingly.

There should be a wide variety of travel available. From hoofing it, to pony and cart, to mounts, to regulated flying paths, to underground railways, to spaceships ... keep the variety. Don't use portals for all travel. Don't use flying mounts for all travel or any of the others either.

Keep the variety and always allow us to find a semblance of truth in our travel encounters.
    ---------

Suspension of disbelief or willing suspension of disbelief is a term coined in 1817 by the poet and aesthetic philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge, who suggested that if a writer could infuse a "human interest and a semblance of truth" into a fantastic tale, the reader would suspend judgment concerning the implausibility of the narrative.
    Black Wolf, kiri and Dnevnoy like this.
  4. Seagrey

I would not put any fast travel in WS at launch.

BUT, I would PLAN in advance for many varieties of travel throughout the game .

For instance,
    Once players start griping about travel, I would initiate a questline to build a railway.
    Settlers would be the builders, Scientists the architects, Explorers the resource gatherers, and Soldiers the security.
    If players want faster travel, then make them WORK for it and MAINTAIN it.
    kiri likes this.
  5. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

I really rather dislike the current trend within the genre of getting where you want when you want without any detriment at all. There needs to be something there that makes you ponder over taking that instant and brain-dead form of travel or actually making the effort and the long journey. The problem has only gotten worse in years. Warcraft went from a living world to what could literally just be a lobby game or "flat patches of blank terrain with a few mobs sprinkled here and there for quests."
    Gempulse and Sephel like this.
  6. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

I am inordinately glad that many of you share the same concerns as I do. I really hope that this catches the attention of Carbine and they think critically about how they implement their traveling systems; it really does affect more parts of the game than many people might think.

The thing is, for the integrity of the game, it might be best for Carbine to ignore the incessant whining about inconvenience in the game. Whining about trivial matters in World of Warcraft is what changed it from being an enigmatic phenomenon into a "lobby game."
  7. Nezk

Nezk Cupcake

It could not be more critical to make people run across the world with mounts and severely limit instant teleportation. It just kills emmersion and sense of adventure and especially world pvp if people just teloport to everything.

I am not saying don't have summoning stones or Taxi services, but whatever you do don't make it like GW2 where you're basically an omnipotent god going anywhere you want, at any time.

Having a live world full of people farming materials, questing, exploring, ganking, and traveling to their destination is critical to create relationships.

Do Not Add Teleportation, or Flying mounts.
  8. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

yea ... the hits just keep on coming. once the initial systems wear off this is starting to look like just another lobby mmo. well, here's to a few months of fun ...

If they really said that about mounts ... idk why I even listen to developers anymore.

EDIT: I still think flying mounts can work, but it needs to be more difficult. There need to be cannons and ... w.e else knocking you out of the sky .. or something.
  9. Seagrey

Carbine needs to be prepared for whining if they take out instant travel. They can prepare for it and actually implement exciting and new ways for travel by giving players the tools, in game, to build them. Any additional whining can be mirrored back to the players. For any instant travel (IT), it should be required for the players to sustain it in some way. If the players become lazy then the IT goes away. If players continue to need or want it they'll work for it.
    Kataryna likes this.
  10. azmundai

this is not the virtual world you are looking for
    !_! :( :mad: :cry:
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

those complaining about insta-travel-teleporting: Rift. It had insta-travel ports, and I clearly remember NOT using them all the time. I'd go to the main town to sell stuff and back to the hub i'd been at, but you HAD to be at the portal to be able to use it to travel (except your "hearth"). They were just really quick flight points, so you could be in the world instead of on a bird for 10 mins flying.

Funniest time I had in Rift was because of the portals. Me and a friend of mine were having a "sheeping wand" war. I'd sheeped him and ran away, he kept trying to sheep me back. So I started running away on my mount. He started off following me, but then he decided to try to stay a step ahead of me, so he'd teleport to whichever hub I was heading towards, so as soon as I saw his dot pop up on the mini-map, I'd switch directions and run towards a different area. He'd load in and then try to figure out where I was going, sometimes porting, sometimes running after me. It was a BLAST!!! Trying to find areas where he couldn't easily find me, etc. We spent probably 1-2 HOURS in the world exploring and running around just because they had this in. If the portals weren't in the game then we would have most likely given up and stopped the game after 15-20 minutes! I was dying laughing the whole dang time (and you've gotta hear me dying laughing - i squeak like a dying hamster....)!!!
  12. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Wouldn't that beat the purpose of the explorers? Having to find one and ask him if you can use his "tunnel" system to reach "lala land"? Same thing would go for flying mounts really, I mean, at highest level ones you get them, being an explorer and doing explorer missions seem pointless at that stage because you can reach anyplace, anywhere with those "mounts".
    Gempulse likes this.
  13. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

Yes, you are correct, in a way. However, from what I played at the PAX demo (I played an explorer), explorers' tunnels are used for quick travel within a zone; not for long distance travel.

For example: my explorer went underground at a southern point of the zone. After I emerged from the other side of the tunnel, I had traveled north, roughly halfway across Deradune.

Though I do understand that people are saying that explorers might be best suited for a fast-travel type mechanic, I can't help but think that explorers are designed for making zone-confined traveling shorter. I could be 100% wrong though. Nevertheless, this is what I have gathered thus far.
    Kataryna likes this.
  14. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Hmm yes, suppose it wouldn't make sense to have Explorers cover long distances through tunneling system.
    Unless they had some hidden/undiscovered technology left by the 'Eldan'.
  15. azmundai

funny you should mention rift, I cancelled my sub the day they announced the lfg. the only reason I was playing a wow clone was because it wasn't a wow clone. once it became a wow clone .. what was the point? there were a couple of other reasons, but that was the nail in the coffin so to speak. 4 years later ... there is nothing else to play so I am interested in W* .. but not as much as I was when the picture was fuzzy. really starting to look like more of the same .. with warplots and 40 man raids. might be enough .. but only because no one else has the nuts to make a virtual world.
    Dnevnoy and kiri like this.
  16. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I'm not opposed to dungeons porting after I explored the entrance and I think a fee for the port would be appropriate as well. 50 Silver for a port would be a fair amount I think. Also the suggestion to provide an experience while doing the port I liked.
  17. Aladen

Aladen Cupcake

Just on that point I think they can handle as standard.
    The new map, looking for a man Taxi, talks to him, [clause added to the Taxi].
    So him, talk, select the locations to which we wanted to go (which has already visited and speaking the guy from Taxi), pay a small fee and head.

This method applies to hiking to medium distances. What about long journeys?
    Place in a large city for spacecraft. Arrives every half an hour (unless the devs already said in a movie), we get, we're going to another continent, etc.

Here there is nothing to wonder how it will look. Only in a decorative, whether it be space ships, boats, taxi, etc.
  18. Compella

Compella Cupcake

I agree, there should only be the portals you listed. Now if Carbine are going to listen... I doubt it. I'm amazed they actually implemented it in the first place.
  19. Fantomette

Fantomette New Cupcake

That's the main problem with all these super theories of game design and fun. Game designer often apply them without thinking twice about their meaning.

Yeah, things like Alterac Valley and no-teleport and things like that were boring. But they were also awesome. If you think that traveling is boring, then correct traveling to be less boring. Don't delete traveling.

Flying mounts and teleports are killing the MMOs. Like a lot of "good ideas", they end up having collateral damage unsuspected before.
    Chuk likes this.
  20. Tayle

Tayle Cupcake

I agree. I think teleporting is fine as long as it isn't like GW2 where you can teleport from anywhere to the teleport. You should have to run to the teleport and use it from there. However I think there should be very few teleports. There should only be teleports in major cities and towns. There should never be a teleport at a minor camp or something like that...
    Kataryna likes this.