1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Teleportation in Wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gempulse, May 24, 2013.

1. WakeskaterX

WakeskaterX Cupcake-About-Town

I would love for Settlers to be able to build Teleportation Devices near raids and dungeons. That adds flavor to the world.

Or better yet, they build 'Unstable Teleportation Device'. And it is unusable until a Scientist comes along and fine tunes it into a 'Stable Teleportation Device'. Then it would have say ~10 uses (or just require upkeep) or something like that to either summon or connect to a teleportation "highway" so to speak adding a node on the map. It shouldn't be perma, but that'd be some neat cross path building.

On the topic of XServer grouping... I think it sucks. It let's people be total douches, ruins server unity and detracts from the feeling of a real world and a real universe. LFD/LFG Teleports feel the same way. I think adding summoning stones / giving settlers or someone the ability to summon players is a much better alternative and like someone said above let's you suspend disbelief and be a part of the world.

We'll see how it is, these are the kinds of things that make me not get too over hyped about W*. GW2 was just... silly with all the waypoint teleports. The game is beautiful but I never felt a part of a world, when things don't makes sense. Individual loot? Makes no sense. Teleporting anywhere for pennies? Makes no sense. 25 people mining the same ore? Makes no sense. /end side rant.

I'm suspending any final judgement though until the game comes out and I can thoroughly play it and see how it is.
    kiri and Chuk like this.
  2. Phillip Dannelly

Phillip Dannelly New Cupcake

I would rather Flying/Tele exist. For the most, part forcing the player to see the world by paying 1/2 attention running from point to point and having to run through areas isn't going to exactly raise the amount of enjoyment they are having.

Those who enjoy the sights aren't forced to stop what they are doing and only queue. Plus what no one here seemed to mention is that you will in fact see the world regardless of implementation, because this is where the PVE content is and most of the game. Just because you didn't traverse the entire world on foot really doesn't stop you from seeing the crafted world and enjoying it or exploring it.

If they have a much better and most importantly fun aspect to add in the place to fill the same role that would be acceptable also.

I had great days taking the boats in EQ1 falling off them and ending up in mysterious areas that generally meant death, but was quite a new sight to see, only the first time or so. Then it became rather repetitive which is basically why there was an expansion that added quick travel(Had a waiting time on them, but largely the same).
  3. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Jeremy confirmed 30 minutes cooldown for the house teleport skill. (Unless you are already in a house and you stuck).

I really like that idea :)

I like teleporting if you go to a highly populated place like a city. That way you not porting to avoid contact with people, but the opposite. It's not necessary, but if you're in a hurry it can come in handy.

Other than that, I'm fine with the dungeon teleport if you have to discover it first. Also I'd rather have teleport to PvP battlegrounds than to ride there every time.

It's not about laziness. It's about time. Sometimes I only have ca. half an hour to play something, maybe a battleground or a quick dungeon and I don't want to spend that time on just traveling there.

But I also do want to explore the whole world on my own, not with the help of teleport nodes. So if they don't take the GW2 route than I'm okay with that. :)
  4. 9bit

9bit Cupcake

I never understood the dislike of teleportation. If you want to run from X to Y for the 50th time and "enjoy the sights" then go for it; you don't have to use the teleport feature.

I played a lot of Guild Wars 2 and teleporting never made the world feel small to me. Maybe it's just individual perspective. I understood the size of the world without needing to run through it all the time.
  5. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

Could you provide a source for this, please? :)
  6. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Gempulse likes this.
  7. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

I've always liked Lotro's fast travel.

Once you've found the next horse path (and/or unlocked enough faction rep to buy a map), you can fast travel to the location at a higher price. It was generally more economical to just not take fast travel and use the cheaper non-fast horse routes.

Captain's could summon with horns at certain premade camps.

Hunters could learn ports ("Path to X") to the major quest hubs, as well as set one campfire at the same camps the Captain's had horns at to port to. Hunters could also make the whole group run faster.

All classes could map home to a location you set up by visiting it.

Otherwise, it's hoof it or foot it everywhere.
  8. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

9. lee sinclair

lee sinclair Cupcake

i agree. no flying and limmited fast travel. id also pitch in to limmit auction and bank areas to create social hubs. making that 10 min journey time to the social area worthwhile.
    Gempulse likes this.
  10. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

If you have to wait 30 minutes to port to your house, what happens if you want to go there in 20 minutes?

Hope real hard and flap your arms like a bird? They're in the sky after all. Unless there's some sort of housing teleports in towns but

fudge, the ability to port back and forth to your house whenever you want (out of combat of course) like a mother loving slider was probably my favorite thing about housing

its your house, and you get to go to it whenever the literal <REDACTED> you want to

why does everything have a cooldown timer, can't we just have ONE cool thing that doesn't? It's not like the ability to rapidly port back and forth from your house has any gameplay advantages, you would just get ported back to where you ported from.

From a rock

to your house

back to the rock

your house

rock

house

why does this need a timer. Hearthstones had a timer because they traveled over distance, house porting is just moving from the overworld to an instance and back. If you wanted to make your world feel bigger by limited movement back and forth from houses you should have designed them to be on land.
  11. lee sinclair

lee sinclair Cupcake

yer. i really think fast travel etc should be player generated. with the usual taxi stuff for filler.
    sayin that even UO had a way to teleport to yer house from anywhere.
    Gempulse likes this.
  12. Dayno

Dayno New Cupcake

I
    I totally agree with this. If you can go to any dungeon without have gone there before, then I would really hate that.
  13. Monarc

Monarc Cupcake

I agree that fast travel to a dungeon after already discovering it makes sense and cuts down on wait time for your group.

But I don't like instant fast travel as it trivializes the game world and kills immersion. Some of my fondest memories of playing MMOs is traveling with a group of friends across a great distance to achieve a goal and the obstacles we faced along the way. If we could have just fast traveled we would have because it would have been easier, and those fun memories just wouldn't exist... just like they don't exist from my time spent playing GW2.
  14. Elrodeus

Elrodeus Cupcake

This can't be said enough. Transportation of any kind, (teleports, mounts) should only be used in the game to add versatility; at no point should it trivialize content. It's one of my main reasons for not wanting flying mounts in any of my MMORPG's from now on. It trivializes far too much content of the game. Especially considering it works counter intuitive to one of the featured "Paths". I want to be an Explorer but if there's flying mounts in the game I'll instead be a Scientist since Explorer will just point arrows on top of things to tell me where to fly on my mount.
  15. Inimicus

Inimicus Cupcake

Teleportation is great as a time saver but at the same time it should not be accessible enough that it means people use it to just jump around the world and never actually fully engage with the various zones.

I also have mixed feelings at the idea of "mage portals" i remember and hated being stuck somewhere, needing a portal and skumbag mages being like "i'll do you a portal...for 10 gold" SKUMBAGS!!
  16. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

If a game has to have teleports I wish they would do it similar to how FFXI did it. Only a few areas that can be teleported to just to get you in the vicinity of your destination, and only one/two classes that can actually create the teleport.

[Teleport-Dem][Can I have it?][You can have this.][Reward] 2k
  17. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

no one wants to be the only one running around in the world. telephoning eliminates the virtual traffic of the game world making it feel empty.

i have less of a problem with flying, though I really think there should be hazards to flying. cannons, dragons (robotic or otherwise), ... etc ... in and around quest areas.
  18. Elrodeus

Elrodeus Cupcake

Has it been confirmed that housing is just nothing more than an instance? If that's the case I really wouldn't see any reason to throw a cooldown on that teleport either. I was under the impression that housing would take place in some place in the open world sky since other players or the public would be able to visit it like in the video.

On the other hand housing being nothing more than instances is a little disheartening. I was hoping they would be visible in the sky out in the open world. Or even on the land somewhere.
  19. Exquise

Exquise New Cupcake

I'm guessing it'll be like most mmo's. Teleport NPC's and scroll's rather than waypoints.
  20. Inimicus

Inimicus Cupcake

I think you will proabably see some floating islands but if the server has 20,000 people on it i doubt you are going to see 20,000 islands