1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

TESO Release Date set..so what does that mean for Wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by kongpong, Dec 11, 2013.

1. kongpong

kongpong Cupcake

Carbine said WildStar would come out in 2013 then it didn't happen.Carbine now says the game will be released when it is ready. (spring 2014) TESO has a release date of April 4th.

What happens now? Carbine already missed great time frame Q3 of 2013.

Does Carbine try to release Wildstar before TESO? (to try to grab people that are hard pressed to play a new MMO or on the fence)

Or do they stick to their guns and wait "till its ready" and release it after the smoke clears from the TESO launch.
  2. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

TESO Release Date set..so what does that mean for Wildstar? ...Nothing,
    Teso aint even close to be a threat to wildstar. :p
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

TESO was dissapointing for me tbh....

Even if TESO is first, I see that a lot of people will begin to play it to then jump over to WildStar once it comes. Weither they stick with WS is to be seen. Ofcourse TESO will have their own steady base of fans, but I still think a lot of MMO gamers will turn over to WS once they tried TESO.

But that's kinda what I think.
    Wendo and Mondasin like this.
  4. Kidney

Kidney Cupcake

I thought Avenged answered this pretty well in the action sets thread, but it was a bit buried.

TESO release doesn't matter because first mover is not Carbine's plan.
    Kusiga likes this.
  5. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I agree.

Different games. Plenty of room for competition.
  6. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

April 4th is actually... Quarter 2. And note that release is only for the PC/Mac versions of TESO; the console versions will come in June.

And I believe Wildstar is currently planned for Q2 (Spring) of 2014. Which would be April-June. Not sure where the OP got this Q1 stuff. Never heard that.

The Wildstar crew has already tweeted their 'grats to the TESO team, so everything's good on that end.

Everquest 2 was released about 3 weeks before Wowcraft. EQ2 is still doing ok.

What's the point of this thread?
    LoweGearShift and Witless like this.
  7. CptElendi

CptElendi Cupcake-About-Town

TESO already owned themself, Wildstar don't even have to try.
  8. kongpong

kongpong Cupcake

Which ever comes out 1st will be the first AAA MMO to be released since early 2013. It's a big market yes but from a business standpoint I bet NCsoft is telling Carbine "make it happen captain" or maybe "show me the money". If Jeffy G gets his way I think it will release "when its ready" but he has a boss..and we all know money makes a lot of choices in business.
  9. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

*Rabble rabble rabble*
    Deltre and GoatSlayrr like this.
  10. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

The thing is, the people that will play ESO have no intrest in a real MMORPG. Just horrible Singleplayer RPG, with people Runing around in your game to break your Single player Immersion. There is no holy trinity in the game. The dungeons are geared to just be a basic time sink with no challenge. The game's end game is PvP. The combat system has no decent mechanics, other than dodge. I even think even though Rift, WoW, FFXIV ARR have more depth to the combat system even though that ESO is a Action based MMORPG. The game is geared to be played to end game, then put away, unless of course your addicted to the universe, and want to see every small dungeon that comes out. With decent PvP.

In other words, The game will disappoint most that are hyped, the fan base will have many ravenous fans that will stay. They will have a small audience that is inflated by the consoles. On PC it will be ditched. But console players will consume every bit of the MMO because ONLY 1 or 3 has ever been on a console. For most exclusively console gamer crowd It may be in fact their first MMORPG. Where they dont expect much.

It's a console MMORPG. Feels hollow, the only thing decent is the story, and PvP at least a little. It still feels like they shoved in MMO in to the Mediocre RPG.

It is literally the first MMORPG that I wished was not an MMO, so i could enjoy the experience. People just seem to be in the way. Things are not instanced that should be, and things that are are a relief. The times when the game is challenging are times you dont expect it to be. This game would have been better if they made it a sandbox MMORPG.
  11. Payne

Payne New Cupcake

I remember the "wow that looks sweet" feeling after the announcement trailer for TESO. Then I played the beta. You'd be better off with Skyrim Mods or next ES single player game.

Then again, lots of games make awesome trailers but then the game doesn't live up to the hype of the trailer.
  12. Wildebeest

Wildebeest Cupcake

I thought Corpsealot's review of ESO was spot on.
    Laura, TuxedoMask, Bazeleel and 2 others like this.
  13. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I don't know if you can totally dismiss this IP like many of you are, just because it doesn't appear to be what many hardcore fans were thinking.

Look at SWToR. I'll be the first to say I stopped playing halfway thru Beta because I thought it was horrible, still do. But, it has done pretty well since changing many things around. This is a monster of an IP (ESO) that will keep many just because of it name.

I guess what I'm saying is it will have an affect on WS. Now whether Carbine is concerned about releasing before or after I'd doubt. But, if you think NCSoft isn't aware and paying attention, you're nuts.

Also, and I know I'm hoping here, Who knows WS could be ready in March. Beta currently has no restrictions except Raiding, I believe. Unless some major design choice gets revamped I can't see them taking much more than 3 months with these Betas.

Of course it's all conjecture, but I don't see how anyone can dismiss ESO out of hand. The reviews it got early, mostly bad, have been met with some good ones after this last Beta weekend.

/shrug who knows...
    kongpong likes this.
  14. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

I do, the game is bad, just like drugs M'kay? I was In beta. How was there any good reviews?
  15. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

A couple of people I personally know and members of my guild (a rather large group) think it's fine.
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I wont totally dismiss it, even though I'm not a big ES fan. I do think the audience is very different and the people who enjoy features that ESO is selling, are probably not interested in the features Wildstar has. So I believe that if there never was an ESO game, those same ES fans most likely would not be getting Wildstar either, because it just doesn't appeal to them, they would be looking at other MMO's with features similar to what ESO is offering.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  17. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I can believe this. For example the guild I am in has a very large following for ESO and EQN. It is now starting to see a bigger collection of folks show interest in WS.

We are an old timers guild ;) so I imagine those two IPs speak louder to many of us than WildStar does. Makes me wonder if we will see a line drawn down the age bracket between the games. Many in my guild have expressed a concern with the combat of WS and the stylized graphics, and prefer what ESO is offering.
  18. Scarzi

Scarzi Cupcake-About-Town

ESO will flop, elder scrolls should have never step foot into the MMO market.
  19. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Now OP if this is a derailment I'm sorry it just kind popped in my head and was curious if anybody else sees the parallels.

Back in 2004 we had an old giant on our hands EQ. We also had a couple smaller but tight knit games as well AC, AO and UO. Then game what was supposed to be a battle between heavyweights EQ2 and WoW. It eventually became a TKO in the 3rd round.

Now in 2013 we have an old giant WoW. We also have a handful of smaller successful games in LotRO, Rift, and EVE. In the Spring two potential heavyweights are coming out ESO and WildStar. Personally i think this will end in a TKO by WildStar.

WoW came at the right time. To me it looks like WildStar is too.
  20. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

It wasn't just "right time" but also a plethora of other factors. Its no secret that WoW outspent every other studio prior to it by huge percents for example. Wildstar also does not have something as flat out game altering as soloing to max level to fuel it either.

I completely agree that Eso and Wildstar are shooting at different targets, and Eso will keep some people around based on ip alone. I do not see it having much staying power though, especially in its current condition. Its pve is like Gw2 and Tsw had a semi retarded baby. I cannot comment on the pvp as it wouldn't even let me zone into Cyrodil. Beta is beta and all that jazz.