1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

TESO Release Date set..so what does that mean for Wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by kongpong, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Who said anything about July I'm starting to you don't even read people post before replying?

I'm not even sure what you reply is, as launch window is spring, which is the 1st April to the 20 of June.
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

End of June means that nice 2 week launch window hits over the major holiday weekend. It is unlikely that coming off from major crunch time + emergency bugfixes/balance patches they are going to blow through a major US holiday. It does happen (look at Swtor) but it is an extreme minority of the time as otherwise the workforce would riot.
  3. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Er I quite clearly
    I clearly said the 20th and now you jumping 2 weeks and making that my date, please troll somewhere else.
  4. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

The first 2 weeks is considered the launch window. That is when your immediate problems start to occur, especially as the first wave starts hitting max level on a significant basis since that content is often the least tested. Coming off from crunch usually you will be understaffed as large segments of the various teams will be on break to recuperate from said crunch. This is part of the reason why its 3-4 weeks for the first major balance patch to hit.

ps Correcting you when you say something foolish isn't trolling.
    CptElendi likes this.
  5. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I learned to Mousedrive in EQ, and continued to do so in DAoC, SWG, and CoHV, and in CoHV I could jump over buildings, or fly, or speed through the streets. I could also run along building ledges (Or even up a building if was good enough with jump.), as well as on power lines and fence tops, and when they introduced Ninja Run I added running and jumping from building top to building top (Just like I was in a Chinese martial arts movie.) to my travels. I don’t think I’ve played any cmptr RPG that had the movement of CoHV, and it came out at the same time Lineage 2 did.

Click to move died with EQ; WtF was Lineage 2 even doing with such an antiquated movement system.
  6. WildFly

WildFly Cupcake

7. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

Well, yeah, and that's venturing into the discussion of "what players want" vs. "what devs know they need" and whatnot.

I actually wasn't referencing EQNext specifically, just saying in general that we've seen some real disasters come from devs forsaking working systems (like auction houses) in favor of systems that actually make the players' experience more annoying.

Naturally, yes, SOMEONE should be innovating in the MMO space (it's definitely not Blizzard) so devs need to do SOME new things, but when that happens, they ought to be doing so because it'll be more fun than the old system.

Again, not seen any of EQN so I can't comment on that. I'm just trying to say that, with what Wildstar is doing, I think we're going to have a very fun game on our hands.

I'd suggest at least riding it out til the beta to see for yourself.
  8. Shinozuka

Shinozuka Cupcake

I am guessing the 1st of Octember. For Wildstar

[​IMG]
    Xanafel likes this.
  9. Rhialto

Rhialto New Cupcake

Here is my wild speculation: Given that the devs held onto a 2013 release date until fairly late in the year, I think the game is mostly ready right now. Wildstar will release in March, 2014, say fourteen weeks or so, which will give ample time for tweaking and polishing.

Like many, I also enjoyed Skyrim. TESO looks pretty good to me and I am interested in playing it. I suspect TESO will sell more copies at launch than WILDSTAR. WILDSTAR may be hurt because it is an NCSoft game and there is lots of hard feeling out there over GW2. Despite that, I think both WILSTAR and TESO will do moderately well after launch and make decent profits for their respective companies. I can't see either game holding my interest for a year. I don't think either of them will be world shaking, or the 'next big thing.'

Having said that, I intend to buy both and play both. They look fun.
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  10. TheHidden01

TheHidden01 Cupcake

Yet another MMO stating that doing more quests in other zones is endgame content, remember SWTOR?

The game's PvP lacks Arenas and BGs, it's Cyrodill is probably just a bit better WvW, which is good for the casuals I suppose. As for PvE it completely lacks it, and lastly, and once again, YOU CAN KEEP QUESTING AT 50 YAY!

The game's combat is a bore fest, and it's animations are poor. I think the visuals are fantastic, but that's about it.

The game will be deader than SWTOR within 3 months.

WildStar shouldn't even worry about it, I am under no illusions, ESO will probably outsell it initially, but longterm, unless they have a stella updating performance, it will not hold up.

TH
  11. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

I think one of the biggest benefits for TESO could also be its greatest weakness. That is that its an ES game, And as such people will hold it to the same standards as all the other ES games as well as live up to what people expect from an MMO in general
  12. Jango

Jango New Cupcake

I don't think Carbine has anything to worry about regarding other MMO's coming out, as long as they focus on their own game the same way they have in the past - I believe its gonna carry itself nicely into success in the future.
  13. Cynosure

Cynosure Cupcake

Unfortunately, TESO does not stand a chance in any way (in my opinion--probably yours, too, if you had played any of the beta or stress-testing sessions).

It does not live up to the Elder Scrolls tag nor does it integrate a positive MMORPG experience. Word is small, your path is essentially set for you, combat is a joke, and customization is almost non-existent. They tried hard to carry over the UI from Skyrim, but even failed at that.

I feel Bethesda should have created their own game rather than letting that "ZeniMax" company take the reigns. Of course some TES fanboys will clutch to it, but all-in-all I think it will have been a negative decision for Bethesda to have sponsored and promoted this game.
  14. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I was more into ESO than wildstar initially.
    But as I hear more and more about wildstar I became more and more interested in wildstar.

ESO not so much I think hearing about this kinda put the nail in the coffin in my interest.
    Video sums my thoughts

You can only level in your faction area or the pvp area until max level and then you can choose another alliance area to do quests in another alliance zone and only see other same faction players who choose that zone as well.

I was like wow just wow wth It really killed my interest in the game.
    I really hoped they changed that. I haven't heared anything else that would rekindle my interest and people from beta are not saying anything good either at least the ones I know of.
  15. Rhialto

Rhialto New Cupcake

I am very sorry to learn that the TESO world is small. I had read that it was quite large.

Regarding, Zenimax, Zenimax Online Studios was created by the parent company, Zenimax Media, specifically for the purpose of developing TESO. Both Zenimax Online Studios and Bethesda are wholly owned subidiaries of Zenimax Media. In fact, Zenimax Media and Bethesda are located in the same corporate building.

So Zenimax Media is really calling the shots, just as NCSoft is making any calls it cares to for Wildstar.
  16. Cynosure

Cynosure Cupcake

Aha. I had not done the relevant research and was just assuming they were separate entities. Regardless, it's more than obvious that the two development teams are separated by some magic wall (or maybe they purposefully went in this separate direction?).

Please note that these are opinions and are subjective. Don't let them discourage you from giving the game a shot. It's fairly easy to get into one of their stress tests or weekend plays, I believe.
  17. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

That video you posted.... that guy has some real limited point of view. I just watched a couple of his vids. He overexaggerates the flaws / experimental features and takes not into account any single thing that makes new games worthwile.

Pretty much like almost all those diehard WoW fanboys out there... They are everywhere, trying to spread bad words about upcoming MMORPGs. Just watch some of those beta wildstar streams and read some of the chats. It's full of them.
  18. Cesmode

Cesmode Cupcake-About-Town

I dont know if they are having an open beta...but if so, we aren't even there yet.

On average, Id say an open beta can go from 1-3 months. We have 2 weeks left in Q4 2013. So even if open beta stared on 1/1/2013(which it isnt) I dont think we would be done with it for at least a month or two, most likely more..so yes, Id say early Q2 at the earliest.
  19. Bloddryn

Bloddryn Cupcake

Actually, in some ways he's underplaying it in this video. Official word of the ESO devs is PvP is only Alliance vs Alliance, only happens in Cyrodil (not multiple areas or zones, just the single region), and the faction areas are restricted. (They are a bigger than his use of the word zone makes it sound, however). But until you hit 50 and finish the single player storyline (which is identical for all players, regardless of faction, race or class) you can not enter the other faction territories, and when you can, it is scaled up and devoid of other faction players. This is honestly what the developers have openly revealed.

What is open to question (and I honestly don't know) for the 50+/50++ content (the dev's term for exploring other faction areas) is if you're running through new quests, or literally running through the other alliance quests exactly as they are for them, which would involve their preparations for war against your faction (and the third faction) including fighting your own faction NPCs. And that would be... weird, and from a story perspective, really game breaking.

It also has some carry on effects: once most of the server is max level, the early zones are deserted, and pointless. There won't be a reason to go back to level 6-15 (or whatever) zone, and nothing to do but farm resource nodes if you do.

It also has a really bizarre side-effect for a subscription game. There aren't any compelling reasons to create an alt. Ever. The classes have three exclusive skill lines out of 50 or so, and you can only slot and use 5 abilities at time (plus an 'ultimate'). With the story duplicated, and the max level open up questing in other faction areas, beyond a burning, burning need to try another class or race, there isn't any reason to create an alt. Unless your buddies picked a different faction and you actually want to play with them, of course. Because as it is, you just can't. For the most part, I see people picking up ESO, plowing through the content, picking up all the datacrons skyshards and then once they get bored of the WvW PvP (and there isn't any other kind) they'll just walk.

I've been following it pretty heavily since they announced the beta, and in my view it combines the worst aspects of SWTOR and GW2, and aggressively eliminated the positive elements of either. (Like the chapter 1 class stories or the open nature of the GW2 world, with its scaling to keep things somewhat relevant)
    Bnol likes this.
  20. Bazeleel

Bazeleel Cupcake-About-Town

How is a single player game with poorly added on multi-player elements a threat???? For 15/mo no less too.

I'd rather eat my own foot.