1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

TESO Release Date set..so what does that mean for Wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by kongpong, Dec 11, 2013.

1. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

You just retold the same thing I could get from that video. Yet you fail to see any of the positive features in that game.

I will personally also favor Wildstar over TESO, just because I think it suits me better but being so blind to the positive aspects of a game is just ignorance at it's best. Wildstar will have flaws too, and there will be plenty of people ready to point us at those flaws. Wildstar will have a hard time to compete with WoW, just like any other MMORPG had. Telling me I'm wrong on this is just naive. Past titles were loking kinda "promising" at their time too, but look where they are now.

People seem so nitpicky on every single flaw in a new game. They don't even give them the same chance and time to improve WoW had.

At the time TESO will launch the video posted here will be more then half a year old. Half a year of development can change some things and how about wait and see how it finally works out, instead of sitting here watching one video calling doom upon that game and taking it for the onliest truth and not taking anything else to judge that game? I'm sure I could make a video about Wildstar and overexaggerating it's flaws too and I'm sure such a video could keep alot of undecided players playing it.

So yes this guy has a very limited point of view, not only in this specific TESO video but some of his other ones too.
  2. Bloddryn

Bloddryn Cupcake

And that should be noteworthy and worrisome, since that video is from 5 months ago, and my comments are based on the developer comments and press releases from the last month or so. That it hasn't changed, except, perhaps to solidify and emphasize those 'features' is, I think, the sign of hidebound and poor design decisions.

10 months old by launch, and the development is not geared toward changing things. ESO is in crunch time, not revision time, and they're racing to make things workable for release. From a practical standpoint, they're way past the time they could change major features of the game. I'm not judging it based on that video, but by developer comments, press releases and other things.

I don't actually know anything about that guy or his other videos, but considering he made those comments 5 months ago when I was still fairly optimistic about ESO, he seems rather prescient, not limited in his POV.
  3. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

You seem to not get what I mean when I say his PoV is wery limited.

People like this and like you will apparently rant about just anything "bad" on their radar. I doubt you will find any other pleasent MMORPG (next to WoW) this way. Wildstar won't be perfect neither. They maybe allready have or at the very least will do implement things you maybe don't want that way. That does not mean things cannot change.

Judging MMOs from next to no knowledge except some gameplay videos and interviews is limited. But that's not the onliest thing that makes his video limited...
  4. Bloddryn

Bloddryn Cupcake

No, I just don't care, because it doesn't matter. What random video guy has to say isn't particularly important, but given the information I have, it is a decent and accurate impression of the state of ESO. The only impressive thing about it is he arrived at that conclusion 5 months ago.

You've mentioned the possibility of positive things several times now. Or that things 'could' change (which frankly isn't actually likely, due to the announced release date and how game companies work at this stage of development). But you haven't provided any of the positive qualities you seem certain exist. What are they?

Feel free not to come to any bizarre personal conclusions about me based on my impressions of a single game.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  5. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

And you know this because you actually are familiar with developing yourself? Nowadays anyone on the internet is kind of an expert in everything. Other games changed stuff post launch, why should TESO or any other coming game not be able to do this?

If you tell me you honestly can't find one single good thing about that game it's just obvious I waste my time with you. And I hate wasting time.
  6. Elloa

Elloa Cupcake

ESO and Wildstar are not adressing the same public. many gamers will try both as they try every game, but ESO have its own flavor that target the ESO fans, not just MMO players. MMO players that will try ESO without having a connection or attraction toward the universe of Tamriel, its lore, and its immersion OR for a 3 faction war a la DAOC will probably be disapointed and move away after the first months like usual.

The release date give Wildstar and advantage over ESO however, as they can decide when to launch.

The biggest thread for Wildstar is, imho, the release of Warlord of Draenor, as Wildstar targeted a ot of the disapointed ex-WOW players, and those players migth be hooked back by their old game instead of trying Wildstar.

Wildstar will have a real challenge here, and will have to aim perfectly their release to not see it ruined by Blizzard expac release.
    Lunacat and CptElendi like this.
  7. Bloddryn

Bloddryn Cupcake

Ah. An appeal to expertise and a goalpost shift to post-launch changes, is it?
    But sure, (and in answer to your first question, yes). They can, of course, completely revamp the game post launch in response to people who don't stay subbed and walk away. At which point the 'loyalists' get cranky because everything is different now, and they still don't know when they're getting the gigantic list of things they were promised (like raids, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Crime System, Housing, most of which are staples of ES games that definitively won't be in ESO at a launch). And once the revamping is done, given past history, the whole shebang will collapse like a Star Wars Galaxies expansion, or go free to play in a fit of nerdrage that will bring painful echoes of Star Wars the Old Republic.

I didn't say that, though its negative points far outweighs the few good points (and several are simply really generic things like 'fantasy without guns') My pros/cons lists was severely lopsided. But evidently you can't provide one good thing either.
  8. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The Moon, or Outerspace but sometimes Earth
    That game (TESO) looks horrible. I hope they take as long as they need with WS. If they want the game to be a success, they will have as much end-game content ready polished and playable, because that's what keeps people interested when we talk about a subbed based game.
  9. Draxus

Draxus Cupcake

10. Bloddryn

Bloddryn Cupcake

Dargenus likes this.
  11. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

Played beta and I agree 100%.
  12. coreymj78

It sounds like you are saying that you believe WS will "take over" the other MMO's including Wow? If you think for a second that WS will touch Wow, you are gravely mistaken. Especially with WoD launching sometime in the Spring most likely. There will always be die-hard Wow fans and there will always be a lot of them. So please, we can stop the Wow-killer speculaitons already. No MMO will ever launch and be a true Wow-killer. Just not going to happen.
  13. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I guess I can see where you'd draw that conclusion from what I said, but that's not what I was thinking. Actually I wasn't really thinking anything other than how it looks in my eyes. What I was hinting at is that WS will be more like WoW and ESO will be more like EQ2 when both released. In other words WS will be the much better game.

And sure, your right about WoW. Hell EQ still has players
  14. coreymj78

Ah yes. Very good. Makes more sense now. Thanks.
  15. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

On a completely unrelated note, it's kind of ironic when I search for Wildstar on Amazon.com and Elder Scrolls turns up at the top of the list.
    Shaigh likes this.
  16. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

I've heard stuff about this before and my interest in TESO was fairly low, but, that video?

My only reaction is just. Wat. Wat.
  17. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

well that video only a blurb compared to the whole yogscast senjin's interview that I watched and the whole more leveling for endgame limited exploration and no chance of pvp outside of pvp allowed zones kinda made me not interested.
  18. Alex F

Alex F Cupcake

Exactly. But I don't know about the DAOC people. If anyone goes there expecting to flash back to the good old days of DAOC RvR, then they are setting themselves up for a doop.

As for WOW's WOD, the truth is, in my opinion, it's a good thing because it's the best trial for Wildstar. If people try Wildstar and eventually end up going back to WoW then it means Wildstar failed. If not, it means Wildstar has a shot at being the next WoW. And knowing that, I'm more excited to see how that plays out than actually playing the game itself.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  19. coreymj78

Wa-wa-wah? Why? I just assume all games do well, that way if I feel like switching, I know the game I'm going to is still a solidly supported game with at least something of a community left. I'm not itching for Wow to fail. What reason would there be? God forbid all the current Wow players come to Wildstar, that's the last thing we need. Sheesh.
  20. Alex F

Alex F Cupcake

I don't want WOW to fail either. But it is time for it to take a step back an allow a newer game on the top of the podium, which is, as always, not up to WoW but to that newer game.

And if you think that most current WoW players are not gonna flock to Wildstar (at least at the start) then you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment. And TBH I'd much rather have immature WoW players than enraged. over-protective fanboys, around me.