1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Big Beefy Beta Mega-Thread!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Echelon, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardavil

Gardavil Cupcake

Inactive because we did not do a survey on this ... "reddit" thing? Watching email several times a day and monitoring mmorpg.com and this website is NOT active enough?

I don't monitor "reddit", or FB, or Twitter, or anything else like that. I monitor the mmo forums and email as I always have. Would I be considered dead to the Devs then?
  2. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

Well the survey was not a "Reddit" thing. It was started a few months back to gauge the active crowd and get stats on PC s and play time so they could cherry pick Beta Testers (or try to). Taking the survey to increase your chances on getting into the Beta has been mentioned by the Devs in the Dev Speak and the Carbine Livestreams, its been mentioned in these forums, its been mentioned on numerous press
    LiveStreams and articles as well as Twitter and FB(I don't monitor those either). If you haven't filled out the Survey, I don't think it makes you "dead" but it probably keeps you at the bottom of the pool of choices as they have limited info on what you bring to the table as far as testing goes.
  3. Gardavil

Gardavil Cupcake

I haven't watched any of the Livestreams due to low bandwidth on my end (I generally have enough bandwidth to play MMOs but videos take a while to buffer). I just in past few days finally saw all the official videos for classes on Carbine's main site. I have only been monitoring this website now for a few weeks so I haven't even begun to read all the threads and probably never will. It's not surprising I missed hearing of the survey on here.

On the Videos I have seen I have not heard mention of any Survey. I must not have seen the right videos. I have only now saw mention of the survey first time on this thread.

It would seem I missed the Train. Thanks for helping me understand this better. Much appreciated.
  4. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

The survey's been posted/mentioned many places. As was noted, not answering the survey doesn't make you "dead" or anything, just that answering the survey will increase your chances.

Moreover, you haven't missed the train; I think the survey should still be up and active at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WSWinterBeta
    Mountebank likes this.
  5. Gardavil

Gardavil Cupcake

I awoke this morning to your post Packetdancer and also Ravenwind sent me a link to the Survey as well, survey completed.

Thank you everyone :)

I will watch for posts from others like me that missed the link to the survey, and I will pass it on.
  6. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

Now you can commiserate with the rest of us who have been patiently waiting many, many moons ,some over a year, for that Beta Invite. And of course, if you actually get one, you can't tell us without breaking the NDA. You CAN however, tell us you have gone "Squatching*" or post yourself singing "I've got a Golden Ticket" from Charlie and the Chocolate factory and we'll get the hint. ;)

*Squatchng. the act of looking for the Mythical Bigfoot or Sasquatch or W* Beta Invite.
  7. Gardavil

Gardavil Cupcake

I understand completely. If I do get invited I will not say a word... I was well trained by Turbine during LotRO's original beta. Mum is the word.
  8. Mountebank

Mountebank New Cupcake

Allegedly a new wave of invites should have gone out, folks.

Make sure you check your spam and/or promotions folder as it may get shunted and hidden there. I don't know what the actual e-mail looks like, but I suspect that you should look for something from NCSoft, Carbine, or Wildstar ;)
  9. Alpen

Alpen New Cupcake

First of all no, im not writing here looking for a beta key. I just was hoping someone could explain how wildstars beta works. For example i know with elder scrolls online there beta was for just one weekend.. is the wildstars beta longer? And do people get to keep their characters that they leveled in beta, for when the game comes out properly?? And are wildstar going to have a live beta? A live beta means everyone and anyone can play in it right??

I aplreciatr all answers :)
  10. CptElendi

CptElendi Cupcake-About-Town

Stress test and beta are two different thing. Beta is normaly forever and stress test is only for a weekend or a week depending on the game.
  11. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Wildstar's Stress Tests are generally done over a weekend the last time they've had one. They serve the purpose of only seeing how well the servers handle a number of players trying to log on at the same time, bandwidth needs, and other super technical things that only a chua could understand.

Otherwise, Wildstar's beta has come in waves since like, I guess, June of 2013 I think was the first wave. I might be a little off. Anyway, in Fall of 2013 closed beta was suspended while the several core parts of the game were redesigned based on feedback from that summer beta. Closed beta meaning that you had to have an invitation from Carbine to participate.

A couple months ago the closed beta started back up again. Like before, it seems to be going to progress in waves with each wave adding more people. The most recent was the "Friendship Wave" where keys were given to pairs of people. One person got a key for themselves and they also got a friend key. One can only assume this was done to see how well teaming together and other group functions would hold up. Not to mention as a way for a friend who knew of Wildstar to introduce another friend who didn't know about it.

While we can only guess since we don't actually have the ability to look at the beta forums for the latest news, the general thought right now is no. You don't get to keep the character you made in closed beta.

Also more commonly known as Open Beta. A beta that does not require a invitation from Carbine to join. Most games hand these out to people who preorder or applied for closed beta and never got an invitation. The main thing we know about this from interview and livestreams is that there will be an open beta, probably about a month before launch.
  12. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I see the question asked so much, about keeping beta characters when the game goes live. Does this mostly come from F2P games? I haven't come across people asking this question as much as I have seen it recently, I dont get it.
  13. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

Sort of. Not specifically because they're F2P, but because some of them do a soft launch, but call it an open beta, so they can get the game up and start collecting money, but still tweak things and wipe if they have to, while having "beta" as an excuse.
  14. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

Lets hear from the forum base why member deserve a beta key from Wild Star Central....

I for one will be playing one way or another in the future so beta or no make no big difference.

But I should get one for being Livn's only true friend! (not in real life)
  15. Snugglz

Snugglz New Cupcake

Maybe if your avatar was changed they would give you a key o.0 lol
  16. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

Imposter says what?
  17. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

Like with most things in life, beta keys aren't given to people that would benefit Carbine best. I'm writing defect reports in Application Lifecycle Management right now in a final regression cycle for my company, but is there any way to tell Carbine this? NO, it's blind lotteries and PR contests.

:cautious: I get it, you don't want quality bug reports and someone trying to find them early in your testing cycle...
  18. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

That might actually deserve a pity key.
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Yup cause you are the only one able to do so, right? :p
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  20. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

It would be a bad precedent publicly, but they should have given a key to that guy they tracked who sent them 5000 seperate beta applications. On the downlow, that's a good guy to have in beta, assuming it wasn't to resell on ebay.

No, but my complaint is there's no part of the application process, surveymonkey or the PlayNC account submission to indicate a really relevant qualification.

Funny story, I was invited to SC2 beta, and my wife got an invite a week later. She played about twice, and didn't go any farther with it, but I played almost nightly with two friends doing real testing and balance observations and changes(and man do I miss the old size of Thors...). A month down the road, she was sent FOUR more keys to give to friends because she hadn't been playing & wanted to draw her back in. It bums me out that pretty much all companies are more interested in the buzz & running a glorified demo than getting people who really want to contribute. :oops:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.