1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Big Beefy Beta Mega-Thread!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Echelon, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snugglz

Snugglz New Cupcake

lol imposter. It is actually pretty funny how much a coincidence this is.

Speaking of Beta though I feel the exact same way that I will eventually get one. I'm hoping those who have won them already are enjoying the heck out of them right now.
  2. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I think Mel should have a beta key because of huggable puppy avatar. Everyone knows that a beta needs a hugging puppy.

Extatica should never be given a key. The filthy chua will just run around breaking things and altering the code to make chua the dominate species in the game. Plus, chua have fleas. Radioactive fleas. With rabies. Ew.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Then tell me what do YOU consider a really relevant qualification?

Isn't that the definition of good testing? If the game can handle me....then it can handle ANYTHING!
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  4. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

I am content with writing addons till the game comes out. Then I can try them all out! I have 6 addons that i finished and gave to my buddy in beta to try, he said they work perfectly! So some day I will have less time to tweek addons and more time playing the game! Housing addon is epic tho! More to come in the future for my WSC buddies!
  5. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

I could send them my resume for one, but I'm not expecting to be hired. I'm just annoyed that game betas don't look for serious testers or even ask them to submit tickets or defects if someone isn't. About the only advancement in the past 10 years of betas has been the popup surveys while you play that can be & are skipped. Although I was rigorous about filling those out in SWTOR and look how that turned out... maybe it's for the best :rolleyes:
  6. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

They shouldn't. :)
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Yes, because the only feedback/bug reports they get is from submitting tickets.....:roflamo:

Also a game needs noobs! They need people who don't know what to do, that's also called TESTING!

And if you really think they don't have serious testers in it.....

All in all your posts come across cocky as hell, there are enough good/serious testers out there and i'm pretty sure there are plenty in-game already. But having ''only'' good/serious testers that have done it many times before isn't good either. You also NEED noobs for some additional data!

And did you know that leavers are a great way of getting feedback? Carbine known when and where you stopped playing the game, if it is a trend they can come up with several conclusions based on the data.

And if you don't agree, tell me this thing:
    What do you think YOU (personally) can add to the testing of a game what all those others can't?
    MacHaggis and Carebear Commander like this.
  8. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

I do agree with you on all points in this post, other than me being cocky; I'm not trying to be & apologize if that's how you're interpreting it. I think the beta application should have some way of asking "are you going to seriously test the game?" or "are you just hyped as heck for what you've seen and want early access?" They ask for and get tons of hyped players with special contests & giveaways, but there's no good filter for recruiting someone who will put time aside from questing and looking for wall jumping spots, holes in the map, and how to break animations like Chen's Empty Keg kneel.

I'd be satisfied if there were a question or two about it in the surveymonkey, but the closest they came was "which betas have you participated in the past," and it doesn't ask you to elaborate what you found broken or what interesting things you found that were unintended.
  9. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

But you also have to understand that if anything takes more then 2 seconds to fill out most of the gaming population will fail to accomplish filling it out.

I remember them asking how many hours a day do you play MMOs? >60 hours a week? Problem a good tester to put into beta.
  10. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with you on this one! But give ya one just to make others cry!!!
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Asking and getting serious answers are two worlds far a part of each other :D

I think doing so would only be a waste of time for them.

Also you still need non-testing testers in your game aswell. Even non-testers give data to Carbine. Weither that data is from stopping paying the game to how long it takes to get to max level, to which area is the most ''famous'' and attracts people to that area to level there.

A lot of testers play in a different way then the ''regular'' gamers that just get in Beta to play the game. Even without filling in tickets they still give tons of feedback.

So again....a good testing is with ALL KIND of people.

Yes it may seems strange and sometimes unfair, but they need all kind of people, not just the serious ones.
  12. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Who is to say I don't have one?
  13. Gardavil

Gardavil Cupcake

If I may add to this discussion my own point of view...

Red: It would benefit the WildStar Devs MORE to know why Players REMAIN playing the game rather than try to get the "Leavers" back. There are many, many, reasons why Players stop playing, and many times the Player will be embarrassed for the real reason or feel it's a privacy concern, and they will not tell the Devs or a survey the real reason why they left. A survey can not force the truth out.

A MMO Company should look to it's strengths, not it's weaknesses, in order to prosper. It should focus on why WildStar is played, not why it isn't. To chase the ghosts is a recipe for failure.

As for your finishing question, I agree with you, Carbine needs many different types and kinds of Players for their Beta. I myself would add how I play a MMO, how I look for errors, faults, etc.

Other Players will add there own to mix of Beta, and I believe that is why the invites go far and wide.

However... the entire process (beta invite applications) is inherently flawed when some People will "game the game" with the invite system by submitting multiple applications, sometime thousands of them, to better their chances for an invite. I refuse to do that. I submitted ONE application because I am ONE Player, not thousands. I consider myself a serious mmo beta tester and I would never "pad" my chances to get an invite. When others complain the system is flawed and "doesn't want serious testers" perhaps this is a part of their complaint, a part that remains unspoken. Submitting thousands of apps to get invite isn't about wanting to be a "serious tester", it's a EULA/TOS/Beta violation and some would say borderline criminal.

IMHO If a Player doesn't get invited to WildStar Beta with a single invite Application, then they don't deserve to get an Invite with two or more. Carbine doesn't want that Player, for whatever reason. I haven't gotten an Invite and I still hold to this opinion. Enough said.
  14. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

Another beta key thread.... :down:
  15. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

>=( YOU'RE another beta key thread!
  16. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

From what I have read, Carbine can tell if someone is submitting multiple beta submissions from the same IP address. And I believe that they are not giving invites to anyone with multiple submissions.
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

And Carbine only looks at your IP adress, so 1 invite per IP adress (and they look at your E-mail). So 1 invite per combination of IP-adress and E-mail adress.

Ofcourse some people will have more IP adresses and so they can still get to send in more then one....but then again will you ever be able to make it ''perfect''?
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  18. gabers1

gabers1 Cupcake-About-Town

Although a noob to this forum, I am not a noob to beta testing and my comments are not directed toward anyone specific in this thread.

I would much rather see a noob (which will likely be the majority of the eventual consumer base) doing beta testing than someone that demands they are qualified while exuding a poor attitude. From my personal experience, the noobs with a good attitude are the ones providing constructive feedback and submitting bug reports while the self-proclaimed experts with the poor attitude are the ones spending the majority of time shouting in beta chat about how this or that sucks and how the game will fail.

Based on my experience, I would much rather see the key in the hands of a noob with a positive attitude that will do the testing (which anyone is qualified to do) rather than someone demanding to have a key while exhibiting the red flags of an entitlement pissy attitude.
    The random PR giveaways will very likely result in a variety of testers- noobs as well as those with valuable gaming and/or previous beta experience.
    Why should WSC give me a key? They shouldn't, I should earn it by actively participating in one of the giveaways.
    Eliat_kuni and Taher like this.
  19. Taher

Taher Cupcake

Well said. I hate when people beg for a key, obviously the game looks so awesome but remember the saying: Patience is a virtue. We'll get our keys in due time, just gotta wait and/or fully participate in an official, active beta key giveaway and hope for the best.
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  20. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

Don't want it. I'd burn myself out thoroughly beta testing that thing and I'd probably just give it to a friend if I did get a key.
    Besides, open beta will be soonish and I can play a glorified demo then.
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.