1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"The Captain" class idea

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Corth, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Corth

Corth New Cupcake

Despite a ton of innovation in various areas, it looks like Carbine is sticking to a basic trinity idea with their classes. Of course there are creative tweaks and the DPS role is an option for all characters (a smart move that more mmos have been doing). Because all classes can spec into the dps role from the trinity that has limited them to only 2 combinations: dps/heals; dps/tank.
    I think it would be really interesting if they added "Support" to the roles. Often support gets sub-labeled under "heals" in the trinity. This is limiting. I came up with an idea for a new role combination that WSO could use: DPS/Support

I submit to you: The Captain (DPS/Support)

The thematic idea behind the name being:

for exiles the class is a brash and arrogant ship captain who constantly brags about how fast his ship was and how great a pilot she was etc.

For the dominion it would refer more to miltary rank. The captain would be arrogant stern, belting out orders to teammates.

The support role abilities would be a couple long term buffs but mostly would focus primarily on short duration buffs and enemy debuffs. Other mmos have had this role - I am specifically thinking of bards from EQ1 (im old). The skill would come with twisting buffs and debuffs. Can't you imagine a brash Exile in a captains coat belting boasts to the enemy while encouraging her allies? All the while the captain would also need to do support dps.
    I'm sure you all could come up with weapon combos. For me, I see the Captain as wielding a 1 hand blade in the primary hand and a pistol in the second. I feel this is unique enough from the other classes. The pistol wouldn't be a primary weapon and wouldn't fire spells like the spellslinger.

What do you all think?
  2. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

While I do miss pure support classes, this late in development, I doubt its going to be added. As for the possibility of an expansion class, adding a support class would greatly alter the way fights went, which would require a large overhaul on how combat works in a group and raid setting, which I also dont see happening.
  3. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Welcome to WSC (WildStar Central). Here is a link to the Personal Introductions Forum. You are not required to post there but doing so is a good way to meet some of our friendliest members. Tell Kat I said hi.

Now, as for your idea. I am all for there being non-healing focused support classes in MMOs. But implementing them in WildStar presents some challenges.

Dungeon groups are designed for five players, a tank, a healer, and likely three DPS. Carbine has stated that the dungeons will be challenging. If a support class is playing a support role in a dungeon, who do they replace? DPS is the obvious answer, but are their buffs/debuffs great enough to replace a dedicated DPS? To me that seems unlikely.

WildStar, at present, has six classes. All of them can dps, three can heal, and the other three can tank. Carbine would need to create at least two, but ideally three, DPS-support classes and implement them at the same time. That is a huge burden, not impossible, but very time consuming.

I do not care for "Captain" to be the name of a class. We do not yet know how PvP ranks/titles will be implemented in game. It also seems likely that there will be NPCs with military titles in game. Nor do I especially like the weapons you selected for your class. The Medic(?) class has already received some criticism for their weapons being too similar to Spellslinger pistols. I think a new class, support or otherwise, would be better suited wielding a weapon dissimilar to what we have seen other classes use. A polearm, musical instrument, or book/scroll are the first that come to my mind.
  4. Johnny Bane

Johnny Bane Cupcake

I like it, but I get more of a Mal(from firefly) feel. Maybe tank/support uses one pistol and giving out buffs/ debuffs al the while keeping all adds focused on him.

So he wouldnt hold agro with damage, but with "shout" like moves that make adds do less damage and friends do more.
  5. Corth

Corth New Cupcake

Katu: I doubt they will add dps/support as well. This is wishful thinking on my part - hoping that Carbine considers adding in that role later on. Even SWTOR had DPS/DPS at least. It seems a bit limiting if every class now and forever will either be a tank or heals.

Tribe: I understand what you mean by opportunity cost. I'm not a huge raider so I wasn't thinking too much about the most difficult raids. But, isn't that the point of balancing? Couldn't a support class have abilities that not only would make them viable - but to your point, actually viable as an alternative to another dps. Maybe the relief on healers would be very noticeable in groups with a support class.

Also, do they absolutely have to keep the balance in terms of how many classes each role combo has? Couldn't there be more dps/tanks than, say, dps/heals? Why not just add 1 class at first that's dps/support?

I see what you are saying about the name criticism. My main point was to open a dialogue on the concept of DPS/Support role for the sake of variety. I agree with all of your points as to why a class called "Captain" could be problematic. It just sounded cool in my mind - same with the weapon combo.
  6. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

WSC does not make use of mentions (@username). Make sure you're using the [Reply] button after someone's post if you want them to be aware you have responded. You can reply to multiple users posts in one response. You can also delete some or all of their post(s) in your response, as I have done here signified by "snip" if you want to.

I do not think there has to be an absolute balance to the numbers for each class. But, Carbine have already started that way, so why not try to continue the trend if they can? I think at minimum Carbine should introduce two support classes, if they were going to introduce any, for the sake of variety and to combat the "we have to bring one of X class" because there are no alternatives to it.
  7. CRB_J-Tal

CRB_J-Tal Carbine Studios

Captain?
    [​IMG]

Or Captain?
    [​IMG]
  8. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

I could see a Sword and gun feel from this, support roll focusing on staying further back using medium ranged abilities and buffs, while the dps/tank spec using mainly melee ranged attacks and perhaps ranged taunts.

But I do agree with the concerns others have about how with would work in group settings, how would they balance it with the other class selections, etc.
  9. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

No no you are mistaken of the captain.

[​IMG]
    Vilonic likes this.
  10. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Are they limited to only 2 combinations?
    In one of the early demo vids a W* Dev says that they have a CC heavy Warrior. The Dev could do this because W* has a LAS system that allows the player to select their abilities, and from this
    [​IMG]
    we know that the player gets to select those abilities from Assault, Support, and Utility, and as far as we know the only limit to choice is level. We know that there are Buffs and Debuffs as well as CCs, but we don’t know anything beyond that, so there is nothing to say that a player could not choose to be heavy into Buffs and Debuffs, just as that Dev was heavy into CCs.

My point is that for all we know a “Support” role is already a viable option for the current classes.
  11. Yule

Yule Cupcake

Personally, i despise supportroles/classes. IMO, it is far mote interresting to spread out buffs/debuffs/Raid CDs over all classes as that promotes coordination. You could of course design your character as support-oriented through the LAS and that would be fine IMO, as long as it is a choice and not forced upon you through a dedicated support class.

In essence, scrap pure support classes. Give each class the ability to pick support abilities (partially or fully) and by that way play a support character.

Or, you know, what the poster above me said. Derp me.
  12. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

I haven't played that game for quite a while so maybe things have changed but when I was playing they didn't have a DPS/DSP. Warriors/Knights were DSP/Tank, BH/Soldiers were DPS/Tank, Agents/Smugglers were DPS/Heals and while the Inquisitors/Consulars had a strange set up were you essentially made a permanent choice between what were really two classes smashed into one for early levels Sorcerers/Sages were DPS/Heals and Assasins/Shadows were DPS/Tanks.

But on the actual subject I agree with the two posts above that support (and CC) for that matter are better spread between the three roles than being seperate additional roles. Like Tribe has already stated to balance things out you would need to include an equal amount of DPS/additional role classes as DPS/Heals and DPS/Tank classes and even then it still makes it more difficult to pull togethor the right ingrediants for a group which seems to be a large motivation for making all the classes hybrids. Likewise pure DPS classes completely undermine the concept and result in an unpleasant situation where there is an expectation that hybrid classes should spec for their non-dps role because hey if you wanted to DPS you should have rolled a pure DPS class...no thanks.
  13. Prof. Walrus

Prof. Walrus Cupcake

Honestly I hope this gets added later or in an expansion. I do miss full support classes