1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The difficulty of WildStar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Firmitas, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Killing M'uru before the nerf was one of the biggest nerdgasms I've ever witnessed. I want that feeling again. I want the rush that only comes from taking down a boss with a large group of friends that we spent weeks wiping on and only a select few guilds ever even managed to pull.
    Lethality and JarNod like this.
  2. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Pfft... I don't even care if other guilds have done it years before me... Working on MC and Ragnaros meant that when we finally killed him, my adrenaline was so high that I couldn't sleep that night. I miss that...
    Lethality and Kataryna like this.
  3. oflow

oflow New Cupcake

I raided pretty hardcore in vanilla (I actually got in Naxx in vanilla and also beat AQ40 in vanilla) and I dont necessarily agree with the MoP video. The problem with that design philosophy is that the developers are wasting too many resources making content that doesnt get used.

The biggest problem with WoW isnt that they made the game too easy, the big problem with WoW is that they routinely trivialized content to satisfy the needs of the hardcore. The casuals and the unskilled arent the problem, the hardcore's appetite for devouring content is.

WoW has a ton of great content that most of the player base never really played at the correct difficulty. Instead of making old raids obsolete when they bring out new raids, what they should have done is tune all the raids to max level and require having beat the previous raid to move into the new content.

This would create a sliding scale of endgame players. The hardcore bleeding edge players could then actually work on difficult endgame content (like how raids were in TBC, I know a bunch of endgame players that were stuck for weeks even months on the Eye) while other tiers of players could be working on other previous raids.

But instead, what happened is raids get trivialized by new content like how Ulduar got trivialized.

But maybe add GW2 type level scaling and make players do ALL of the raids in order to advance. This would also increase the player base skill overall and therefore not require developers to dumb down the real endgame.
  4. John

John "That" Cupcake

They trivialized the content to satisfy the people who like hard content? Did I read that right?
  5. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Do you mind explaining this better? It sounds like you're saying that the problem isn't that they made the game too easy, but that they trivialized content (in my mind this reads made it too easy) to satisfy the needs of the hardcore people. It just feels like a contradiction, so I'm hoping you wouldn't mind explaining it better
    Drasas, John and Kataryna like this.
  6. Shadydemise

Shadydemise Cupcake

I interpreted his post differently. I took it to mean that he was criticizing WoW's model of adding new raids. Let's say they create a difficult / interesting raid that is fun for raiders (Molten Core for example). However, what happens to this raid when a new patch/expansion is released? Generally speaking, we get new gear or progress to a higher level and the old stuff is no longer relevant. I believe his point was that trivializing old content is not good for the game. A model where raids scaled upwards whenever something new is released would be an interesting thought. However, by doing this you are even further separating the casuals and the "hardcore" raiders. Perhaps a better model would be to give you the option to scale up raids or to scale down your characters to the equivalent level/gear setting. This would still allow players to experience the content they missed out on by doing it as a higher level or with better gear. Additionally, it would give players the opportunity to try to clear the raids as they were originally intended. Imagine being able to scale your current WoW character to a default level 60 character to raid Naxxramas. While it wouldn't mean anything for current content, it would give players more to do.

I apologize if that's not what oflow intended by his post and welcome him to make any clarifications. That said, what do you guys think of this model? It could be pretty simple to implement if the developers made a default stat rating for each class assuming the player chose that raid mode.
    JarNod likes this.
  7. Brightag

Brightag Cupcake

I'm still confused by his post and hope that he provides clarification. I don't believe he was criticizing WoW for adding new raids. If he was, then his post doesn't make sense as he spoke favorably about TBC which added new raids.

If simply adding new raids trivialized content, then why didn't these problems start in Vanilla or TBC? The actual trivializing started when players were allowed to run non-raid and outdated content for badges/points that could be used to buy current tier raid level gear. A process that you couldn't do before WotLK that was entirely meant for the casual and the unskilled players.

Edit: Correction, I might be mistaken, but the end of TBC may have started us on the road towards badges/points.
  8. Drasas

Yeah, the badge system started in BC, but it didn't get out of control until Sunwell Armory gave out gear better than most tier 5. Allowing the masses to skip an entire tier and missing out on some of the most epic encounters of the game.
  9. Brightag

Brightag Cupcake

Thank you for the clarification. It was Sunwell that was thinking about, but couldn't remember as I took a break from WoW just before it released. I didn't return until WotLK, just before the launch of ToC. Which is why I was confused about oFlow post.

When I returned to WoW, I rolled a Protection Paladin, joined a guild, and hit level 80 just before ICC was about to launch. When I asked the guild about their raid schedule for running players through old raids, they told me to just use LFD to gain badges to buy my Tier 9. The only time I was ever able to see the old raids was during the weekly raid for badges as most people who ran the whole raid did it for achievements and wouldn't run with me unless I was over-geared. But if I'm over-geared, where is the challenge?

To make a long story short, I was very confused and disheartened by how different WoW was compared to when I left.
    Drasas likes this.
  10. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Cupcake

Beautiful! Yup on the money. Selfless intent that really has been lost.
    Drasas likes this.
  11. Drasas

Before Sunwell Armory you had guilds at every stage of the tier raids progressing through. After Sunwell Armory people jumped right into BT and Hyjal completely ignoring tier 5. They relied on Kara and ZA for badges. It set a terrible precedent that the brilliant folks at Blizzard have kept in place since. Bring back attunements, bring back tiered progression. No more of this skipping nonsense.

If letting people see the content was the goal then why was Ulduar EMPTY beyond the occasional free 310% mount run (should have removed that one too after it was no longer current tier)? They had easier gear from TOGC and badges. No need to run the last quality dungeon Blizzard managed to produce. Let's get the free loot from TOGC! The masses don't want the content. They want the gear. LFR only proves the point.

Tiered progression, complex encounters, basic attunements such as killing the last boss in the previous tier in order to move forward. Raiding for raiders these are the things I support.
  12. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Cupcake

Yeah what has always separated the MMORPG genre to most games is the huge progression and farms, not through content, but through attainable in-game items to progress the MAIN THING we all play in MMORPG's, our characters, lol. Look at all these devs taking that a way from us.