1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The dilema of questing vs instance content

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Skreamed, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Skreamed

Skreamed New Cupcake

A little bit of a winge (in a kinda good way)

Loving playing now we are live, but I'm struggling a bit with my own disipline. I want to lvl to cap asap, due to slightly limited play time, so should really concentrate of questing up. However I am also going to main a HealSlinger once I cap, so want (possibly need) to run the instances as training on my chosen role.
    Thats quite a timesink, with low xp rewards.
    You lot think i should just skip the instances for now, lvl to cap, then jump in at the deep end so to say?
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

If you are a MMO player and if you've done your share of MMO's and other games then YES!

If you are a complete newbie and find the controls of WS to be difficult, then mayby you could use some early training.

I'd skip it though.
  3. Skreamed

Skreamed New Cupcake

Ye, I've played my share over the years, was hardcore during TBC WoW in a top 500 worldwide guild. Not done a bunch of healing though, and the instance's are good fun :)
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

No offence....but if this all is true, why even ask this?

You'd know the answer yourself :p

You know that little voice in your head? Try listening to it sometimes! (except when it says bad things!!! Then it's just a little pesy shrunken Aurin that entered your head!)
  5. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

You can get to level cap then que yourself for non-veteran dungeons and use that as your training. It will help get you familiar with the content and encounters. You will learn to notice when a boss's attack is coming, when it cannot be interrupted, and when to really be prepared for healing. It also helps you see where the tank and DPS people are likely to stand or dodge to which will help your aiming.

Like right now? My experience in adventures as DPS has been...terrible. Tanks who don't take their tanking stance are there or threat generating abilities. Healers complaining about tanks running away from healing telegraphs. Esper healers who spam mind over body until they're out of focus.

On the other hand my best and most successful experiences have been when I was the healer. I used the time I had in open beta to practice. I conserve focus with an assault builder before using a 5 point mending banner on the tank and it helps for when the tank wants to run away from me since mending banner is a targeted heal.
  6. Skreamed

Skreamed New Cupcake

Ye, I prolly should just grind to cap, and then go from there. I think the conflict comes from the fact I'm gonna main healer for the first time ever, and the first instance I did healing was a massive learning curve for me.
  7. Domi Dayglow

I suggest that you take yourself to level cap, then.....

Que yourself for the first dungeon (non-veteran). Take one or two healing abilities, and que for DPS. During that adventure practicing using those heals as you need. Basically, you're taking up holes from the main healer. Then after once or twice, que as the main healer. After a couple of times, try Stormtalon's lair.

Even now on adventures if I'm DPS, I still take reverie. It's a very good AoE heal for those scary moments.
  8. Skreamed

Skreamed New Cupcake

Update!

So yesterday I decided to get my grind on. Stormed through whitevale, and got from 20-29. Decided at that point to treat myself and do a dungeon. Had the biggest dick of a tank in my grp, which had apparently gone through 3 healers already, and his constant <REDACTED>ing and trolling quite annoyed me so i took the "keep quiet and just get through this, dont even reply to him" approach. Finished the dungeon with just a few wipes, mainly due to aforementiond tank.
    Ye, gonna stick to the grind until cap now, unless my rl mates or guild want to run an instance.
  9. Skreamed

Skreamed New Cupcake

On the plus side, the grind of the day did show me that lvling to cap shouldnt take me too long. Got 2 days off work this week. wont be able to play all that time due to having my son to look after and giving my missus a break, but I think I should hit over lvl 40 by wednesday evening :)
  10. Domi Dayglow

That's kind of been my experience with groups so far too. It's kind of like people don't really understand. Telegraphs are bad, don't stand in them. If you are going to be a tank, use a tanking stance. If you are going to heal, learn to manage your focus. If you are going to DPS, have interrupts and use them.
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

But...but.....
    Don't we all like to hug those telegraphs?
    Also people are just cosumed to games that have no need for mana management. So why manage the focus? :p

I think it'll take some while before most people are accostumed to WS.