1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Engineer

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Jabberwocky, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

So it turns out that the Engineer class is a dedicated pet class.

I would just like to laugh in the face of everyone who complained about pet classes and said they would never be in the game.

Now be ready to be shot in the face by my big ass rifle while my pets rip your limbs from your body.

[​IMG]
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Wauw! a whole thread to get your right............I would've done the same ;)

Anyway....what do you consider a ''Dedicated'' pet class??

Seeing as they have already stated you can also just build (tiering/AMP's) to be as effective (if not better) without those pets.
    A hunter in WoW couldn't never really go without his pet at all....it was a way too big part of his damage in raids etc.

If it doesn't matter if you have the pet skills or not to be able to top the DPS lists in raids, then in MY eyes it's not a ''dedicated'' pet class.
  3. Agneos

Agneos Cupcake

You're only half correct. With the AMP system and the way the skill bar works, Engineers don't have to have any bots out to still do well as DPS or Tank.
  4. Jabberwocky

Read this article if you haven't already.

Also, I don't care about being the top DPS in raids, I care more about being the most skilled at my class.

EDIT: Oops! Forgot this link, LOL! http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=33463
    runamonk likes this.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Read it + all those others from other side's.

Again I ask for YOUR definition of ''dedicated'' class.

In my eye's it would be that the engineer would ALWAYS have atleast 1 pet out at all times. Since you can run with no pets aswell I don't consider it a ''dedicated'' class.

Rather seems to me you can ''choice'' to commit to pet's. But then is it a ''dedicated'' pet class?

I'd say not.
  6. Agneos

Agneos Cupcake

He's right. Like I said, Engineer doesn't HAVE to have any bots out to still do his job. Therefore, he isn't a dedicated pet class.
  7. Jabberwocky

The Engineer is meant to focus on utilizing it's pets so that is what makes it a dedicated pet class.

I don't know about nowadays, but back in the day you were not allowed to use pets on raids in World of Warcraft and the top raid guilds in EverQuest still don't allow pet classes to bring pets on raids. Without their pets, they could still break into the top 5 DPS in raids.

If you really want to nitpick, there is no dedicated class when it comes to ANY class in WildStar. The option to play that way is there, though.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Wait!!!!
    Can you say that again?
    :inlove:
    Agneos likes this.
  9. Agneos

Agneos Cupcake

No.
    Extatica likes this.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well I admit in vanilla I didn't really looked at hunters at all, since I hate the class (still do).

But in TBC till now (I think till now...haven't played since Cata came) hunters used their pet's, so hunters in WoW can be considered a dedicated pet class.

Engineer in WS will not be considered that by the true meaning of the word. It's not nit-picking. It's saying people use words they shouldn't :p

Atleast say something along these lines:
    An engineer CAN BE a dedicated pet class if you specc into it. (then I wouldn't have said anything ;))

It's like saying a mage is always a dedicated frost class.......completely ignoring the fact you also have arcane/fire specc (and in some expansions a hybrid form).
    CptElendi, Skippy and Agneos like this.
  11. Giruvegan

Giruvegan New Cupcake

Yeah, the pets are essentially skills, you can choose to roll with them or you can choose to roll with something else. not at all like wow hunters.

and I love that they made them that way
  12. Dongabhana

Dongabhana New Cupcake

Muse = Torchligt 2 - Engineer pets, skills etc? :)
  13. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

The nice thing about Wildstar LAS system is that it still lets us choose to play our engineer as a dedicated pet class. But should also keep in mind that I believe the engineer can only have two pets out at a time. It would be a little different if all four robots could be out at once. Until the official release page on the website is up, or until a livestream comes, we aren't even 100% sure the pets don't have a timer. It could be once you activate the robot it's active for 1 minute, but has a 2 minute cooldown. If that's the case, people could indeed slot all four pets into their LAS, and rotate them to keep two up at a time.

A couple other classes have the ability to create temporary pets. The Esper can make bunches. Even the stalker can make a duplicate of themselves. These all work on a short timer principle, being active for maybe 20 seconds, and having a longer cooldown.

Personally, I hope it's a Robot out all the time thing. I could see people making a mostly Tank Engineer and using the pets as either additional support for themselves or as a source of damage. Alternatively, an Enigeer could devote their LAS and robots to full damage.
  14. Argonic

Argonic New Cupcake

Permanent pets according to this article.
    They will take a LAS spot, but when they are deployed that slot turns into an active ability for the pet with cooldown. Once dead, it reverts back to summon command with a 15s cooldown.

They just forgot some air quotes when saying "dedicated". More along the mines of "Only class that can have pets out 100% of the time."

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/feature/8002/WildStar-Engineer-and-Medic-Revealed.html

"The Engineer’s bots make it the only ‘pure’ pet class in WildStar, and come in four different flavors. While it might be tempting to walk around with a gang of mechanical friends, bear in mind that only two can be in use at a time, and each one will take up a spot on your Limited Action Set. To make up for it, a bot’s button will also issue it with a command once it’s been deployed.
    These are permanent pets, remaining by the Engineer’s side in Nexus until they’re either dismissed or destroyed. A pet bar provides control of both ‘bots in tandem, with all of the usual pet controls such as attacking a specific target or waiting in position. I’m told that they can also be set to aggressive, defensive or passive, in much the same way as pets in other MMOs.... And, when one of your electronic buddies dies, there’s a 15 second cooldown before you can bring him back."
  15. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

That's pretty disappointing. would rather they balance it so all 4 could be out.
    I mean it would be much better, have 4 drones do small individual dps a target than say 2 'heavy hitters"
  16. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Well personally i see it as the dedicated pet class because currently it is the only class in the game that can have permanent pets in and out of battle, yes they give you the viable option of playing without pets but its also the only class that CAN have perma-pets :)
  17. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

That sounds like a cool idea, but the problem is that they're not all for dps. One is a tank, one is a healer, one is a dps and one is a cc/dot field bot. They're designed to function as more than just a brute squad, but as a *ahem* "well oiled machine".
  18. Mellkor

I don't like to reference wow, But their shamans had a pretty good template for this.
  19. Agneos

Agneos Cupcake

They all do different things though. They're not just random drones, each has a specific purpose and a roll.
  20. Mellkor

Right, But maybe dps could specialize into that?.
    Also, having 4 out at once even if they fill individual rolls can be balanced.