1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Female Draken Thread (images, specualtion, discussion, blood wine with a side of fresh meat)

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Jynetik, Apr 2, 2013.

1. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Probably not. The Draken and Mikros, like the Krogan and Tuchanka, are used to the hostile environments and abundance of predators being all the population control you'll ever need; I doubt they'd suddenly decided they need to control their growth.

Besides, also like the Krogan, Draken rarely, if ever, die of natural causes...
    Sonntam and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Good point. Being shock troops of the Dominion probably helps preserve that norm too. Not to mention their women seem to be accepted as combatants as well which naturally helps in population control. :p
    Sarpadon likes this.
  3. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Mikros is the Draken homeworld. Tuchanka is the Krogan homeworld from the Mass Effect series, if anyone was wondering.
  4. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

From what I can tell from the Draken lore (and con footage) the draken women aren't just accepted as combatants, they lead it (mostly)

They're like Lions, sure the guy lions are big and dangerous, but the females do all the hunting and killing

(which is why their Conan the barbarian slave woman attire and posing baffles me)
    Jynetik likes this.
  5. ruff_ethereal

Lionesses are still under the command of the pride's lead Lion. No matter how deadly and dangerous the female Draken are, they don't question the authority of their leaders.

A Clanlord got to his position, most likely, by slaughtering hundreds of thousands of prey and worthy opponents, or if he's impatient, besting his predecessor in a one-on-one duel. The Clanlord is, then, the most powerful Draken in their group.

And female Draken love a powerful male.
    Jynetik likes this.
  6. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Yep, the female Draken seem to be every bit as engaged with hunting and killing and generally being ruthless warriors as their male counterparts which is really cool. One thing to remember is that male Draken, like male Lion's aren't exactly lazy fat slouches, they are big and powerful for a number of reasons, one such reason is fighting among themselves for that "Alpha" position within the tribe / clan. It's a key aspect of Draken society and shouldn't be dismissed so quickly.

I can actually kind of explain the Conan the Barbarian slave woman attire (cool reference btw). So as you already stated female Draken can be really bada** warriors and hunters and often do the lion's share (lol!) of the hunting while the males vie for power and dominance. This is really cool because it shows that the female Draken are strong and cunning, enough so that the arguably more powerful males don't need to hunt for them, fight for them, or defend them from harm. This image below is a picture of a Draken Huntress in Deradune in typical huntress attire.

[​IMG]

However despite the fact that female Draken can be hunters and warriors that is not all that they can be which is something I really appreciate. Female Draken can hold a number of jobs and positions within Draken culture, this image for example is of a female Draken merchant and craftsmen. She likely crafts her own goods with skills that she has acquired and works to benefit herself and her clan. Again, intelligence, independence, self-actualization, freedom to pursue goals and have their own means says a lot about female Draken and their role in Draken society.

[​IMG]

Oh did I mention that female Draken can also be full members of the Dominion military and can fly spacecraft?

[​IMG]

At last we come to the scantily-clad Draken in the Clan Lord's Harem. I should probably clarify that as "supposed harem" since we have no concrete proof that this is a harem (although it probably totally is). Regardless I have absolutely no problem with this. Why? Because it's an additional layer of depth and interest in the female Draken equation. Here you have a species that has massive sexual dimorphism yet the primary hunters and a large number of the warriors are females. You have a culture where only males can lead but female Draken can learn skills, craft and sell goods, and work for their own betterment and the betterment of their clan. A culture where some female Draken lounge around in skimpy princess Leia slave-gear (star wars reference!) as supposed sex objects for the clan-lord, yet other female Draken are flying through the cosmos piloting complex spacecraft.

[​IMG]

Female Draken are anything but simple and have a lot of depth and quirks to them which I absolutely adore. I could be angry or baffled by their overtly forced sexual overtones and seemingly oppressed state within Draken culture if not for all that they are capable of and all that they take part in. Female Draken are powerful, intelligent, driven, and yeah a bit sexual but I feel that their flaws, and the flaws of the Draken species overall make them more interesting and more compelling.

As far as the metal bikinis and skins, that overall just seems to be Draken attire, for both sexes. The males wear very little as well, neither sex seems to interested in encumbering themselves with lots of clothing unless it's a Dominion outfit, or super-heavy armor.

I agree with all of this except for that last bit, and even then it's just the wording. Draken culture is rooted very heavily in tradition with a heavy dose of religion and ancestor worship in there for good measure. All Draken look up to the powerful clan lord out of tradition and respect, respect that has been earned through bloody combat. It's not so much about love or infatuation or some kind of power-lust as it is tradition and "the way things are". Female Draken don't tend to question leadership because they have no place in the leadership structure. It is up to the other males to judge if the clan lord or other leader figure is fit for leadership and if not attempt to depose him, key word being "attempt".

I am sure that power and position are sexy in Draken culture, just wanted to clear up that Female Draken don't have highschool cheerleader syndrome where they are just so head-over-heels in love with powerful males that they mindless obey them. It's more of a cultural thing where it isn't their place to become involved. Their place is out on the field of battle, or deep in the wilds killing things. Political games are below them.
    Siflay and Sarpadon like this.
  7. Khasar

Khasar New Cupcake

Just Love the first two images of how she looks! Especially the first one, that hair style and the look on her face holding a kick ass two-handed sword O_O
    Jynetik likes this.
  8. ruff_ethereal

Original statement edited for accuracy! Thanks for the awesome analyses, Jyn!
    Jynetik likes this.
  9. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

I've seen quite a couple screenshots with Draken males in similar attire.

For example here we see that the chest piece consists out of straps and boob holder identical to the one Draken females wear. (The neck piece is the same as well.)

[​IMG]

Perhaps a better example, since here you see that the male Draken and the female Draken in the back wear completely identical armor.

[​IMG]

So I suppose that's traditional Draken armor and not specific to any gender.
  10. OmniStorm

OmniStorm New Cupcake

I think there's I big difference from serving your “clan” and being a part of the “dominion galactic military!”
    WS_2013-02_Draken_5-540x303.png
    Wans your apart of the dominion military your under there rules (like in all modern military) and if you can prove yourself capable in leading, piloting, planning (and more) than you can gat promoted to a higher rank.
    wildstar-cassians-001-540x301.jpg
    The dominion comes first (if that’s not obvious) and if you want power or a high position in the dominion military and your not going to let people get in your way (through intimidation, political intrigue and a score of impressive military conquests) than “yes” you can be whatever in the dominion military regardless of race (draken) or "gender." (female draken)
    54645364536435.jpg
  11. Shahdee

Shahdee New Cupcake

Wow the clan lord is huge compared to the females next to him. Sexual dimorphism seems to be very prominent in drakens. Im guessing males are twice as heavy and strong than females.

But I think it's nice that female drakens can serve in the military instead of just having to stay at home doing household chores.
  12. Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar Cupcake

Thanks to this thread if my guild goes Dominion I'm definitely going FemDrak! Woo!
    Jynetik likes this.
  13. Tiiria

Tiiria Cupcake

Watched this thread for the epicness. Ever since I first saw pictures of female draken, I've loved them. And finding out about how their societies probably work is really interesting. They're by far my favorite race in this game. So complex. So harem. So lion. And Lion King is my favorite movie in the world. I'd love to see more stuff on these lovely ladies. Expect some female draken fanart from me sometime in the future. I'll be sure to post both in my own thread and here so the thread watchers can see it easy. ;D

Oh, and (edit) the race reminds me of draenei from WoW. The appearance anyway, the lore is way different. The females are of similar body shape and carry themselves similarly, they've got horns and tails, and the males look more buff and inhuman. There's less correlation between the males of the two races. But females definitely show a resemblance. They're draenei but better (longer tail, better lore, more color variety, no hooves, cooler horns...)
    Fox Spirit and Jynetik like this.
  14. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Hey there Tiiria thanks for stopping by! The female Draken / female Draenei connection wasn't lost on me either, part of the reason that I love them as much as I do. Can't wait to see whatever female Draken fan art you come up with, all of it is appreciated here.
  15. Fox Spirit

Fox Spirit Cupcake

After an extended break from waiting impatiently for this game, I come back, and I am still in love with the Draken. :inlove:

And yeah, I think the Draenei tie-in is part of my reason for loving them... but I liked the hooves on the draenei. o3o It made them more unique than just giving them feet.
    Jynetik likes this.
  16. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

I get the feeling that the chain of command for Draken clans works the same as it does on a Klingon warship. If you want to ascend you kill your way to the top.
    Jynetik and ruff_ethereal like this.
  17. Death

Death Cupcake-About-Town

Patiently waiting for Jynetik's thorough as ever break down of the spellslinger Draken goodies I just saw... ;)
  18. Micromadsen

Micromadsen New Cupcake

Well I just saw what I'm going to play as, unless one of the last two classes completely wows me. Though I'm pretty sure I'll roll a female Draken either way just because they are amazing, femenine yet strong looking and kinda cute aswell. (Not meant in a creepy way)
    Jynetik likes this.
  19. Tiiria

Tiiria Cupcake

I KNOW they're amazing and we should all fangasm over them. :inlove: - I bet the last two classes are gonna be pretty fricking brilliant, though. But spellslinger will be awesome too.
    Siflay, ruff_ethereal and Micromadsen like this.
  20. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Spellslinger Class Drop Breakdown
    Hey there guys, pretty dry week last week thankfully this week more than makes up for it. There are actually quite a few female Draken that showed up this week with some new character options and some neat combinations. I went ahead and grabbed everything that I thought was important so let's go ahead and get into it.​
    --- --- ---​
    So today's reveal was a small treasure trove of female Draken character options. We have a couple of new things to discuss, as well as some much needed better looks at some established character options. To start this all off is this amazing image showing a sand colored female Draken wielding a pair of awesome mag pistols.​
    This image contains...​
    1 New Hairstyle​
    1 New Skin Color​
    1 New Horn Style​
    1 New Face Style​
    1 New Character Feature: JEWELRY!!!!
    [​IMG]

Not only did the warrior drop reveal to us that eye color is a female Draken character option, but now we finally have confirmation that jewelry will be as well. I just want to take a second to say... I KNEW IT. This may not actually be a new face, it's very likely that this is the same face that was in the thumbnail from the warrior Drop but regardless it is our first look at this face as part of the whole package and it is awesome looking. Short horns have been kind of sort of spotted in the past in blurry screenshots but again, full look at them and while I am not a huge fan of them they look quite nice. The sandy colored skin is also a cool addition, quite strikingly there are no facial markings or patterns with this skin color.​
    --- --- ---​
    The Dev Speak featured quite a few female Draken many of which have new options. This first set of two images contains a pair of female Draken, one warrior and one spellslinger.​
    These images contain...​
    2 New Hair Colors​
    Both female Draken appear to share the same face which i can't quite if it is a new face or not. What I do know for certain is that we have never seen female Draken with grey or red hair before and it looks amazing! I also want to point out the green skinned Draken in the background with the crazy stripes. While that is not a new find it is still really cool and it is nice to finally be able to see it from the front like this.​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our second set of images is a three part series showcasing a very dark skinned female Draken Spellslinger doing battle with a monkey of some kind.​
    These images contain...​
    1 New Skin Color​
    We have never seen a female Draken with skin this dark before, it's some kind of slightly iridescent blue / black and it is so cool! I imagine it helps her blend into the night quite well. her hairstyle is the same creepy kerrigan-esque spines and webbing ponytail that we have seen before, and she has the same short horns from up above. I just wanted to say as well that I love the way that female Draken hold their mag pistols.​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nothing entirely new in this image, just a cool combination of elements that we have already seen. Blonde hair, that same long-bangs hairstyle from the Paths video, forward swept horns and the light skin color.​
    [​IMG]
    Finally our last image of the night, a really cool shot of a dark skinned female Draken Spellslinger. Here is a great shot of the ever popular quad-horn configuration and the addition of the grey hair. Again I love the pose, definitely going to have to make a female Draken spellslinger at some point.​
    [​IMG]
    --- --- ---​
    Alright guys that's all I've got for this week, lots of new reveals and they are coming faster and faster, seems like things are finally starting to get serious at Carbine. Can't wait to see what next week has in store for us... Anyway as always let me know what you guys think!​
    Ianpact, Fox Spirit, Mordakai and 6 others like this.