1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Female Draken Thread (images, specualtion, discussion, blood wine with a side of fresh meat)

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Jynetik, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Shahdee

Shahdee New Cupcake

Sexual dimorphism is pretty prominent among Draken. Males are huge and monstrous compared to the females. The most fit females look very slim, with tiny arms and legs, which leads me to believe they cant develop big muscles like the males can.

The Draken are obviously inspired by lions. The role of the male is to protect the clan from not just other animals, but from other lions as well. Since for that you need power, size and strength, the responsibility falls on the male lions. The Draken society, also, follows this pattern.

I seriously doubt female Draken will be able to intimidate or demand respect from their fellow males in a similar fashion another male would by virtue of size and ferocity alone. She might be the best warrior of the clan, but for the Draken that doesn't seem to make up for her smaller size or lack of strength.

My 2 cents, adjusted for inflation.
  2. Rial

Rial Cupcake

Na, Draken women look that way so people can fap to them, just like all the other females in W*.
  3. Nimiar

Nimiar New Cupcake

I'm fairly disappointed in the Draken females... because I was really hoping they would stay more beastly and less pretty. For me the problem lies mostly in the body shape and posture in comparison to the cool and deadly looking males.

I would have loved to see the females use the same sort of skeletal structure as the males - that more crouched, ready-to-spring stance. And then also make their physical build more about strength and lithe, vicious power. Looking at the female Draken bodies right now, I sort of wonder if it is even a functional creature.

I really appreciated the female Charr in GW2 because they were designed to be a slimmer version of the beastly males. The way they did it was super classy. It looked believable that they were the same race.

I would love to see WildStar do this, but it's probably pretty late in the design process for a full body-type change like that. It's just my wistful wish.
    Ianpact likes this.
  4. Anorissa

Anorissa Cupcake

I think that scarier, hunched over females should be an option that players could choose from. I happen to like the sleek and sexy look of the female draken, its them that first brought me to this game (I saw art of one and was like "O.M.G, what game is that awesomeness from?!" but I don't think that, if they were real, all of them would look like that. Giving players more than one option is always good.

I highly doubt they'd put the option in at this point though, due to time limits. Or, if they'd put that option in at all. Wildstar has an art style that they are not wavering from in the slightest, and I don't think hunched-over females fits that art style.

Personally, I think they should leave the female draken alone. Sure, adding more faces/hairstyles/bodytypes would be cool, but they should leave the current faces and body shape in. I'm just terrified of another Worgen-female scenario.
    Nimiar likes this.
  5. OutlawStars

OutlawStars New Cupcake

I'd have liked them to be more bestial and less human looking, but maybe the models will be better ingame than what I've seen.
  6. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I personally would just like "more" out of the female Draken, what we have seen of character creation so far from the beta via the NDA lift is pretty disappointing, very few options. I'd like to see more hairstyles, more faces (both more bestial faces and pretty faces) and more horns!

As far as the posture thing that argument has been had at least once in the previous 30+ pages of this thread. I personally did not like the way that the female Charr were handled in Guild Wars 2. I know that the design is held up as some kind of awesome logical design without any of the usual stereotypical female design tropes but It just didn't hook me. The female Charr were just male Charr that were 10% smaller with less aggressive and interesting features. I understand that this design makes sense on some kind of weird video game creature biology level but it just wasn't interesting to me.

In a perfect world we would have body types or pretty potent sliders that would allow us to mold our characters to more suit what we would like from them but as we don't I feel that the body type and animation set that the female Draken currently have works just fine.
    Siflay likes this.
  7. Rial

Rial Cupcake

This "weird video game creature biology" you mention was far more close to real life biology than the Draken are. As far as real life mammals go, human sexual dimorphism is rather extreme, and we're nothing compared to Draken. Is your view on sexual dimorphism already that tainted by video games?
  8. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

"Wierd" in that case was more talking about trying to apply real world biology to completely fictional video game creatures in an attempt to make them appear more realistic. Also my view on sexual dimorphism isn't at all "tainted" by video games, its unfortunate that you decided to word that as some kind of jab at me and my personal opinions. I personally don't really see the point or the need to try to apply real world biology to fictional video game aliens. Video games are a great medium through which to explore all kinds of crazy possibilities, or in Wildstar's case apply tried and true comic book, cartoon, and anime archetypes and design tropes to a brand new setting with new creatures.

If you are not a fan of these archetypes that is fine, but they are no less valid than what guild wars 2 did with the Charr. It is just a different direction with different motives in mind. I personally didn't really care for the attempted realistic rendering of giant cat-people, I had to suspend enough disbelief as it was to accept the world of Tyria and all of it's magical craziness that real world feline-typical female Charr didn't move me. But other people loved it, as again taste is subjective.

In an overaching sense I am really happy with the approach that Carbine has taken with their designs, they appear to be pretty polarizing where people tend to love them or hate them which is great. The worst thing you can do is to be boring, and the surest way to fail is to try to please everyone, and these designs certainly aren't that. I am pretty thrilled that the male Draken and the female Draken are set so far apart in terms of design, it makes each of them stand out and in my mind at least provides you with greater choice when you pick your Draken's gender.

Our views on this matter are obviously pretty different and we each see different things in the Draken I hope I was able to make my statement a bit more clear.
  9. Ysme

Ysme Cupcake

More draken in the customisation vid

See 0:42 -43

Jynetik likes this.
  10. Shahdee

Shahdee New Cupcake

Well I just read the entire 31 pages and I can see why feminist may feel offended by males being portrayed as uber alpha and macho while females seem to be more submissive and weaker.

What I dont understand is why some females want fictional characters to look and behave like males. I've never seen a guy saying "oh, I wish male members of X race were more feminine and delicate". From my perspective it just looks like some females don't like being females. Seems like self-hatred.
  11. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Like it or not, our society extols "male" traits of dominance, control, and raw strength. Most of us come from heavily patriarchal cultures.

Also, I don't believe it's self-hatred so much as we only ever see feminine and delicate females. Always the damsel in distress, always the love interest, never the hero.
  12. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Find the female Draken!

[​IMG]
  13. Anorissa

Anorissa Cupcake

2nd one from the right (#7)
  14. Shahdee

Shahdee New Cupcake

My point was, females need not be physically portrayed as male-like for them to be badass. Slender bodies, breasts and smaller muscles are female characteristic. Females should not be portrayed as physically imposing and as muscular as males because males will always be bigger and stronger. It's like trying to beat males at their own game and trying to be more male than the males themselves. Can anyone else see the stupidity and the futility in this?

Instead, why not focus on female traits that differentiate females from males and work on that?
  15. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

stong lady.jpg

bet she's bigger than u :cool:
  16. Shahdee

Shahdee New Cupcake

Unless she is 1.90 and weights 187 pounds, I doubt it.

But you seem to be missing the point. Sure there are women out there that are stronger than some men. But the strongest woman will never be as strong as the strongest man. That's why we have separate sex competitions in most sports. For example, it would be dumb to pit in a cage the best male MMA fighter against the best female MMA fighter. Or to have single-sex javelin or discus throwing in the Olympics.
  17. Dist

Dist Cupcake

<Mod Beard>
    Please stop going round and round in circles about gender stereotypes. Keep in mind that this is a game, it has its own artistic style so is not limited to following what may be the case in real-life.
    </Mod Beard>
    Siflay and Ianpact like this.
  18. Lanaya

Lanaya Cupcake

Will the Female draken be bit more muscular?
    I might play a warrior/stalker would be great there bit more athletic body
  19. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

As far as I know, what you see (in the various videos and screen shots) is what you will get.
  20. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

[​IMG]

Costumes and a whole bunch of other stuff aren't working properly in Beta right now but rest assured I have a lot of Draken goodness to share, this is just a small start until I get some more time on my hands.
    Kataryna, Ianpact and Death like this.