1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Female Draken Thread (images, specualtion, discussion, blood wine with a side of fresh meat)

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Jynetik, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Rai

Rai Cupcake-About-Town

Jynetik - again, awesome work!! :inlove: it!
    Now go rest! :D
    Jynetik likes this.
  2. Immaculata

Immaculata Cupcake

A fine display of cunning and intellect, a clear choice for the Dominion. - Ms M

Amazing art Jynetik and fun story! ^.^
    Jynetik likes this.
  3. Críostóir

Críostóir Cupcake-About-Town

Absolutely adored this comic - keep up the fantastic work, Jynetik!
    Jynetik likes this.
  4. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

And so Little Huntress is back. And might I say, her personal interpretation of her "hunts" are amazing, dramatic, and thrilling, and the reality of it all was adorable and positively hilarious.

Keep up the good work, Jynetik.
  5. ZuberiGF

ZuberiGF New Cupcake

Sooooo I have a question. What kind of plants do female Draken keep in their garden? :confused:
  6. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Ever seen "Little Shop of Horrors!"?
  7. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

HOLY FRACK Jynetik, that was epic! :roflamo:

"It takes two points to make a line", or so they say; and now we have that second point ;). I love how this comic initially appears unrelated to your previous one, and then ties in unexpectedly at the end! It's both awesome and adorable! :D

The art's great, as always; you have a style that lends itself so well to the stories you tell! I especially love your poses, like the way that Aurin's running away! :laugh:

Fantastic work as always! :up:

It got a little overshadowed by your comic, but I just wanted to say that this is possibly the greatest sentence I have ever read. :p
    Jynetik and ruff_ethereal like this.
  8. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Again guys, thank you so much for all the responses! You guys really make all the sleepless nights working on these comics worth it, and you can expect more in the future!

I thought I'd take a minute to talk about how this piece was developed. So I am sure that (hopefully) most of you got that this latest comic was a recreation of the raptor hunting scene from the 1993 Steven Spielberg film "Jurassic Park". Evion had mentioned this scene earlier in the thread which paired with watching this great movie recently got the ball rolling. I knew that I wanted to tie it in with the first comic to build some continuity, as well I thought it would be funny and cute to see that the whole thing was just one little girl's imagination at work. So I actually designed the last panel first and then retroactively went about recreating the raptor hunting scene. In order to make the comic really mirror the scene from the movie and have good flow I went back to film and captured a few dozen screens from important moments and compiled them in a word document. I then went through the various images that I had captured and weeded out redundant or weaker stills until I got my 20 or so core frames. I then took each frame and assigned it a panel in the comic and linked various dialog and action notes to each panel. This then became my storyboard and master document that I would refer back to as I was working on the comic.

The first thing I did was lay out perspective lines and key markers on a low opacity layer, things like horizon lines, character interactive objects, the placement of the ship as well as direction arrows for how various elements would move from one panel to the next. With this layer in place I then roughly sketched in my characters and props and blocked out where I wanted the dialog bubbles to go to make sure that I wasn't going to lose a lot of scene detail when those were added in later. With the character and prop sketches done I started on the jungle which turned out to be a monumental pain (I never want to draw trees ever again). The hard part initially was trying to figure out how to draw the jungle backgrounds with enough detail and color, yet allow me to finish the comic by my deadline which was Saturday morning (I started work on this comic on Wednesday). When I finally had my basic jungle design down I spent the next 8 hours creating various backgrounds for the panels. If you look closely enough you will notice some cheating, some panels share backgrounds, some have backgrounds that are just flipped versions of other backgrounds, lots of use of zooming in / out to make the backgrounds appear different, etc...

The final few steps took the longest, I had to clean up my sketch layers (to an extent, I had a really tough deadline to meet), color in all of the characters and props (which took forever), add a basic 1-tone shading layer, add in a couple of highlights, do a polish pass on the jungle backgrounds, tweak foreground object placement and adjust colors, and then add in text bubbles.

And that is how "Clever Girl" came to be.

--- --- ---​
    Getting back to actually talking about the Draken do you guys think that Draken would hunt in packs or would they be mostly solitary? I actually tend to think it would be solitary. You can't really prove your worth as a hunter very well if you are always hunting with others, you cannot claim kills as your own if it was a group effort, as well you can't really claim trophies either when it was disputed who did what during the hunt. That might change for really large and hard to kill prey, idk. What do you guys think?​
  9. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Head-canon: practical, "Food Store" hunts are done in groups to ensure that they have food on the table. Personal, "Glory" hunts are mostly done solitary, with game outside the usual fare like predators that may not taste all that good, but whose pelts make interesting conversation piece--among other things.
    Jynetik likes this.
  10. InnocentCivilian

Wow, thanks for sharing that behind-the-scenes! The amount of thought and planning you put into producing your stuff is so high! I mean seriously, the amount of conceptualising and even pre-visualising you do is just staggering! :eek:

But the results are clearly worth it! :up:

The one-tone shading maybe 'basic', but it really suits your style of comic very well. ^_____^

As for your lore question, I tend to imagine they'd be lone hunters who pride themselves on individual achievement. :p But like ruff_ethereal said, I don't think they're above grouping up when situations demand. ;)

Also, canon-wise, I'd like to think that Clan Lord Makaza intended Metal Maw to be tackled by multiple hunters. ^___^
    Jynetik likes this.
  11. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

So my question is this.

Will they avoid the whole "females wear armor that is like the wearer begging to be gutted" while "males wear actually practical armor" deal with Drakken? Cause early pictures are not hopeful... males tend to wear shirts for a start.
    Jynetik likes this.
  12. InnocentCivilian

I'm almost certain that female Draken will be fully dressed to kill!

The females we've seen are just NPCs; it's hard to do lots of impressive armour variations if all you're wearing is a metal bikini :p.

As player characters, I'm sure female Draken will get just as much clothing as their male counterparts! Also, in NPC-land, we do have those female Draken pilots in their flight suits ^_^.

ALSO ALSO, here's what is presumably a player-controlled female Draken (on the right) from the 'What is Wildstar' trailer (incidentally, I think that this is the ONLY time we've seen a female Draken player character :p):

Clip_18.jpg
    Jynetik likes this.
  13. shadowclasper

yeah, but it's almsot impssoble to tell if that's just a chest plate and bare middrift given her coloration, the lighting, and the armor, but yeah. Consider my confidence boosted :p
    Jynetik likes this.
  14. Brenner

Brenner Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks for the behind-the-scenes bit and pardon me while I engage in some completely undignified squealing eeeeeeeeee~
    Jynetik likes this.
  15. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

From what I can infer I think that the low level starting gear for the Draken will be pretty different looking male to female, as well there are some obvious "sexy armor" designs for the female Draken already in the game as seen by those Draken NPCs in Deradune. However I would put some money on the elder game armors being a bit more cohesive in design between the two sexes.

Another thing to consider is that the Draken are not really styled as "rank and file" soldiers, instead they seem more like berserkers which suits their barbarian design motif. As well the Draken that we have seen seem to favor offensive armor designs more than defensive. The Huntresses in Deradune feature fore-arm and shoulder armor, literal breast plates, and some thigh / leg armor. This could be interpreted as armor that is designed to be light, allow them to move and attack easily, and if they do pounce on something the parts of their body likely to get bit / scratched / grabbed is protected. Or it could just be typical sexy armor and I am just reading too much into things. :D
  16. shadowclasper

that's all well and good, but then I demand equal representation! if the Draken females are going around in chainmail bikinis then so should the male draken! Equal eye candy for all sexes!
    Piroska and Huffle Puff like this.
  17. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Well already been confirmed that males can go (chest slot hide via wardrobe) shirtless. So you won't be getting equal representation here.

Very nice continued work on this thread, last comic was even better than the first :)
    Jynetik likes this.
  18. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I thought you guys might like to see what I've been up to recently, going to have some new content to discuss soon. :D

http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/1cd1d1/carbinestaff_i_propose_a_trade/

I see what you did there. It's interesting that female Draken have mammalian features considering their supposed "Draconic" design origins. Personally I am happy that they do, while ArenaNet really did something neat with the female Charr and their design it did create a little bit of a confusing read on the female Charr. I think the race is still really solid looking, and I applaud the ANet art team for bucking the trend when designing monstrous female fantasy creatures however it isn't quite my cup of tea.

As far as "equal representation", I happen to think that is a bit of a confused topic. In my view the amount of armor, or clothing or w/e a character wears does not have as much of an impact on representation as how the characters act. I'd gladly take skimpy bikini armor on my female Draken as long as the female Draken are tough, vicious, and generally just as bad*** as the males. I would not however take the reverse; fully clad head to toe female Draken that are weak, ditzy, and far less compelling than their male counterparts.
  19. shadowclasper

here's hoping we'll get something from it!
  20. Graff (FLB)

Graff (FLB) Cupcake-About-Town

Hey Look! I did a thing!
    [​IMG]
    Just a rough to get some practice.