1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Female Draken Thread (images, specualtion, discussion, blood wine with a side of fresh meat)

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Jynetik, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Graff (FLB)

Graff (FLB) Cupcake-About-Town

All likes and no comments D:
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  2. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

I'm sorry. Been feeling lazy for god knows how long:

Excellent work. I love how you keep the WildStar style with your female Draken. I love the smooth, curvy lines and that "Really?" expression on her; it made me laugh and was rather befitting. As an artist in training, I love your anatomy skeleton; was the tiny torso guide because Draken waists are so supportive or do you always do it that way?
  3. Graff (FLB)

Well from the female Draken pictures Ive seen, they all have skinny waists. But that also tends to be more my style too. I some times do different body types as well. But for female drakens they have a muscly/skinny look.

Lol sorry about wanting comments. I prefer them rather than likes lol
  4. Immaculata

Immaculata Cupcake

To be fair your artwork is wonderful and deserves praise, however you probably could have posted it in the Fan Art section and linked it for all to see. ^.^
  5. Graff (FLB)

Comics were being posted here, so I figured Id post my own female draken stuff :)
  6. Drunkatm

Drunkatm New Cupcake

Love that you took the time to do that!! been wanting some good info into the female draken!!!!!
    They definatly sound more my type women then the Aurin!!!! But who doesnt like a good rabbit stew???
    Also gota add that your Shorts are awsome work! keep it up!
    gota say thats sweet skills!!!! Im not an artist so i cant critique, but can compliment!!!!! wish i had your talent so i didnt have to keep swingin a hammer!!!!!!
    Jynetik likes this.
  7. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

All this new information I keep learning about the Draken, and their culture just puts Klingons in my head....Blood Wine in the threads title did not help. I was thinking of going Exile, but after reviewing all this info on the Draken....I may defect.
    Jynetik likes this.
  8. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

[​IMG]

Yeah I am a moderate trekkie from time to time and the Draken gave me the Klingon vibe as well (even mentioned it in my main post). So the blood wine mention was not incidental. I really like Draken culture minus a few patriarchal blemishes here or there and I think the Draken do a great job of plucking all of those primitive barbarian race strings while still being able to show us something new and interesting. I'm glad you found the thread interesting, I try to keep it populated with content when I can, sort of in a dry spell right now, waiting on Carbine's community team to get back from the old world and complete their end of a little trade agreement...
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  9. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

Nice little trade agreement you have there. I also took the time to look at those comics, and they are just excellent. Quite funny. I've been putting my drawing off for a while due to running a coffee shop, and working on a project for a company concerning graphic design (Logos, and the sort).

The lore, races, and characters may just motivate me enough to start a few bits of work here, and there. I keep trying to talk fellow gamers I know into coming on the forums, watching vids, and reading wikis about Wildstar, but they are too into looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online, and other games. It's too bad because the Wildstar universe has a firm grip on my attention.

Maybe in the near future we could collaborate on some art based on the game. It's always enjoyable to work with another artist.
    Jynetik likes this.
  10. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Hehe, looking good, FLB! ^_^

Female Draken are tricky to draw...I've tried drawing them but the results have thus far been too embarassing for me to post here!

They have this really athletic-looking build with a broader upper body than you normally depict women as having. Closer to a 'Wonder Woman' sorta build with those shoulders.

@Jynetik - only just saw your trade post on reddit! So awesome that Jeremy Gaffney responded and all but assured you more Female Draken screenshots! Congrats! :D I hope that they do indeed show us more of the facial / hair /horn variations in-game since as you pointed out, we've only really seen like two copy-and-paste models. :p
    Jynetik likes this.
  11. Graff (FLB)

I know right? D: Ive spent a few days working on this character sheet of my Draken OC and Im having trouble with it. I got the full body part down, im just working on her side profile.
  12. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Hey there Female Draken Thread, sorry for the slow week! I forgot about Arkship EU and was really counting on Carbine's community team to come through and deliver some new Draken screenshots for us to discuss D: my bad. I didn't have a comic done for this weekend due to a number of factors but rest assured that I will have a new comic for you guys for next weekend. Again so sorry for the slow week.

To make up for this I thought I'd give you guys something neat to look at, and it might even raise some discussion. It's a piece of original content that I have been working on as a support document for my growing comic ambitions.

Here it is, a character evolution / paper doll design sheet for the main character of my Draken comic. It was a lot more work than you would expect, but it will pay for itself rather quickly as this comic gets a bit more serious. For those of you interested in all of the juicy details and my rambling explanations, speculations, and excuses read on. For those of you that just want the picture, have at it.

Enjoy guys, and as always let me know what you think!
    [​IMG]

What is this, and what does it mean?

This is a character design document, front view only (at the moment) showing a three stage age progression of the main character of my Draken comics. Pretty much it allows me to have a reference guide for the character in all of her various forms and gives me a powerful tool to quickly create outfits, hairstyles, armor, and other character details and maintain records of all of them. What it means is that I intend for this comic to hopefully go places and I intend to keep working on it as much as I can for the foreseeable future. Over the weekend I wrote up a rough storyline that should be able to fuel a comic entry every week or two for the next year or so with some grand plans (assuming I can get the lore and setting information I need). So for you guys that means you can expect a steady stream of comics in (hopefully) ever increasing quality and complexity as I feel my way through this brand new medium.

Also while Draken probably don't wear underwear I added it to the image (they are all naked in my source files) because I respect the Mod team here at WSC too much to intentionally post potentially troublesome material.

Why was this such a pain in the butt?

These quotes are a good starting point to explain why this was such a difficult task. Most amateur character artists (there are quite a few on this forum including myself) will tell you that drawing convincing masculine and feminine characters is all about the body profile and proportions. Essentially you should be able to turn your character into a silhouette with no other details and any random person would be able to tell you "it's a man" or "its a woman". Each gender has very strong visual markers that define them, for men it's broad shoulders, and narrow hips, a typical inverted triangle shape, for women it's the classic hourglass caused by a narrow waist and larger hips. Pretty simple stuff and it goes a long way towards making for solid character designs (unless you are a Japanese RPG dev, in that case just make everything look like teenage girls and just use the VO to distinguish between males and females).

The Female Draken are such a pain to draw because they do not have a typically feminine build and finding the balance between their board-shouldered, long-armed, athletic design motif and a female shape is frustratingly difficult.

My process:

[​IMG]

In order to make my design sheet work I needed correct female Draken proportions. In order to get them this image became my primary reference and my overall design base. I designed the "Adult" character first because she was mature and would be fully proportioned. The first step was to determine the scale that Carbine had used to design the female Draken, using this image and a few screenshots I determined that the head scale (the size of the head proportional to the rest of the body) was just a hair over 7:1, a pretty typical scale. This meant that my Draken needed to be 7 head's tall in order to stay in proportion. The next step was to determine my shoulder and hip ratios, from there I could layout the rest of the body around those two key areas and really start to build my Draken. Using the image above and a number of super-secret techniques (I just made a copy of the image, flipped it, and used the two images side by side to project out a quick front extrapolation) I got a shoulder to hip value of about 1.2, meaning that my Draken's shoulders needed to be just slightly wider than her hips. I laid out my lines, added joint positions, limbs, etc... and started to flesh out the character.

What I kept ending up with was Michael Phelps, a tall, broad shouldered looking man with a big butt, and this was even after I had added the breasts. The problem? The breasts I had added were far too small! I went back to my reference image and really took a look at it and realized that female Draken have massive breasts for their apparent skinny build. The female Draken depicted in that piece of Concept Art (which I am assuming is a typical female Draken) has measurements of 34" 20" 44" and would be a 34 GG... :confused:

Anyway the point is that female Draken have massive hips that are disguised by their super-broad shoulders and they have equally massive breasts in order to make them read (be visually obvious to the player) female from a distance. Once I re sized some of my features the character really began to take shape, tho it looks a little unreal from a pure front-view because of those insane features.

And that is how I managed to get a proportionally correct female Draken for my design sheet.

Speculation:

I have no idea what adolescent and young female Draken look like. My designs are based off of how humans look at those various stages in life and so my spec sheet is open to change pending new information. Some things that I just don't know...

- When do Draken start growing horns and how quickly do they grow?

- At what age is Draken puberty and at what rate do secondary sex characteristics develop?

- Are Draken like humans in the sense that females develop faster than males and are often taller going into puberty?

etc... the list goes on to 100 some odd items. If I ever get a hold of Chad he will probably try to run away from me once he sees how many questions I have for him.

That's it!

If you are still here reading this I'm impressed, did you see that mountain of text you had to trudge through just to get down here? You're nuts.

Anyway, let me know what you think, I will likely be editing this post over the next day or so to make it a bit less hectic.

- Jynetik
    OmniStorm, AceJoker, Zilvoran and 8 others like this.
  13. Críostóir

Críostóir Cupcake-About-Town

The laptop I'm on is ancient, but it runs for now and I need it to continue functioning. Comments like this, and the bit about Michael Phelps, well... when I read them they cause me to involuntarily spit my coffee out and onto said laptop, and this simply won't do! :)

Looking forward to where the discussion goes on this - I'm curious of the Carbine devs internally have given this much thought themselves!

Do you have any updated pics? I'd love to see how the sketch is progressing!
    ruff_ethereal and Jynetik like this.
  14. InnocentCivilian

Frarurruraeiruwioue, Jynetik, so much win! :inlove:

I don't think you need to worry about drawing 'nekkid' Draken though, since that's how they are depicted in Carbine's own concept art (albeit anatomically 'incorrect', but it's an option :p).

I love your take on the way that Draken horns grow! That's something that I never even considered! Heck, your whole extrapolation of Draken anatomy from child to adulthood is just wonderful! :D

The huge boobies are definitely a thing, though. I reckon it's possible to make a convincing female Draken without bewbs that are quite that big, but I'd need to experiment quite a bit to make it work, if I do at all. Is it just me, or do they not seem smaller in-game than they do in the concept art?

This is gonna sound a little disgusting, but for SCIENCE, I'm curious to know where exactly a Draken's tail comes out from :p. Judging from the female Draken in the "What is Wildstar" trailer when they're talking about Warplots, it looks like it comes out from between their butt cheeks which I have a hard time wrapping my head around. :p

Also, don't worry about Carbine's community team not 'coming through' - I am CERTAIN that they will! They are still tired from the event and will soon hussle up some screenshots for us, I'm sure! :)
  15. Liris

Liris Cupcake-About-Town

I love this thread, love your comics Jynetik! Makes me want to go with a female Draken main. :D
    Jynetik likes this.
  16. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

IC, regarding the tail, in the real world (I know, bad reference for most fantasy archetypes ;) ), a creature's tail is an extension of the spinal column with some extra muscles wrapped around it. Humans actually have a tailbone, the coccyx, just below where the spine meets the hipbone. From there, you should be able to extrapolate where a Draken tail would diverge.
    Trigger likes this.
  17. Graff (FLB)

Its about 50% done! :) Ill most likely have the finished product up by near the end of the week hopefully.
    Críostóir likes this.
  18. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

[​IMG]

The tail originates where you would expect it to, right where the human tail-bone ends, it appears to be a natural extension of the Draken spinal column.

Something I want to know are some details on that tail, things like:

- How much control do Draken have over their tail?

- Is it prehensile, can they pick things up with it? Or grasp objects?

- Can it be used as a weapon to strike people with?

- Does it exist to counter-balance the Draken when they move? If so what exactly is it counter-balancing?
    OmniStorm, Zilvoran, Zerdav and 3 others like this.
  19. Grelin

Grelin Cupcake

So I found this in the Exile personality trailer when they were talking about the Granok at around 1:35... there's a picture of a female Draken on the right, don't know if anyone else noticed or not but I found it pretty hilarious.

[​IMG]
    OmniStorm, Chim, Eluldor and 4 others like this.
  20. InnocentCivilian

Oh fff, I somehow forgot about this image; thanks! :D

Everyone loves female Draken! :inlove:
    ruff_ethereal and Jynetik like this.