1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Future of WSC - Would You Help?

Discussion in 'Community News' started by Zap-Robo, Jan 31, 2014.

?

Would you donate to WSC?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2014.
  1. Yes, unconditionally

22 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. Yes, if I get benefits

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Maybe

24 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. No

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

All,

This is a bit of an awkward post for me to write - from the outset of running WSC from when I took over in 2011 I have always maintained that I would run the site at zero cost (be it in advertising, or subscription) from the community.

However, with the recent surge in popularity and traffic, combined with the cost of an impending child to my family I'm going to ask you one simple question...

Would you donate to WSC to keep this community site going?

Now, don't read anything into this - Central is not going to die off or close without your help and I'll be running this place for years to come (hopefully) but I could do with a little... assistance. I could even potentially make it so donators get some preferential account benefits (bigger signatures, custom titles, etc.)

So, if I was to enable donations via WSC and our Livestreaming would you donate? All funds would be funneled into paying to run and upgrade the site (or if donated via livestreaming, to upgrade the quality of the stream).

Let me know your thoughts - for or against!
    belladraco likes this.
  2. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

Like with any product, for me it is a matter of value. This place has already given me hours of entertainment, and it will likely give more, thus I would donate to help out. For the idea of it, I don't really see a problem with allowing people the option to help. Mostly as long as the rewards (if any) are pretty fluff material, then I doubt anyone would feel left out or led on. So I would keep the rewards pretty light if that was the case, but that's just me.
    Kid-Lee likes this.
  3. Kid-Lee

Kid-Lee New Cupcake

ASF would be happy to help our friends at WildStar Central. :) Thanks Zap
  4. inkfromblood

inkfromblood New Cupcake

If I'm willing to spend $15 bucks a month on a video game, I can spare some change to help keep the community strong!
    belladraco likes this.
  5. Anhrez

Anhrez Cupcake-About-Town

Place up a Paypal link and I'll be the first to send in a few dollars.
    This site keeps me connected with ppl that share my passion, its worth it to me to contribute something
    Crazyblade and Kataryna like this.
  6. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

dunno how much is site upkeep before I consider making donations
  7. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

I agree, I would donate to help keep this lovely place running. :)
  8. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

How about charging guilds 10p a bump? You'll be a millionaire in no time :)

Seriously though, I'm sure you'll have plenty of voluntary donations, myself included.
    Arawulf, Zap-Robo and Extatica like this.
  9. Rezec

Rezec New Cupcake

To me this is hands down this best fan site/fan forums for Wildstar, so no no doubt I would donate.
  10. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

I am happy to donate to that which provides enjoyment and I believe is doing good work. I personally am more likely to just give money for that which I like rather than buy a premium. As long as we don't have to pay for functionality, I see no problem with offering benefits packages, though.

However, I really don't think anyone here needs a bigger signature. This site is pretty lax-ed on that already compared to most others I have frequented. If you should offer such an option, I ask that you give a non-premium option to individually turn off posters signatures as I do enjoy some folks signatures. (Please forgive me if such an option already exist that I have missed.)
  11. Pilsnerex

Pilsnerex New Cupcake

This website and also your stream has led to hours upon hours of fun evenings reading and watching,throw the link up and dont be bashful.....everyone needs help and you are top people here who im sure youll find the community more than willing to assist you :)

On the perks note,yeah that might be a fun idea,dont think its really needed short term but as a long term gimmick for regular or new income it could help quite a bit.
    But maybe something like subscriber prizes once you get a decent number,ive seen it on twitch streams and that gets a decent interest,if wildstar had some kinda items available in a cash shop in future that could be a nice sub bonus to throw out.

But blabbering aside on my part,throw the link up,its payday next week....tap me up before i blow it all on fast food and women!!!!
  12. Hexamus

Hexamus New Cupcake

Name the baby after me if I donate!

No, seriously I'd donate :) I love it here.
  13. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

You know I'd help support. :inlove:
  14. zekkdarklighter

zekkdarklighter Cupcake

though I only pop in from time to time and take multi month hiatuses... I would love to, if my funds are in a position to do so. No need for the extra goodies either. Making things better for those running the place is reward enough, especially with a child involved. those things are expensive! both money and time wise...
  15. Crazyblade

Crazyblade Cupcake

I will try and help out as and when I can.
  16. deathtotherepublic

deathtotherepublic Cupcake

I've always found it difficult to pay for a forum but if there was a way to donate I would consider it.
  17. Zap-Robo

Okay, I'm going to try opening up donations (temporarily) to see what the response is. There's going to be two ways to donate...

Site Donations are fixed at 5 USD and can be accessed at: http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?account/upgrades

If you want to donate more or less than 5 USD then there is now a donation link beneath our Twitch TV stream. The direct link for a variable donation (with no site benefit) is: Donate Here

This is the only time I'm going to mention/advertise them (unless it's popular enough to become a "thing"). I will be expanding the benefits of a Premium Sub once I have XF 1.2 installed (more user options available then).

Let's see what happens - and much thanks to anyone who takes part in advance!
  18. Zap-Robo

Folks, thanks to a number of kind donations, this last month of server costs have been mostly paid by the community!

Since this has been a reasonable success, I'll be adding more permanent donation details to the Member Resources forum.

In the meantime, if you can afford to donate it would be most appreciated! (there are some features I'd love to add to the forum that have some additional licensing costs!)
  19. Nicholas Castro

Nicholas Castro New Cupcake

Im pretty sure you guys have earned using a donation button by now
  20. Zap-Robo