1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Galactic Archive

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by ruff_ethereal, Feb 27, 2013.

1. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Everyone will probably have access to the Galatic Archive, the in-universe Wikipedia. Obviously, those on the Scientist path will have more in-depth versions and more tidbits to chew on as they research and unravel the mysteries of Nexus.

That aside, what would the actual entries contain? Aside from the usual fare of physical description, disposition, culture, and maybe a little history, that is?

Personally, I hope it would be something like this: http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Monster_Manuel_(Entries) or just more like Kingdom of Loathing in general, really. That game is near and dear to my heart because of its expansive and hilarious lore and attention to detail. Pop-culture references aside, of course.
  2. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I'm hoping for something like a Dungeons and Dragon's Monster Manual; lots of stats, and even more lore than what's in those books. :inlove:

But that may be a bit much. :cry:
    Kirathis and moneda like this.
  3. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Stats would actually be amazing. The majority of MMO devs keep game mechanic numbers really, really "close to the vest." I'd find it pretty amazing to get that kind of info. Creature AI info, how mobs are programmed to spawn, HP and Mana/resource values maybe, entries on how large/elite mobs can best be attacked perhaps. :geek:
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  4. InnocentCivilian

Geek smiley all the way! :geek:

As a Scientist, I'd expect to be like that one kid in 'How to Train Your Dragon' who, when you encounter a new creature, can just spout out all sort of information about it (including tactics on how to defeat it) and everyone's telling you to shut up.
    Patrician and moneda like this.
  5. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I highly encourage all interested in this topic to check out their blog post on the archives if you have not already. :)

It sadly does not give an example of any kind of entry we scientists may encounter, but it DOES say:

I'm hoping to see what kind of extra info we get indeed as the OP ponders. Aside from lore mysteries and secrets, it would be awesome just to get further little tidbits, even if the scientist unlocks often looked something like is:

"Loftite was at first commonly used among the Cassian Royalty for those who had put on a few pounds due to high society living and wished to appear light on their feet. This practice has recently died down, however, due to an "incident" in which one Lord Lycus Trolovious made the mistake of strapping so much to his body he floated into the upper stratosphere at a social event and suffocated."

I'm thinking very much... Terry Pratchett footnotes, here. Hitchhiker's Guide style entries as well. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us, though. ^^
    sidhia, moneda, Kirathis and 4 others like this.
  6. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Never, ever stop being brilliant, you mad genius.
    Patrician likes this.
  7. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Oh, Patrician beat me to it! :) I was just going to post a link to that article on the WildStar website. I was really impressed when I read that myself. It's great that they plan to put so much available in game. Something helpful and really nice too is that each article can have links to other articles (like Wikipedia). I can't wait to flip through pages of info in the Galactic Archives! :geek:
    This! :'D That would be absolutely amazing. It almost makes me think of the extra bits of story info you could find on Pottermore. :3 Though that would take some time to develop and write up, it would be really interesting and fun to have available for scientists to discover.
    Patrician and Loveless like this.
  8. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Wow the galactic archive looks pretty cool. Just another thing I'm looking forward to exploring :)
  9. Ralanost

Ralanost New Cupcake

Well, after seeing how basic the soldier path is and how much it resembles regular questing and how much the explorer path emphasizes jumping puzzles (which I absolutely despise) it seems that the scientist path is for me. Settler seems ok for those interested in it, but I have always been keen on learning more and constantly being up to date on all the little newsy tidbits. All this info only has me more excited for it. It's kind of a shame though, I do love exploring, but especially after GW2 I just straight up refuse to have anything to do with jumping puzzles.
  10. InnocentCivilian

I can understand why jumping puzzles can turn you off (I wasn't hot on them in GW2 either), but the Explorer path isn't all about the jumping; you'll also have access to areas which no other Path can access. You'll probably learn secret stuff too, just like the Scientist also learns secret stuff.

But yeah, judging from what you said, the Scientist does sound more apt for you. ^^