1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Genderless Race

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Guide, Feb 6, 2013.

1. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Ugh, guys, I'm REALLY REALLY sorry, but I messed up! :(

See, when I saw this:
    Clip_15.jpg
    I thought that it made sense that the dialogue was coming from Engineer Biba. The speech bubble was above him, even if it didn't line up. I thought that he was the most likely source of the dialogue.

I watched this part several times to make sure I didn't miss anything, but then I decided that it must be Biba.

Now, reading Bellaby's comments, I realised that something didn't sound right, so I went back further in the video and there are two Draken standing BEHIND the Mammodin that I didn't notice before :cry:. The dialogue probably comes from one of them :(.

Sorry again, guys. :( I also edited the thread I posted the quote, just in case. :(

Clip_16.jpg
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

gah!! bad Innocent! /cries:cry:
  3. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Depends on the writers of the fiction. In Mass Effect the Asari are a mono-gender species and when they mate one usually denotes whether or not they gave birth to their children by saying they are the mother or father.
  4. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

They're bi-gender, not genderless, and they do require a gendered mate to reproduce. Genderless would imply asexual reproduction, such as budding, or self fertilization, or even something as simple as being build *cough*Mechari*cough*
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  5. moneda

The Mass Effect wikia describes them as mono-gender, which I'd assume someone copied from the in-game codex... but I don't feel like double checking that, LOL. They certainly don't need a gendered mate to reproduce though, as they can mate with each other, it's just frowned upon in their culture. "Genderless" may imply asexual reproduction but it doesn't mean asexual reproduction. Though now I'm stuck wondering if mono-gender is synonymous with genderless.

I'm unfamiliar with non-gender-binary races in any other fiction. Is there more to draw from?
  6. Bellaby

Godzilla...
  7. moneda

I am now picturing a Chua Spellslinger of my very own as a tiny, unstoppable force of destruction. Thank you.
    Fate Flyer and Bellaby like this.
  8. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

I think the genderless race will be the chua. Not much space to work with gender features on gremlin. Then again the rumored Exiles race doesn't look like it's gonna have genders either.
  9. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Technically, the Mechari are genderless. They are living beings, and therefore despite however their body is assembled to look, they do not belong to either sex. I would assume the devs were being tricksy when they said there was a genderless race.

In the case of asexual reproduction, the offspring will be an exact genetic copy of their parent and will inherit the genes of that parent only.

I can't see the Chua being asexual. If that were the case, there would be a lot of copies of the same identical Chua. My opinion: The only way they could reproduce without mating would be if you got them wet. ;)

Also, just because something reproduces asexually does not mean that it does not possess a sex:
  10. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

Thinking about this, if they were serious, by genderless they most likely simply meant having no male/female option in character creation.

They still might be sexual and blabla, but that doesn't seem significant enough to be a consideration in their statement.

I don't know :(
  11. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Yeah, that could very well be true! lol We're getting all deep into analyzing their remarks. The devs are human, after all (Cassians, no doubt ;)) and can unintentionally mislead with their phrasing of things.
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  12. Bellaby

When I see the gremlins, I think of rabbits, and...y'know...
  13. WildHawk

WildHawk Cupcake

so that weird bunny and rat like thing wont be playable ?
    THANK GOD !!!
  14. InnocentCivilian

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to, but if you mean these guys, they're almost certainly the last playable race for the Dominion. :p
  15. WildHawk

WildHawk Cupcake

16. InnocentCivilian

17. WildHawk

WildHawk Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Flamebait removed. </Mod Monocle>
  18. Bellaby

Well again, if you don't like a particular race, then you can just play another, no need to try and bring down people who happen to find small, yellow, and furry critters adorable...
    Liris, InnocentCivilian and Guide like this.
  19. WildHawk

WildHawk Cupcake

its abot yhe gsmes atmosphere which changes upon adding to many hairs EVERYWHERE and ppl who find furry stuff adorable should go play the aurin
  20. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

They had to add in the aurin and the (supposed) Chua to balance out the fact that the Granok and the Mechari have no hair. In reality Wildstar's lineup of races has the same about of "furry stuff" as any other game's line-up it's just distributed differently.
    Kataryna likes this.