1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Granok as a neutral race

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Dragon[SVG], Apr 15, 2013.

?

Would you like to see Neutral Races in Wildstar?

1. Yes! I think this would be awesome!

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. No! You silly fool! Everyone has to pick a side at the start!

47 vote(s)
    92.2%
  1. Dragon[SVG]

Dragon[SVG] Cupcake-About-Town

Hey guys. So I was thinking about how the Pandaren function in WoW and it made me think how cool it would be if we had some faction neutral races.

To me there is already a race that I would consider faction neutral. The Granok. Now I know lore wise they hate the Dominion but here me out. As far as I have heard they are mercenaries which would make them guns for hire. That being said they could be offered a large amount of money from the Dominion to fight for them against the exiles. I know that they fought the Dominion on Gnox weren't they also banished by their own people? So couldn't they feel like they wanted to get back at the same people that had cast them out?

That is my reasoning behind why I think they could be a neutral race. Bounty Hunters in SW would work for the person offering the most money, so why wouldn't the mercenaries of Wildstar do the same thing? Thoughts?
  2. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

Well I think at least initially they shouldn't have neutral races, though they do have human/cassians.

But for me personally, its the other 3 races for each faction that really give each faction their personalities. Maybe down the line they can give each faction a neutral new race, but the 3 original alien races for each faction should always be faction locked.

Otherwise, if you give your idea of granok to the dominion to it keep fair, and balanced you would have to give one of the dominion races to the exiles. And then those races wouldn't really be considered dominion or exile just neutral, and to me that hurts the personality of the factions.
    ruff_ethereal and Dragon[SVG] like this.
  3. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Uhh...no.

Granok despise the Dominion.
  4. Dragon[SVG]

I know the ones that fought the dominion do but I'm just saying if they are mercenaries theoretically couldn't it be possible to see them fight for the dominion as well? Also I could see some of them take being cast out as a reason to turn of their fellow Granok.... Just sayin.
  5. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

Just because they fight for money, doesn't mean they'd accept what comes from the devil himself. Mercs might not have a lot of scruples, but they do have honor, and most of all; pride.

Also, they didn't turn on their fellow Granok, the kids were thrown out by the oldies, exiled. They're not angry, they WANT to go back, but they'd be killed then. Besides, even if they were to hate other Granok, what reason would they have to turn on the people who actually accepted them?

Somewhere down the line maybe there'd be some turncoat Granok, or maybe some who simply went wild and crazy, not something all that unusual, but as a "neutral" race? Doesn't make sense one bit.
  6. Dragon[SVG]

Valid points. Thanks for contributing guys just wanted to see what people think. So lets change the subject to Neutral races. Would you guys like to see them or not?
  7. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

As far as I know the only Granok mercenaries are the ones that fought the dominion and they got exiled for it so I don't think any other Granok are much interested in taking up arms.
  8. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I'm all for neutral races but not at the start. At the start , it needs to be a little more clear cut , so that the factions can find their feel , their flavor so to speak.
    Later on they can add neutral races when they can show how it could fit both sides .
  9. Dragon[SVG]

I could agree with dat.
  10. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Neutral races or a 3rd faction aka inhabitants of the Planet Nexus. Seriously, all the indigenous folks are getting slaughtered. (Constructed Mechari not included)
  11. Ozlin

Ozlin New Cupcake

Well, i dunno. Why wouldn't we have re-programmed Mechari working in Exile? Think clear racial boundaries should be maintained, for now.
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  12. Dragon[SVG]

Yeah exactly my point. I agree to start there should be clear boundaries but who is to say some, not all, Granok might just want to make more money and side with the Dominion. And yeah why couldn't some Mechari be reprogrammed. I just like spurring thoughts like this. I think it is good and can lead to creativity. :roflamo:
  13. Yianna

Yianna New Cupcake

wow 100% say no.
  14. Dragon[SVG]

Dude I love constructive feedback thanks! :up:
  15. NigthmareSystem

NigthmareSystem Cupcake-About-Town

after read the "meet the mechari" i don't think this would be even possible. I mean, they are really sentient beings not just a program running in a machine, can eat organic food and reproduce (they have genders!).

But. I'm not against Neutral races. in World of WarCraft worked really fine and it's something really fun, but is something to do later in the game, because it can make some confusion in the player. maybe when we explore other systems in the space after the nexus war

also, I'm against 3 Factions. 2 are hard to equilibrate, 3 can make the things worse
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  16. Relapse

Relapse Cupcake

Unfortunately it looks like I'll be going Dominion on launch and would love to play Granok. However, I have to agree with the popular opinion in that they should stay where there are from a lore and an immersion stand point.
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  17. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Really has to be all or nothing in my opinion. If I could make any race on either side I'd be happy (even if I had to pay to transfer my character to the other side) but if its only a couple of options for both sides then its kind of dull.
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  18. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

We don't actually know if they can reproduce, the genders thing is simply because most species apparently have sexual dimorphism, and are more comfortable with species that have it too, so the Eldan designed their race of robotic diplomat-spies to take advantage of that.

Also, games can make 3 factions work really well. Any game that has a PvP focus really SHOULD have 3 factions because it keeps them at each other's throats and also has the fun of alliances and back and forth and such (see Planetside 1 and 2, and The Secret World).

That said, Granok as a "neutral" race?

Please excuse me while I proceed to laugh myself sick at the very idea.
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  19. Nyxis

Nyxis Cupcake-About-Town

I think the point of this thread is to discuss the idea, not ridicule it. I'm glad you realize that though! Thank you for the constructive comment.
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  20. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

I was expressing my opinion on the matter of neutral races as a whole:

EG: potentially a good idea.

and my opinion that the Gradok would be one of them: Ridiculous.

Mostly because I have heard this argument applied from game to game to game to game to game to game.

Again and again and again.

If it's not "Blood elves should be alliance" (or tauren for god's sake), it's "there should be a third faction using existing playbale races already belonging to one of the factions that requires there to be a ton of reworking done with the NPCs and units and such that already exist in the game and have had a ton of work put into them, and balance checks, and polish, and god only knows what else."

Bringing in an entirely new faction is more reasonable than that.

But as I said. A neutral faction/race is completely reasonable, even a GOOD idea to apply to this game (since PvP is a pretty big deal with it apparently with warplots and such). Just not the Gradok's place in it as a neutral race. Partially for lore reasons, but mostly because the sheer amount of work necessary to retool an already existing race (and requiring you to replace them with an entirely new race to maintain factional balance between the number of exile/dominion races), is unreasonable. You might as well just make the entirely new race the neutral one and save yourself the trouble of having to replace tons and tons of code and scripting and models etc.etc. when you have to move the existing Gradok NPCs around because since they're NEUTRAL they're not likely to be participating meaningfully in Exile positions of authority now are they?

edit2: To make a neutral faction/race work, you have to PURPOSE BUILD them for it from the start. Case and point: The Pandaren in WoW. There's been so much work put into the gradok, that talking about them becoming a neutral race is just kinda silly :S