1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Overpowered class

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by selodaoc, Aug 1, 2013.

1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

But melee has less "stand still and cast" abilities, not to mention if you're assuming a tanking situation, that melee could simply stand behind the mob and avoid all the attacks almost as effectively as ranged. The only difference of course is when the melee has to dodge that they can still attack, while the ranged have to stop attacking while they run, and then go back to attacking once the telegraph's over.

I don't think there's a significant advantage/disadvantage that's baked into being ranged or melee that the devs don't make it so.
  2. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

Well see i guess
  3. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I think it's too early to be trying to advise Carbine on class balance. Not saying FoTM won't happen, but I think we need some time with the game to see how it actually works!
    CaptainYoul, Garchomp and Destrin like this.
  4. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

The overpowered class at launch will be whoever can become invulnerable to attacks and/or whoever can one-shot you.

However, until the game is launched and everyone has a chance to play, we won't know which class or classes are overpowered.
  5. Michael Stevens

Michael Stevens New Cupcake

Ok first lets stop calling them stealth classes and lets call them assassin classes. Next, You cannot say that there has not been some very OP assassin classes that needed to be nerfed.

First lets look at what they are supposed to do, then how they can get the job done.

What are assassins supposed to do? They quickly and efficiently dispatch key targets to swing victory in your favor.

To do this they need to get to their target alive so they can deal the dmg they need to. There are 4 basic ways to do this.

1.) Permanent stealth, seems like a cope out, no imagination at all.
    2.)Dashes/Leaps, eh a little better but doesn't have that guerrilla more the style of a warrior.
    3.)Short range teleport, hence forth referred to as SRTP, I think this would be the way to go.
    4.)Short term stealth, STS.

Stealth can be permanent IF you massively reduce the move speed. (like unable to move)
    Leaps can work if you make them more acrobatic. To keep that assassin feel.
    SRTP would be good as long as its well balanced, and would require good timing.
    STS works but can be clunky and worse then permanent stealth in some cases.

Backstabbing a stunned person does not take skill.....if they removed all hard cc from the class that would take skill. As an example SW:TOR's Sentinel class has NO hard CC and is considered the hardest class to play by most players in the game, as an assassin class they have;

1 short term stealth (6s)
    1(2) leap(s) 30m (15m) range (speced)
    1 99% Dmg. reduction (5 secs) note: cost of the ability is 50% current health.
    1 20% dmg reduction 6 sec duration that refreshes every time your hit (30 sec max)

This class is very fun to play.
  6. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Your wrong. Assassins are a sub archetype of Rogue.

This is the typical response people have because of the way wow does it.
    Control rogues and other sub archetypes, Do take skill to master. keeping your opponent locked down for the duration of the fight is an art form.

Besides the stealth, Sounds exactly like a generic Warrior archetype.
  7. Jabberwocky

With the new keyboards and mice that allow you to program custom macros, the art form is completely lost. All you need to do is make a macro.
  8. Mellkor

Which is also illegal under the ToS of nearly every massively multiplayer game...
  9. Jabberwocky

How is it illegal? If macros are illegal then multi-boxing with programs such as ISBoxer or using KVM switches should be illegal as well.

I have seen a lot of developers encourage using macros to make the game a little easier. So I have no clue which MMO's you are claiming it is illegal.
  10. Mellkor

1 Button - 1 Action.

I dont write the rules, but ill be happy to show you the ToS's

In fact, I can show the news stories from a few years back when wow was banning people left and right for using hardware macroing.
  11. Jabberwocky

Clearly, this doesn't apply to all MMO's because there are plenty who include the ability to make macros that do multiple actions with the single press of a button.
  12. Mellkor

Then they are operating illegally.

or cite the games that you claim do this, and i will read the ToS.
  13. Jabberwocky

Off the top of my head there is:
    • EverQuest
    • EverQuest II
    • World of Warcraft
    I could list more, but those 3 should be enough to prove my point.
  14. Mellkor

Well firstly, World of Warcraft is crossed off: Blue post.

Ever quest i will have to investigate, will post back later.
  15. Jabberwocky

You still have a built in macro system that allows more than one action with a single key press.
  16. Mellkor

In which instance?
  17. Jabberwocky

Do you play WoW or have you ever played it?

I haven't played it for years but I remember being able to set up a good DPS rotation with a Warlock with the press of 2 custom macro buttons.
  18. Mellkor

I have, But don't now. But always keep up with their API.

you have to press the button for every ability now, And there is no logical conditioning....pretty sure there never was.

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=2  Hammer of the Righteous, Judgment, Hammer of the Righteous
  19. Michael Stevens

Michael Stevens New Cupcake

The rogue your speaking of is that of board games he can open locks, find/disarm traps, and scale walls. The true rogue has many out of combat utility abilities the groups needed, and most MMO's don't include these aspects of the class.

please rather then stating that I'm wrong because I'm wrong cite some examples so I can see the validity of your argument.

Except they wear medium and are the second squishiest class in the game if you play a sent like a warrior you will die you need a lot of skill and cunning to properly play that class.
  20. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

Not to mention setting it up, assassin classes spend ALOT of time out of combat prying their targets to be able to strike at the right moment. Assassins are usually even squishier then mages, and they know it.
    Assassins get 1 kill in the time a mage gets 5, but its the thrill of it that makes it fun.
    Playing an assassin in PvP is much more an "art" then any other class.
    Unfortunally to many players only have WoW to refer to, there are alot more better examples, like playing them in DaoC.

Ive said that before in this topic, remove stealth and assassin becomes a weaker berserker, the class that always gets targeted by ranged cc and gets rained down by arrows and nukes.
    Ive played those classes in huge scale PvP, and their not much fun, you die like a fly over and over.

And the last part, squishy ranged people wearing nightgowns that are foolish enough to stand alone away from their group, deserve to die from assassins in melee range.