1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Planet Nexus

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Fate Flyer, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Let's discuss the legendary planet of the Eldan - Nexus!

I was looking at some WildStar wallpapers I had saved on my cell phone today (deciding which next to use in my rotation for a background image on my phone), and I took a bit of a closer look at one of Nexus, and it made me wonder.

Here are two different drawings of the planet:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From these, we can see that Nexus has two, what we can believe to be, moons that orbit it - one that appears barren but with some type of designs on its surface (the yellow one) and one that looks almost entirely artificial (the purple one). I am not sure if these satellites were utilized by the Eldan when they thrived on the planet or if they are now used by either the Dominion or Exiles, but they do appear out of the ordinary...

Another thing is, if you look at the second image, the earth appears to have been purposefully divided by the ocean, as if the waters carved out these landmarks. I'm not sure what the purpose of this could be, but it does look rather neat from up in space! What do you guys think that is?

Something else I find fascinating about Nexus are the two rings, which (from the pictures) look to be made up of the identical things as Saturn's rings are - rocks, dust, debris, and chunks of ice particles. From an aesthetic point of view, it gives a very unique and cool effect to the planet.

Let's hear your thoughts, speculation, and hopes for Nexus!
  2. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

It's an interesting setup and should provide many different options for future content. The purplish moon looks artificial to me as well and they've also said we'd be able to visit the asteroid belt. I can't wait to explore the content they have out in orbit. :)

The way the water looks to me is almost as if a natural or artificial disaster like a tsunami, swept up much of Nexus and greatly altered it in the past.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/1...-an-interview-with-wildstar-art-director-mat/
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_algoroc_rogues_gallery.php
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  3. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

It wouldn't surprise me if the entire planet was some sort of Eldan device; I got a lot of Treasure Planet vibes
    from the planet-spanning glyph thingies. XD

[​IMG] Treasure Planet was Nexus all along!

[back to Wildstar] I love how that motif reoccurs not only in the regular boulders (and other stuff) that you see just lying around in the world, but also on a planet-wide scale.
    Fate Flyer and Kurik Lein like this.
  4. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

You know what the oddest thing about Nexus and it's two moons are to me? In both of those pictures, none of the "cracks" in the surfaces of the moon/planet look natural. They look like designs. I wonder what secrets are to be found... Man, I need this game...
  5. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

I was thinking the same as JarNod. In fact, the design of the purple moon almost looks like it could be some sort of power device. Almost like a generator. Both images of the yellow moon show an almost perfectly circular design with a sort of cross-hair design bisecting it from both top to bottom and left to right. To me, that looks a lot like either a targeting (weapon style) device or a type of communication system.

If they do turn out to be some sort of energy and weapon system, the mentioned cutting of the land could have been caused by them. Something else interesting I just noticed. Look at the design of the circular item on the yellow moon in image 2. Then look down at the land. Notice any similarity? There are 2.5 shapes that look like the same design as the border around the image on the moon, plus a line that looks just like part of one of the bisecting lines. There is also an obvious circular pattern to it. None of that would be a natural shape.

This leads me to believe this could also have been some sort of portal or gateway device that created a point on the moon and the land. Could the disappearance of the Eldan have been caused by a disaster from this system? Speculation FTW LOL!
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  6. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Looking over the two pictures again I wonder if the purple moon orbits the yellow one. I cannot wait to see the Day/Night cycle in-game. :)
    Kirathis likes this.
  7. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

It's awesome that they are planning on letting you explore some of space. :D I'm really looking forward to that. *space nut* Also - love the lore about Marauders docking their ships in the asteroids! Awesome info, Kurik! I had missed out on that, so thanks for sharing. :up:

Oh! Treasure Planet and Titan AE! Remember Earth 2, AKA Planet Bob at the end? :)

Yeah, that's what I find super fascinating as well. (O_O ) It definitely makes your imagination run wild. I'm curious to know if it is some sort of advanced technology or what exactly the purpose of those designs are. Must...unlock...all...secrets! :eek:
    Wow, could you imagine if something as large as the purple moon was a generator? That's a heck of a lot of power! I agree though that the design does look like a target meant to be aimed at something, possibly to be used as a weapon or a massive communication device, like you said, or maybe even teleportation! All great theories! :D Oh, and that's actually really clever to have put those two together -- to think that the designs carved on the planet Nexus were done by the giant moon weapon, if that is what it is. That definitely could be a real possibility.

Love hearing all these theories! Keep 'em coming. :]
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  8. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Well, the orange one not only has the lines, it has orange floaty things like the blue floaty stuff on Nexus. I wonder if they experimented on that moon first.
  9. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

First of all, it's only concept art. Which means it's probably not going to translate into game exactly as it is.

Secondly, the colours of the moons might be natural, along with some canyons on the surface. Some of those though, definitely look artificially made.
  10. John

John "That" Cupcake

The yellow moon is a parallel universe of the planet Nexus from billions of years ago, at an early stage in its planetary evolution. The purple sphere is a ancient, highly advanced reproductive device created by the Eldan long ago. It used high power lasers to physically cut a swathe of unique Nexus earth out of planet and then remold it into a new, evolving planet, ensuring a untainted planet for the Eldan to return if they are so inclined to.
    The Eldan device remains connected to the new planet, monitoring its growth and making corrections as necessary.

My theory :roflamo:
    Kahlan MacKenna likes this.
  11. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

12. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I think that Nexus is just like Earth in Hitchhiker's Guide, and it's one big super computer designed by the Eldan to answer some big question of theirs. The plan was to bring the Cassians to it and have them live there as the final step, but something mysterious happened and the Eldan vanished and those instructions were never sent to the Mechari...

So years and years passed, Eldan machines went a bit wonky, animals evolved and ecosystems flourished, and now the two factions have landed and are battling it out and mucking up everything as they try to uncover the secrets there...

Or we'll just find out the Rowsdower ARE the Eldan and they were watching and testing us all the time... Oh Rowsdower... Rowsdower... Rowsdower...
    Naunet likes this.
  13. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I thought you were going to say it was Mostly Harmless :p

I don't why I get a feeling one of the moons is dead. The purple one looks cracked.
  14. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

That's no moon.
    ObliviousPrime, JarNod and Veckna like this.
  15. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Sorry, had to do that :)

They did say somewhere there would be "off-world missions" so hopefully we'll get to explore these moons to some extent. Including taking off from the surface of Nexus, transitioning to space and then traveling there. I can dream!
  16. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

First vibe i got from those lines where ''i've seen them before'' (similiar lines in a dessert), didn't took me long enough to find the name of the dessert.

They look so alike the Nazca Lines, except that these lines resemble animals but still.
    [​IMG]

Now let's give it a ''purple'' look just like that one moon, and you'll get:
    [​IMG]

Looking at the picture of InnocentCivilian it looks to me like there are all kind of systems/computers that are linked together (or need to be linked) in order to become something great, mayby like an inter-galactic weapon (let the planet allign with the moons for some giant beam)? Mayby the whole planet is just some kind of Ship? Or indeed some super computer. Or the Eldan just made the entire planet as some kind of project to be able to investigate how races live together how war starts etc.

No matter what it is, I can't wait to unrafel the secrets of Nexus and it moons.
    Patrician and Fate Flyer like this.
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I think it would be awesome if they implement some kind of eclipse once in a while as an additional cycle. Making all the snowy places look purple, forests get some kind of mystic look, swamps became even more cloudy, and some beasts gets transformed and a (really) small boost? Like a pig with small spikes and suddenly during the eclipse his spikes grow longer/bigger.

Two ''moons'' can be used for so many unique effects :D
    Naunet and Zerdav like this.
  18. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Yeah that's what I think too. Also the concept art picture Ender used from the fansite for the WildStar Roleplay background looks like it's a shot painted from the dark moon. Or some other strange location anyway.

I wonder if in some of these missions we'll get spacesuits >.>
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  19. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

Not quite sure the physics would work with that second moon. Although the fact it appears to be molten does indicate that the gravity of the first moon and the planet is straining it. I would of thought however it would of crashed into the first moon, similar to how the second moon the earth used to have collided with our current moon.
  20. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I don't think they'll go too much into the actual physics of the thing, what with magic being in the universe.

Also, even if they did, since everything appears to be engineered by the Eldan, any matter of sci-fi explanations could exist for the orbits to work out without collision. :)