1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Planet Nexus

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Fate Flyer, Mar 7, 2013.

1. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

If by physics, you mean that the gravity will be lower on the moon than on Nexus, I don't think you have to worry. They've already said that certain aspects of the environment (like the blue crystals in the PAX 2012 video) would let you jump higher. They seem to have something like that already in place.
  2. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

I love the Planet Nexus, it's where I get all my best Skyrim mods!

That purple moon looks like it's hiding something underneath it's skin.
  3. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I'd love a low-grav Dungeon or even a PvP battleground. :p
    Patrician likes this.
  4. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

I was more indicating that the second moon probably couldn't exist due to the gravity pull of both the planet and the other moon as well as it's orbit which would probably cause it to crash into the first larger moon.
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  5. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Ooooh... you're right... All I can say is... Magic? :p
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  6. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Cupcake

I wonder if it's better than Earth...
  7. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

Hrm, that definitely adds to my theory that it is a power generator for the other moon. I did not even consider that the purple orbited the yellow....but now that I look at the picture again, I cannot believe I did not do so.
  8. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

What if the planet is hollow, and the circles and lines we see is a web of magic/technology holding it together and giving it density? Or perhaps it has to do with communication...

Whatever it is, those patterns must be important, because they are used extensively in Wildstar material not to mention in the logo, so I bet we'll see them a lot in-game, and that they will give clues to the Eldan...

Oooo...what if the Eldan never actually left Nexus...

One thing's for certain, and that is that something's going on under the surface of Nexus, as well as its moons...
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  9. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

So I was looking through screenshots, and in one of the ones I was looking at, you can see a round design on the orange moon. There are much fewer pictures with the purple moon in them.

But I also noticed that in some pictures, it looks like Nexus has 2 suns, in others it looks like there are 3, so I'm guessing Nexus is orbiting two suns, and a third sun is orbiting the two other suns as well?
  10. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

I like this theory! :up: Perhaps the Eldan are deep underground...

Most definitely. I love it. :] Can't wait till we get to find out more and eventually explore it ourselves! :sneaky:
  11. Rai

Rai Cupcake-About-Town

12. Fate Flyer

I thought the Halon Ring was the ring that surrounds Nexus (like Saturn)? At least, that's what it sounded like from Jeremy Gaffney describing it.
  13. Rai

Rai Cupcake-About-Town

I think you're absolutely right! :coffee:
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  14. WildHawk

WildHawk Cupcake

i hope we get to play on the moons
  15. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

They have said before that they'll have continents, moons, the asteroid belt, all manner of terrain and landscapes for us to play on. So I bet there is some moon maps.

The world they've described is pretty big. I believe they said in the most recent interview with Mike Donatelli that the world was about 500 square km. Compared to WoW in vanilla (~150 sq km) or even WoW today (~750 sq km) that's a lot.

He may have even just been talking about Beta, so there are more zones and landscapes to come in before launch. Not to mention whatever they add in monthly updates or big content patches, it's gonna be huge!
    WildHawk likes this.
  16. Scelestic

Scelestic Cupcake

!!! Me too, This game screams of Treasure Planet- Has not actually bugged me, but itched at me since I saw the planet Nexus.

Nexus most definitely gives me a Treasure Planet vibe, while the Eldan give me a Titan AE vibe.
  17. Elward

Elward Cupcake

[​IMG]

I was looking at the picture of the planet that was originally posted and noticed that in the lower left near the ocean that the earth looked to be carved like the glyph/rune in the Wildstar logo. I'm guessing that the rune/glyph (second image) has something to do with the magic that exists in the wildstar universe.

Now I like to think I'm rather knowledgeable of fantasy settings as they're pretty much the only type of genre I enjoy playing and reading about. That being said, the first thing that came to my mind after seeing the Wildstar logo was the basic elemental diagram (typically a star) that is found in almost every fantasy setting involving magic.

[​IMG]
    (This isn't my favorite diagram of the elements, but you get the gist)

Now for the speculation. If the rune/glyph in the title is indeed similar to the elemental diagram of high fantasy settings, I would suggest that the Eldan had carved these symbols into the planet in order to channel this 'magic' for whatever they may have needed it for. If this is indeed the case there would no doubt be other significant landmarks that have to do with the elements, such as the 'Focus of Air' which you'll find below.
    [​IMG]
    (If you haven't seen this SS yet, the focus is the tower like object in the distance.)

I'm sure that there will be more of these 'Focus' in the game, and perhaps they are based off Ley Lines. If this is the case, maybe these Focus' will be the outlying symbols in the larger whole of the rune/glyph and the part we can see on the planet was the center which seems to be blasted apart.

I would also like to mention that in the screen shot of the planet it looks like the rune/glyph is only half complete. It seems to me as if maybe there was a backlash that blasted the continent apart, maybe the Eldan tried to tap into too much magical power and lost control? Could this be part of what caused the Eldan to go missing?

Anyways I apologize if my writing isn't so clear, I tend to over think these things and my brain tends to go a bajillion miles a minute when I get excited over lore.
  18. Fate Flyer

O____O

Elward, this is absolutely genius! I love how your mind works! Also, +10 points for mentioning ley lines!

So, a huge part of me wants to reply really badly to this right now, but I keep having to backspace, and I must admit after my day today, my brain is just shot, and I cannot concentrate worth beans. But I just wanted to say right now how much I absolutely love these ideas and also to thank you so much for sharing this! :inlove:
    Elward likes this.
  19. Elward

Elward Cupcake

I decided to expand on my original idea of the markings on the planet of Nexus as being used for magic. I wanted to edit my previous post, but I kept getting errors and having to start typing all over... so here is the revised post with oh so much more information.

[/IMG][​IMG]

The main thing that caught my attention when I first saw this picture of Nexus was it seemed as if the planets crust had been carved into a sigil (Not a rune/glyph like I originally stated). After doing a bit more searching around I was able to discover that magic in Wildstar seems to be heavily reliant on the use of sigils, which is not all that different from many fantasy settings.

SIGILS

In fantasy settings, sigils are used in channeling the magical power needed to cast spells. They can also be a symbolic representation of the desired outcome of a spell. From what we've seen so far, the Spellslinger regularly uses these sigils to channel magic in order to use their spells according to many screenshots and concept art pieces.

[​IMG]

In this piece of concept art, we have a Cassian Spellslinger standing on a sigil that has appeared below her. While we don't know much about lore or magic in Wildstar it's impossible to tell what the various runes within the sigil mean. However, based off past experience in fantasy settings I think it would be safe to assume that they are representative of the elements. Another interesting tidbit of this image is that the Spellslinger has a tome hanging from her hip. I would suggest that this tome is a spell book of sorts, and if magic is used in the Wildstar universe through the use of sigils, perhaps there are many more different types.

[​IMG]

This is another example of a sigil being used to channel magic within Wildstar. This sigil has generally the same shape as the one in the concept art, but also includes a clearer look at the outer runes. Once again, it's impossible to ascertain the element that this rune stands for, but it appears to be water like or perhaps even wind. You can also see glyphs surrounding the outer ring which could perhaps be a description of the spell, or maybe even an incantation.

EDIT: It appears as if there are two rings of glyphs, one in the outer ring and also the inner.
    [​IMG]

This is the last example of a sigil that I was able to find, and it is also the most simplistic of the three. The only reason I felt it was necessary to mention this sigil was because it is the very same one that is in the official Wildstar logo, which makes me feel like it may have some significance.

RUNES/GLYPHS

While the sigil makes up the most of the connecting lines there are also the runes that are present in all the sigils and the glyphs that are present in some. Judging from the last two images, I would propose that magic in Wilstar involves combining various runes and sometimes glyphs (possibly for incantations) in order to create an elemental effect.

It seems to me that it's most likely that the runes used in these sigils are representative of the elements. There are two prominent combinations of elements that are found in fantasy settings. One such combination is air, fire, earth, water, light, dark while the other is air, fire, earth, water, ice, and lightning.

Now onto the reasoning for the glyphs involved in the sigils. In the second screenshot (in game one) the glyphs seem to be clustered which makes me think that they are meant to be words. Now I don't think it's too far fetched to assume that magic can be cast through incantations involving these glyphs even though we've only seen magic channeled through a medium so far.

EDIT: I lied to you, we have seen more magic. We've seen the Blood Feast of the Draken, and there are the midgets that are said to be experienced necromancers. However we do not know nearly as much of these two sources of magic so far. If anything, learning that necromancy is indeed a school of magic would make me lean towards have the elemental types being air, fire, water, earth, light, and dark.

BACK TO NEXUS

Getting back to the main point here. Now that we've all learned a little about sigils and how they will be looking in Wildstar, lets take a look at this horrendous tracing I did over the 'sigil' on the planet.

[​IMG]

Looks quite a bit like part of the sigils we saw above, now don't it!

LEY LINES!

YAY LEY LINES! If you're anything like me(Pray you aren't), you're a no lifer who enjoys looking up and researching ancient mythology and you believe that there is some crazy <REDACTED> out there. One of my favorite Earth based theories/stories/omgihopethisisreal topics is Ley lines. The general gist of Ley Lines is that there are lines of energy that cover the globe and that certain landmarks exist to channel the power from these energy lines. Some such landmarks are Stonehenge, Mt. Everest, Nazca, Great Pyramid at Giza, Mutiny Bay, and oh so many more.

Now lets translate these ley lines into fantasy jargon! Lets just pretend that the planet Nexus has these Ley Lines but instead of being channels for energy, they are channels that ferry magic through the planet! While we don't know much about landmarks on Nexus yet, we do have one confirmed structure that seems to directly correlate with this theory. The Focus of Air, which you will find below.

[​IMG]

Not the greatest picture, but take a nice long gander. Anything look like it could be the Focus of Air? Well if you said that big ole tower looking thing in the background you're absolutely right! That is the focus of air, but what is this focus? We know that magic is most often based off of elements, and air just happens to be one such element. I think that this landmark may indeed be the source of the element of air on the planet of Nexus, which would mean that it's also possible that it is the main source of air magic along with being a significant part of the ley system of Nexus.

Now lets leave all this crazy speculation behind and get down to some even more baseless theory crafting.
    - What if the carvings on the planet Nexus are indeed a sigil that was used to channel magical power?
    - It looks as if the continents were blasted apart at the center of the sigil, were the Eldan working with things
    beyond their control?
    - Could this possible explosion or failure of the Eldan be the reason for their disappearance?
    - Why would the Eldan need such large ammounts of magical power?
    - Do the moons have any purpose? You can certainly see that the entirety of the yellow moon is inscribed
    with sigils.

What do you guys think? Any of this possible? Have anything else to add that my speculation missed?
    iiFrank, Fate Flyer and Naunet like this.
  20. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I am seriously suspecting lately that Nexus is one giant Petri dish and the Exiles and Dominion are the two catalysts being added to see if a certain result can occur.

I'm even suspecting at this point the Mechari unwittingly (or perhaps even some are aware) orchestrated the conflict between the Exiles and the Dominion in the first place, due to Eldan orders/programming ... all leading up to his grand conflict on Nexus that is the perfect stimulus for whatever the Eldan have planned for the planet...
    Fate Flyer likes this.