1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Return of the Flying Mount Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Yakzan, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

If they have flying mounts, I would not only want gas tanks, but the necessity to keep them up and eventually have them break down. After you have them repaired so often they are not repairable anymore and you have to buy a new one. Maybe this can add to a skill in a path, repairing ships/whatever.
    Zilvoran, Mudfin and Psistorm like this.
  2. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Gliding sounds really fun for intermediate mounts actually. go up on a mountain/building, glide off it.

Here are my summed up thoughts on flying mounts, and mounts in particular. I've written some things before on some occassions, but since this thread came up, might as well sum it up again in one place.
    - First of all, mounts should be physical. Aka don't have a mount that acts as an extension of your char's legs (I can see it for animals, but SWTOR had NO excuses with speeders, seriously, it felt wrong). Aka they speed up, they slow down, they have turn rates and traction, they can drift or maybe do a burn out etc. This would imho add quite a layer of fun to the game.
    - Looking at the above post, flying mounts adhere to physics as well. Meaning you can barrel roll, loop, etc, but also crash, which either kills you or hurts a damn lot depending on the impact force. This leads into the next point
    - Flying mounts aren't VTOLs. They are at best, STOLs, meaning they need a short distance for a runway to take off and land. This means you can't land just anywhere
    - Flying mounts are restricted to a certain height above ground, to keep them present and visible to other players. You might be traversing content, but you're still visible to everyone below, maybe have some cool con trails as wellfor added effect. This keeps flying mounts present in the world rather than reducing them to spots overhead
    - Summoning a flying mount takes several times as long as a ground one. This means they aren't efficient for short distance hops if you are say, farming gathering nodes. Instead, they are for leaving a safe area (aka you aren't having your face eaten by mobs currently), and making a longer trip
    - Landing a flying mount near mobs will alert them. So if you want to quietly touch down a flying spacecraft, think again. Don't land near large concentrations of mobs, or you might need to make a run for it, and you can't mount in combat. (goes for both air and ground)
    - Possibly a fuel gauge, but since I would like to see air mounts being for long distance trips of safe landing sites, that might be quite countering the idea.

So basically my roles for mounts is this:
    - Taxi: your basic getting around the place, flying possibly before level cap (dont know if taxis are airborn)
    - Ground: Speedy getting around inside a zone, perhaps between them as you get to higher speeds
    - Flying: Long travels by air within a zone, but more likely between zones

Flying also is intended to be prestigious I think. Thus the height over terrain cap, to keep mounts visible. After all, I think it would be awesome to be able to see the lvl 50 people zooming about in their mounts leaving con trails in the sky.

And lastly, people say flying mounts trivialize content. But let me put it like this. It only is trivializing when there is no reason to land. You can "trivialize" it by going past things on a ground-based mount and ignore it. After all, once you hit cap in WoW and finished your dailies, there was little reason to touch down, outisde of archaeology or swooping in to ninja a resource node, and take to the skies again seconds later.
  3. Dean Fry

Dean Fry Cupcake

Is it possible for you to create a poll? Having options like:

1. Have Flying Mounts (no restrictions)
    2. Have Flying Mounts (with restrictions)
    3. Have Gliding
    4. Ground Mounts Only
  4. gyves

gyves Cupcake

The actual answer is that is probably doesn't matter whether you include flying mounts or not.

When I played Burning Crusade, reaching max level also meant I barely had to travel for myself. The large majority of valuable items were gotten within instances. Which means I stayed within the main city and portaled/teleported/summoned to my destination most of the time.

Ultimately, at max level the world doesn't matter. It is (unfortunately) relegated to being leveling content. Outdoor raiding bosses don't make up for this because they are few and far between while also being in small specific areas. With that said, I don't have evidence that Wildstar won't be the same way.

So assuming that the world will inherently shrink when you reach max level, how could a flying mount possibly undermine that even further?
    Mudfin likes this.
  5. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

5. Repairing required mounts
  6. Agathia

Agathia Cupcake

I'm quite surprise no one is negative about flying monts yet.

Personally, I REALLY hope there WON'T be any flying mounts in the game, and for a lot of reason :

-The world seems way more small than it looked from the ground. Natural obstacles aren't obstacles anymore. It removes a lot of epicness and sense of a hostile world. On another forum, I gave an example of a travel between Azshara and Winterspring in WoW. Winterspring is on a HUGE montain next to Azshara. It's ridiculously high, you can't see the ground when you are at the top. How do you go from Azshara to Winterspring then? You have to travel through two other regions. Ashenvale and Felwood. Both are really different in their mood and you also have a long tunnel to get through a small part of the mountain between Felwood and Winterspring. This trip should be like 5/7 minutes on the back of a mount but you get to see 4 different regions with very different environment and monsters. You feel very little in this hostile world which seems huge.
    Now, if you want to go from Azshara to Winterspring, you summon your flying mount, you aim for the sky, press auto run and 30 seconds later you are near Winterspring. You saw one brown cliff during the entire trip and you don't even get the feeling that this mountain was that huge. It's just a small obstacle you avoided without any difficulty nor effort. Sure, I still can do the ground trip but when people are waiting for you, will you do it? No. And after some time, you simply take the fastest way to go there, even if you do not like it very much.

-It empties the world. People don't need to travel on the roads anymore. You go in the sky, you aim approximatively and press auto run. You don't even look at the zones below because you are playing your Vita or look something on the internet while waiting to go to your destination. So if you're on the ground, you won't see any other player because they are just flying above you. You don't get the chance to look at an entire raid going to their instance.

-World PVP? Forget it. Once someone has its flying mount, at the moment he sees an hostile, he'll fly away. If you had the chance to engage him, he'll try to find a chance to get out of combat and summon his mount. This behavior was SUPER common in BC, even when you were playing a pvp event (like the towers near the capital). Worse, you could be ganked from a guy falling from the sky. I don't have problem with ganking but it is FAR MORE fun to hide behind something than going straigh above a player to fall on him...

-Exploration gets completly destroyed. Going on the top of a huge mountain isn't rewarding anymore. Discovering secret area is not hard anymore. You can see them from the sky.

The flying mount is, in my opinion, a really lazy mean of transportation. It is easy and convenient. For 40% more speed and the ability to go straigth between point A and B, you remove the pleasure of exploring the world the artists have beautifully crafted. You remove PvP and makes your world far more empty than it should. Plus, you have to design all the zones in order to be able to fly above them without looking at something really weird. Artists have way more limitations in designing the world.
    I really hate flying mounts :(
    I know that if the game has those, I will enjoy it far less than I wanted to...
    Yermoh likes this.
  7. Dean Fry

Dean Fry Cupcake

That would fall under Have Flying Mounts (with restrictions).
  8. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

With any kind of mount ideas I'd also like to see wind currents, so if you fly in the wind current you go faster.
  9. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

I wanted a ufo flying mount =/ please don't ruin this for me guys lol
  10. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Did you even read the thread?

Hint: It's about ways to have flying mounts that aren't the typical "go wherever you want, whenever you want" kind.
    Rumze likes this.
  11. rivalcycle971

rivalcycle971 Cupcake

Sheesh.. I have to say I honestly absolutely hate many of the ideas presented in this thread. Many annoying money sinks and "solutions" that just sound flat out un-fun. I want normal flying mounts. That you can use regularly like any other mount in any area that Carbine sees fit. Make it a high cost to train/buy, and leave it at that. There's going to be enough money sinks already most likely.

If skipping content is the worry, then make it so people have to earn flying that particular zone. If they finish quests at all the quest hubs, explore the whole map, or defeat the world boss in that zone you unlock flying for the future.
  12. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

This could have used a poll :p

Anyway, I'm pretty strongly against flying mounts. For many of the reasons other players have mentioned. But mainly because it is just a way to interact with a world that has nothing in it. There is nothing in the air, nothing we can interact with, nothing to do there, nothing to kill, etc. It removes us from the nice world Carbine designed for us, and drops us into limbo. No good.

However, from the other long debate, I also understood there are some good things with flying mounts. The views, some exploration, some convenience. So I think that having the ability to fly with some limitations is not a bad idea in the end. We can still see the world, and have many of the nice things that flying mounts can give us, but without completely removing us from the ground world that has all the possible interactions.

So I say "no" to WoW-like flying mounts, and "yes" to a new system with limited flight. Something that does not completely remove us from the nice world Carbine has designed for us.
  13. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

I guess it's time for me to bring forth the idea I had brought up in past threads and touch on why I'm so adverse to flying mounts, at least as they were popularized in WoW.

Grounding to the world, spontaneous interaction and events, etc.
    I used to love the idea of flying mounts because I love exploring so being able to get close and personal at last, along with being able to ignore all that pesky 'world' in between locations. When I finally got to do that exploration, it just didn't feel the same. Along with that, I ended up really missing meeting people on the road. I ended up just feeling like I just do idnoclip and ignore the world. Thus, I ended up loathing flying mounts for how they affected the world and how players met and interacted. This effects both PvP and PvE rulesets. I'll sum up a few of my thoughts on it here:
    • The world should always be relevant: I don't agree that at level cap I should be able to freely 'skip' through the world as if it was a level select screen. The world should always be an important part of the game, always.
    • Skipping content: The ability to freely 'skip' through anything from a few mobs to entire areas while questing really defeats the idea of trying to design a quest area. This also affects meeting people while doing this content. Which leads to...
    • Spontaneous interactions are important: I've been meaning to make a thread on this for a while but I'll touch upon it here. Traveling and doing open world content are great ways to meet people who happen to be there, and this is good for a variety of reasons (helps build community, makes the world more alive, etc.) The traveling aspect of this disappears if everyone is in the ethereal plane of existence that flying mounts creates.
    • Sense of accomplishment of exploration: I said once in a tweet, "Who is more celebrate: The man who climbed to the top of the mountain or the man who flew up there?" To me, it's definitely the man who climbed there. A large part of exploring something is the adventure of reaching the area and the accomplishment of finding the path, fighting your way there, etc. A lot of that sense of accomplishment is lost if you can just fly up there np. To me, a lot of the sense of exploration is lost if you can just do that and no one would care about it either. (Just look up Noggaholic for what I mean.)
    Now with all that negativity and such aside, I think flying mounts could do a lot for a game in a good way, if done carefully and with restrictions. In fact, there could be very cool areas or sub-zones because of flying mounts. There are a lot of ideas floating about how to handle it from having a cost or time duration attached to its use (Fuel, cooldowns), having environmental hazards and mobs, and so forth. My idea, however, is different.

Launchpads!
    How would they work? You would only be able to 'launch' or 'land' at these locations, nowhere else. Flying would act as normal but you'd be restricted to mounting up and dismount at these locations. What do I hope to accomplish with this system?
    • Flying will exist but without the ability to simply 'skip content' or the world in general.'
    • Launchpads could be more abundant than taxi points and even used to 'unlock' elder game content by having areas only accessible via flying (Think Skettis/Ogri'la in BC).
    • Launchpads could even be a Settler construction so perhaps Settlers could create launchpads at certain popular hubs or locations, creating player and path demand.
    • It will be possible to explore, travel and see the world with flying but not remove the 'mountain climber' sense of accomplishment of exploration.
    • It can act as the flying equivalent of the Road system in Wildstar (Roads give movement speed boosts when traveling on them) where designers can direct players along set travel paths.
    I am definitely open to brainstorming how to further refine or criticize this idea, as it most assuredly has some flaws that I might not see.
  14. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

If they put in gas tanks does that mean we can crash, or will be just slowly lose power and float to the ground wherever we may be, even if in the middle of hostile territory?
  15. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

Really like this idea, not only would it solve a lot of the problems, it also causes you to interact with another system in the game, such as settlers. Yay for layered systems in a mmo :p
  16. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

The reason why I didn't have a poll is because I feel that the topic isn't that black and white. I think there are a lot of potential ways to handle it. I rather have the posts and ideas speak for themselves rather than create a metric to look at.
    Rumze and Kurik like this.
  17. M3stro0

M3stro0 Cupcake

Only if it's limited and I would prefer to be able to PvP in some capacity.
  18. Hydros

Hydros Cupcake

I don't know about you guys, but I'd feel weird playing a Sci-fi game where there are no flying vehicles. I really don't care what the final decision ends up being, but I mean if the world was built from the ground up with flying mounts in mind, why not just include them and add a super cool twist to it(Like some of the really good ideas that have been posted already) IMO.
    Minutemike and Rumze like this.
  19. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

I would assume that you crash, die, and then your character instantly deletes. Hahaha J/k.

If I was designing it having a fuel system, I would just have it demount you, and then you fall slowly straight down with a parachute. However, depending on where you land, it could potentially kill you, I guess. Haha :p
  20. Agathia

Agathia Cupcake

I guess I would be okay with the launchpad idea. As long as flying mounts are heavily restricted, I'm okay with it. I want to meet players on the road. I want to see someone in trouble near that road and help him (you won't even see him while flying). I want players to play in the world, not going straight forward in the sky while ignoring me. I could stay on the ground but if I'm the only one to do that, what's the point? :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.